Heading to Washington DC next month

mead107

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite Touristy place:

I always like going to the Vietnam wall, and that's in close proximity to Lincoln memorial, WW2 memorial, and Korean war memorial.

Walking around the mall is cool ... Air and Space and American History museums are a must.

The National Cathedral is awesome to see.

Arlington is awesome.

Favorite off the beaten places:

Gravelly Point - A park right at the end of the runway at Reagan National Airport ... planes landing directly above you, so close you can see rivets.

El Pollo Rico in Arlington - Cheap and cheerful, but some great chicken.

Good place to see the Cherry Blossoms is National Harbor ... there is the sculpture "The Awakening" which is cool, especially with kids, they can climb all over it.

I was implying the Jefferson Memorial itself is still the main attraction.

The cherry blossoms are nice, but the Memorial itself was always my favorite.

(Note: I haven't been there since the WWII or MLK memorials opened)

We went down last year and there was some major renovations happening which took away from some of the serenity of the Jefferson Memorial.

My wife and I go down every year and do 2-3 days walking the entire mall and all of the museums and monuments. If you're up for a walk there are some great seafood places for lunch on the southwest waterfront. (Captain White's and Pruitt's I think.)

Now that my friend is one awesome recommendation. Could eat lunch there every day :thumbsup: .

If you're up for a walk there are some great seafood places for lunch on the southwest waterfront. (Captain White's and Pruitt's I think.)

These are cool as well, but just be reminded they are boats in the water, you order your food, then find a bench to sit down and eat..strictly lunch places in my mind.

One last food place..if you are in Georgetown or The Navy Memorial/Archives area, a new place from France has opened up called Paul. Greatest god damn baguette you will have anywhere on this planet.

http://www.paul-usa.com/shop/en-US/Shop/PAUL-Penn-Quarter_311

Edited by plenzmd1

Favorite Touristy place:

I always like going to the Vietnam wall, and that's in close proximity to Lincoln memorial, WW2 memorial, and Korean war memorial.

Walking around the mall is cool ... Air and Space and American History museums are a must.

The National Cathedral is awesome to see.

Arlington is awesome.

Favorite off the beaten places:

Gravelly Point - A park right at the end of the runway at Reagan National Airport ... planes landing directly above you, so close you can see rivets.

Good place to see the Cherry Blossoms is National Harbor ... there is the sculpture "The Awakening" which is cool, especially with kids, they can climb all over it.

My son lives in arlingtonI will ask him if he knows where El Pollo Rico is.

My son lives in arlingtonI will ask him if he knows where El Pollo Rico is.

El Pollo Rico ... it's Peruvian chicken.

932 N Kenmore St

Arlington, VA 22201

Wanted to try Ray's Hell Burgers last time I was there, but it didn't happen

Not sure if you've already gone but:

1. This is your friend: http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm

a. Just don't continue on the green line past the Navy Yard. The only reason to have continued on the green line that far no longer exists (FinMac Cool's - 99 cent fish and chips on Saturdays).

2. And as a follow up to point #1, if you get anywhere near "Anacostia," run, don't walk, to the nearest place that is not Anacostia.

3. There are a lot of homeless people in DC. It will come as a shock at first that so much poverty can be situated amongst so much affluence. Kind of poignant and sad.

4. If you get lost driving, and on every other block you see either a liquor store or check-cashing place, you're in PG or SE DC. You've traveled outside of the safe zone.

5. Take the metro if you're visiting DC. You'll thank me later. If you do take the metro though, remember point 1a. above.

6. 5 Guys. There is one on every corner. Best burger in town and it's native to Alexandria, VA. Cheap too.

7. Want a nice snack downtown, there are plenty of cool salad and sandwich places - "Cosi," "Brown Bag," and "Potbelly's" are the best (if you go to Potbelly, get the sugar cookie - you'll thank me later).

8. "Vapiano" if you like a la carte Pasta.

9. For the occassions when you want a REALLY nice meal (in my opinion) - Inn at Little Washington, Fiola, BLT Steak.

Not quite as good (and not nearly as expensive), but worth the trip: Smith and Wollensky, Fogo De Chao, Phillips Seafoood.

10. This area is congested. People drive with a purpose and it may come off as aggressive. The driving is especially bad in Annandale, VA. Don't take it personal and ignore them - especially if the other driver is not caucasian.

10a. Also, don't drive on 495 (or any of the X95 derivatives) between 7-9 a.m., and 3-7 p.m. On Friday, stay off highways after 2:30 and you're good after 6.

11. 495 is cyclical. W,S,E,N is therefore relative.

12. If you're hip and want to get drunk on some night with your spouse, go to Georgetown and follow the crowd. If you're not hip and want a glass of wine and a quiet evening with your spouse, go to Old Town Alexandria by the water and follow the crowd.

13. Damn the torpedos and order a shot of Hennessy Ellipse with confidence. Pay with plastic and don't look at the bill until you leave DC. As soon as "Ellipse" rolls off your lips, you will get the best service EVER. You'll thank me (until you leave DC).

14. Ethnic restaraunts are AWESOME in DC and NVA: Thai, Afghan, Indian, and Ethiopian food are particularly good. If you like Thai, Tara Thai in Falls Church is good budget Thai Food.

15. If you have time that you're not valuably utilizing otherwise, drive to Annapolis, MD and have a Crab Cake sandwich at some mom and pop spot by a boat dock. Eat outside and talk to the 60-something owners. Ambiance will be great. You'll lose yourself in the sound of sea gulls and 18th century architecture. You will think that you're continents away from DC.

16. Go to Ben's Chili Bowl

17. Take a pic by the White House. There is usually a lady across from the White House who holds up signs and complains about U.S. aggression against third world countries. Her set up is usually a yellow tent. She is really nice and will talk with you about anything. She can also tell you where to find a bathroom.

18. Museums are great but fleetingly entertaining. Spy museum is awesome if you're up to paying $20.

19. Back to point #5, STAND ON THE RIGHT, WALK ON THE LEFT! Thank you.

20. Be safe and enjoy yourself. Lot of really fun things to do in the DMV.

10a. Also, don't drive on 495 (or any of the X95 derivatives) between 7-9 a.m., and 3-7 p.m. On Friday, stay off highways after 2:30 and you're good after 6.

Been a while since you've traveled the Beltway, haven't you? Nowadays it's more like 6-10am and 2-9pm, except in the construction around 66 where it's jammed 24/7.

One point about the Metro: expect delays. There WILL be delays. Particularly on weekends. It's in a continual state of major repair (track replacement, switch replacement, etc). And the roof of the Farragut North metro station has been known to fall on people recently...a convenient stop to many downtown locations, just...well...duck.

Been a while since you've traveled the Beltway, haven't you? Nowadays it's more like 6-10am and 2-9pm, except in the construction around 66 where it's jammed 24/7.

Yea, thankfully my commute is only 4 miles, 15 minutes and avoids 495 entirely. It's been about 7 years since I was commuting on 495 during rush hour.

One point about the Metro: expect delays. There WILL be delays. Particularly on weekends. It's in a continual state of major repair (track replacement, switch replacement, etc). And the roof of the Farragut North metro station has been known to fall on people recently...a convenient stop to many downtown locations, just...well...duck.

+1

Not sure if you've already gone but:

a. Just don't continue on the green line past the Navy Yard. The only reason to have continued on the green line that far no longer exists (FinMac Cool's - 99 cent fish and chips on Saturdays).

2. And as a follow up to point #1, if you get anywhere near "Anacostia," run, don't walk, to the nearest place that is not Anacostia.

4. If you get lost driving, and on every other block you see either a liquor store or check-cashing place, you're in PG or SE DC. You've traveled outside of the safe zone.

10. This area is congested. People drive with a purpose and it may come off as aggressive. The driving is especially bad in Annandale, VA. Don't take it personal and ignore them - especially if the other driver is not caucasian. 12. If you're hip and want to get drunk on some night with your spouse, go to Georgetown and follow the crowd. If you're not hip and want a glass of wine and a quiet evening with your spouse, go to Old Town Alexandria by the water and follow the crowd.

16. Go to Ben's Chili Bowl

#1, not ot be too politically correct, but please leave that kind of BS that is underlined above off this board. No place for comments like that. I am guessing from this post you are a 35-45 year old white male living outside the beltway..plenty of nice areas and wonderful neighborhoods in PG, SE and yes even now Anacostia.

And please Ben's Chili Bowl??? I must admit 20 years ago before the metro came in and U street became cool, Ben's was awesome for 2 AM Chili Half smokes after a hard night ...but to stand in line with a bunch of tourists to get a freaking overpriced hot dog...as bad as standing in line at Georgetown Cupcakes. I like gentrification as much as the next guy..but sadly what has happened to Ben's is one of the consequences.

And BTW, last time Georgetown was hip was when Allie Sheedy and crew were hanging at the Tombs during St Elmo's Fire

Sorry to be cranky and picky..but comments like the "especially if not Caucasian" and "now your outside the safe zone" really piss me off. :angry:

Edited by plenzmd1

#1, not ot be too politically correct, but please leave that kind of BS that is underlined above off this board. No place for comments like that. I am guessing from this post you are a 35-45 year old white male living outside the beltway..plenty of nice areas and wonderful neighborhoods in PG, SE and yes even now Anacostia.

And please Ben's Chili Bowl??? I must admit 20 years ago before the metro came in and U street became cool, Ben's was awesome for 2 AM Chili Half smokes after a hard night ...but to stand in line with a bunch of tourists to get a freaking overpriced hot dog...as bad as standing in line at Georgetown Cupcakes. I like gentrification as much as the next guy..but sadly what has happened to Ben's is one of the consequences.

And BTW, last time Georgetown was hip was when Allie Sheedy and crew were hanging at the Tombs during St Elmo's Fire

Sorry to be cranky and picky..but comments like the "especially if not Caucasian" and "now your outside the safe zone" really piss me off. :angry:

Re: the "caucasian" comment - I think the worst drivers here BY FAR are the white middle-aged soccer moms. And I don't think anyone's a "good" driver...generally, people on the roads here are all idiots, regardless of race.

Re: "the safe zone". Sadly, he is right. Although SE is a lot better ever since DC enacted that whole "push the crime out to Prince George's County" policy...

Yea, thankfully my commute is only 4 miles, 15 minutes and avoids 495 entirely. It's been about 7 years since I was commuting on 495 during rush hour.

My commute right now is the ICC...which is SO much better than the portion of the Beltway that weaves through Montgomery County like a blind man planned it.

Re: the "Caucasian" comment - I think the worst drivers here BY FAR are the white middle-aged soccer moms. And I don't think anyone's a "good" driver...generally, people on the roads here are all idiots, regardless of race.

Re: "the safe zone". Sadly, he is right. Although SE is a lot better ever since DC enacted that whole "push the crime out to Prince George's County" policy...

My commute right now is the ICC...which is SO much better than the portion of the Beltway that weaves through Montgomery County like a blind man planned it.

Ha, love the blind man comment, and the ICC has been a godsend. I stay often near the Rio complex at my sisters house..so use it plenty as well.

In terms of the Caucasian comment, I am pretty friggen sure, as evidenced by the rest of his post, he meant non-Caucasian people scary, might be bad,might carry a gun, their skin color is different, don't flip them the bird and piss em off. And certainly never wander into a neighborhood that is not majority white, as that is outside the safe zone. Thats just BS and flat out racist

I know I live in Richmond now, but I lived in the District for close to 16 years, and i mean in the District. I love my hometown of Buffalo, but I also love DC and will defend it just like I do Buffalo. Its a great city exactly because it is so ethnically diverse..and just because a neighborhood is not gentrified and does not have white hipsters in it does not make it unsafe.

would have loved to see what this guy would have said about Ben's 20 years ago..as it was 100% outside the safe zone..guess I was always too hungry and drunk to notice :thumbsup:

Okay, off my soapbox

Edited by plenzmd1

Ha, love the blind man comment, and the ICC has been a godsend. I stay often near the Rio complex at my sisters house..so use it plenty as well.

In terms of the Caucasian comment, I am pretty friggen sure, as evidenced by the rest of his post, he meant non-Caucasian people scary, might be bad,might carry a gun, their skin color is different, don't flip them the bird and piss em off. And certainly never wander into a neighborhood that is not majority white, as that is outside the safe zone. Thats just BS and flat out racist

I know I live in Richmond now, but I lived in the District for close to 16 years, and i mean in the District. I love my hometown of Buffalo, but I also love DC and will defend it just like I do Buffalo. Its a great city exactly because it is so ethnically diverse..and just because a neighborhood is not gentrified and does not have white hipsters in it does not make it unsafe.

would have loved to see what this guy would have said about Ben's 20 years ago..as it was 100% outside the safe zone..guess I was always too hungry and drunk to notice :thumbsup:

Okay, off my soapbox

No, race doesn't make SE or (more accurately currently) PG county unsafe. Crime makes it unsafe.

On the other hand...safest neighborhood I ever lived in? Around Four Mile Run and Columbia Pike in Arlington. The drug gangs along the S. Four Mile Run corridor wanted absolutely no crime in the area, since it brought in law enforcement and interfered with their business. Those drug gangs were better than the police... :w00t:

No, race doesn't make SE or (more accurately currently) PG county unsafe. Crime makes it unsafe.

On the other hand...safest neighborhood I ever lived in? Around Four Mile Run and Columbia Pike in Arlington. The drug gangs along the S. Four Mile Run corridor wanted absolutely no crime in the area, since it brought in law enforcement and interfered with their business. Those drug gangs were better than the police... :w00t:

agreed. Btw, were you around in 89 or so when they walked the hookers over the 14th street bridge? Cracks me up they still have the no right turn signsup on that block around K and 14 th . Damn shame it all ended tha night LOL

1. I'm 34 and I'm black. I appreciate your efforts towards cultural sensitivity though. I didn't intend to be offensive. One of the best things about DC is its tolerance, diversity of thought, and acculturation. You seem to represent those qualities well.

Anyway, I was being a little sardonic but I speak from a position of knowledge on the subject and the area.

I grew up on the green line that I'm telling OP to stay away from. I went to Anacostia High School when I lived with my dad and Suitland HS when I lived with my mom. They were bad then and they're bad now. Gentrification has improved SE in a weirdly contrived way, but it's made PG worse because that's where all the riff raff ended up - well at least in the western portion of the county.

And if you think that I'm kidding about "safe zones," etc, go down University Blvd. past UMD towards the District and count the number of check cashing spots, liquor stores, and overall ghettoness as you get closer to and cross the line. It's no place for tourists and not the place that you want to ask for directions after the street lines turn on. Sad but true.

If you think I'm kidding about the green line and Anacostia, jump on the metro headed towards Branch Avenue and witness the classless behavior, "N-bombs," and fights that pop off with the young knuckleheads that are trying to prove something to nobody. Again, sad but true.

Now, you're right. I recently moved to Adam's Morgan after living in Reston before that. I'm enjoying a little bourgeois existence and I'm comfortably removed from the "unsavory" areas of DMV. I still appreciate the urban culture; but I also respect it's challenges.

2. Ben's is an institution. The internet has brought a lot of attention to it. But it's no less of an institution. And the chili is phenomenal.

3. I don't know about you, but MienYu, Third Edition, and Saloun are nice weekend wind down spots. Georgetown still has a nice flavor about it. Along with Fells Point and Reston, still one of my favorite places to spend my Friday and Saturday nights.

1332458980[/url]' post='2419353']

1. I'm 34 and I'm black. I appreciate your efforts towards cultural sensitivity though. I didn't intend to be offensive. One of the best things about DC is its tolerance, diversity of thought, and acculturation. You seem to represent those qualities well.

Anyway, I was being a little sardonic but I speak from a position of knowledge on the subject and the area.

I grew up on the green line that I'm telling OP to stay away from. I went to Anacostia High School when I lived with my dad and Suitland HS when I lived with my mom. They were bad then and they're bad now. Gentrification has improved SE in a weirdly contrived way, but it's made PG worse because that's where all the riff raff ended up - well at least in the western portion of the county.

And if you think that I'm kidding about "safe zones," etc, go down University Blvd. past UMD towards the District and count the number of check cashing spots, liquor stores, and overall ghettoness as you get closer to and cross the line. It's no place for tourists and not the place that you want to ask for directions after the street lines turn on. Sad but true.

If you think I'm kidding about the green line and Anacostia, jump on the metro headed towards Branch Avenue and witness the classless behavior, "N-bombs," and fights that pop off with the young knuckleheads that are trying to prove something to nobody. Again, sad but true.

Now, you're right. I recently moved to Adam's Morgan after living in Reston before that. I'm enjoying a little bourgeois existence and I'm comfortably removed from the "unsavory" areas of DMV. I still appreciate the urban culture; but I also respect it's challenges.

2. Ben's is an institution. The internet has brought a lot of attention to it. But it's no less of an institution. And the chili is phenomenal.

3. I don't know about you, but MienYu, Third Edition, and Saloun are nice weekend wind down spots. Georgetown still has a nice flavor about it. Along with Fells Point and Reston, still one of my favorite places to spend my Friday and Saturday nights.

My son lives in Arlington and works in Reston. We are staying at keys bridge Marriott. He lived in Reston when he moved down a couple years ago. He works for a company called SOSI international. He works part time to support his biking habbit at the bike lane in Reston.

My son lives in Arlington and works in Reston. We are staying at keys bridge Marriott. He lived in Reston when he moved down a couple years ago. He works for a company called SOSI international. He works part time to support his biking habbit at the bike lane in Reston.

"Key Bridge", actually. For Francis Scott Key.

Good location, too...I know that hotel. You can easily walk across Key Bridge into Georgetown, or north to the Marine Corps Memorial...a little bit of a hike is Arlington Cemetery, The Pentagon, and the Air Force Memorial/Radio Jammer (seriously, that monstrosity jammed VDOT radio channels when they built it :lol:). I recommend visiting Lee's Mansion at Arlington Cemetery, which is pretty cool and not one of the tourist stops.