Heading to Washington DC next month

mead107

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I'm 34 and I'm black. I appreciate your efforts towards cultural sensitivity though. I didn't intend to be offensive. One of the best things about DC is its tolerance, diversity of thought, and acculturation. You seem to represent those qualities well.

Anyway, I was being a little sardonic but I speak from a position of knowledge on the subject and the area.

I grew up on the green line that I'm telling OP to stay away from. I went to Anacostia High School when I lived with my dad and Suitland HS when I lived with my mom. They were bad then and they're bad now. Gentrification has improved SE in a weirdly contrived way, but it's made PG worse because that's where all the riff raff ended up - well at least in the western portion of the county.

And if you think that I'm kidding about "safe zones," etc, go down University Blvd. past UMD towards the District and count the number of check cashing spots, liquor stores, and overall ghettoness as you get closer to and cross the line. It's no place for tourists and not the place that you want to ask for directions after the street lines turn on. Sad but true.

If you think I'm kidding about the green line and Anacostia, jump on the metro headed towards Branch Avenue and witness the classless behavior, "N-bombs," and fights that pop off with the young knuckleheads that are trying to prove something to nobody. Again, sad but true.

Now, you're right. I recently moved to Adam's Morgan after living in Reston before that. I'm enjoying a little bourgeois existence and I'm comfortably removed from the "unsavory" areas of DMV. I still appreciate the urban culture; but I also respect it's challenges.

2. Ben's is an institution. The internet has brought a lot of attention to it. But it's no less of an institution. And the chili is phenomenal.

3. I don't know about you, but MienYu, Third Edition, and Saloun are nice weekend wind down spots. Georgetown still has a nice flavor about it. Along with Fells Point and Reston, still one of my favorite places to spend my Friday and Saturday nights.

Sorry if i made assumptions, anf of course their are bad areas.My bac.

Mead, i am stsying at the Key Bridge Marriot as well Saturday evening. We are meeting friends in from Philly. So if you see a crew of 8 in the bar, 4 of them being kids lol, come ove and say hi!

Sorry if i made assumptions, anf of course their are bad areas.My bac.

Mead, i am stsying at the Key Bridge Marriot as well Saturday evening. We are meeting friends in from Philly. So if you see a crew of 8 in the bar, 4 of them being kids lol, come ove and say hi!

Be on the road in 25 minutes. I wll try and look you up.

Just got home at 5:00pm. Cheery blossoms - Fantastic. Did that Friday afternoon . Did dinner at place below church key, fantastic.Saturday did Smithsonian, was fan tastic. Did American history , natural history, and Arts. Wife and son went down to the White House andi sat at Starbucks and had a coffee. Went to Ray's the steak house. Had grassed feed Ribeye at $42, worth every penny.

On Sunday we went to Arlington cemetery saw the changing of the guard and Kennedy . Went down to old town for lunch at a pizza place and some beer. Son took us to see 21jump street. After that we went to a bar that is near my son's house. The bar is attached to a market that has a lot speciality beers. Very good fish and chips. Meet Paul and his wife at the Key Bridge Marriott . Got to talk Buffalo Bills for a few.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Will do more next time we go down.