February 22, 1980

LewPort71

"Do you believe in miracles ? YES "

USA defeats the Soviet Union hockey team in one of the greatest (IMHO) upsets in all of sports.

USA goes up 4--3 with 10 minutes to go and that must have been the longest 10 minutes of hockey I have ever seen.

still gives me chills. if i'm not mistaken, it was a friday night, i was at a liverpool high school basketball game and we got the announcement over the PA system...the place went nuts, rightfully so....

"Do you believe in miracles ? YES "

USA defeats the Soviet Union hockey team in one of the greatest (IMHO) upsets in all of sports.

USA goes up 4--3 with 10 minutes to go and that must have been the longest 10 minutes of hockey I have ever seen.

I was 9 but can't remember where I was when I heard, but hearing the replay and seeing the movie a couple years ago still gives me warm fuzzy feeling.

(the sign of a good movie is even though I knew the Americans won, I was still on the edge of my seat hoping they could pull it off)

Dude!!!! How about using spoiler rules...I still haven't seen the movie.... :devil:

I was 9 but can't remember where I was when I heard, but hearing the replay and seeing the movie a couple years ago still gives me warm fuzzy feeling.

(the sign of a good movie is even though I knew the Americans won, I was still on the edge of my seat hoping they could pull it off)

it was late afternoon. i think saturday. was at a ski hill bar not far from lake placid in the adirondacks. very few people kept skiing after the second period. the place was electric and people ecstatic. just a fantastic day. i wish i had the money at the time to go injto the olympic village thst night or the following day but you needed a ticket to an event and they were out of my reach as a college student.

and just to head everyone off at the pass...Chuck Norris is the only one to watch it televised live!

Well, Chuck Norris and Canada. The game was shown on tape delay in the US. I remember watching it at home -- my Dad told me later he had heard the news on the radio.

actual true story...canada saw it on a 17 second delay so that chuck norris could go from coast to coast prior to the game ending to roundhouse kick all the canadians so that they wouldn't know the real outcome...he drank all the beer at the labatts factory in the remaining 16 seconds which resulted in the Baffin Bay....look it up

Well, Chuck Norris and Canada. The game was shown on tape delay in the US. I remember watching it at home -- my Dad told me later he had heard the news on the radio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fztlLwgSFCg

When the USA shocked Russia, 4-3, at the 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympics, Curt Chaplin was covering the game as a sports reporter for the ABC Radio Network. Standing on a camera platform in the crowd, he did play-by-play of the entire game into his tape recorder, capturing the event on tape forever. Now, after 25 years, these tapes have been rediscovered and matched to the video. The result is a dramatic, stirring and completely original experience for sports fans all over the world. Now you can relive the #1 sports upset of the 20th Century in a whole new way, through new eyes and a new voice. Still as fresh and exciting as the day it happened. Curt's call has been accepted as an exhibit by the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto.

oh my god....i found myself wringing my hands and getting chills watching that...holy crap....

youtube.com/watch?v=fztlLwgSFCg

When the USA shocked Russia, 4-3, at the 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympics, Curt Chaplin was covering the game as a sports reporter for the ABC Radio Network. Standing on a camera platform in the crowd, he did play-by-play of the entire game into his tape recorder, capturing the event on tape forever. Now, after 25 years, these tapes have been rediscovered and matched to the video. The result is a dramatic, stirring and completely original experience for sports fans all over the world. Now you can relive the #1 sports upset of the 20th Century in a whole new way, through new eyes and a new voice. Still as fresh and exciting as the day it happened. Curt's call has been accepted as an exhibit by the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto.

still gives me chills. if i'm not mistaken, it was a friday night, i was at a liverpool high school basketball game and we got the announcement over the PA system...the place went nuts, rightfully so....

It was Friday night. They played Sunday

for the gold and defeated Finland.