February 22, 1980

LewPort71

I wonder how many people under the age of 30 realize how big a deal that actually was?

I'm under 30, but I wonder how many people over the age of 30 remember how big a deal that game really was. I hear idiot sport and news personalities mentioning that game in comparison to the US Womens Soccer World Cup Victory, the Dream Team, the World Baseball Classic, 2008 Pats - Giants, etc. It seems few remember the political meaning of that victory and can appreciate it in the context of the Cold War, Iran Hostage Crisis and ensuing oil shortage.

Even if there was no political meaning, the fact that college kids beat the best hockey team in the world is nothing short of amazing. The Soviets dismantled an NHL all-star team in a tune up match before the 1980 olympics, and beat the eventual gold medal winning US team something like 10-3 in an exhibition just before the games, and that score makes the game look like a much closer affair than it really was. I would love to know what the Vegas line was for that game, if there was one.

I will never get tired of watching this. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0276918/

and just to head everyone off at the pass...Chuck Norris is the only one to watch it televised live!

well i watched in live..kinda.

Had the NFL Championships that night for swimming..watched first period live before had to leave for warmups.

Heard the result at the meet, whole place went crazy..but really cannot remember first time I saw the entire game..I wonder if ABC had a replay or something the next day..seems like I would have watched it before the Gold medal game on Sunday..and no way we had a VCR back then

i see it was played on a friday afternoon, then rebroadcast in primetime. it was definitely daytime when i watched it so it must have been the ottawa broadcast via antenna reception. i vaguely remember a bad picture on a small screen but that was almost always the case back then. didn't remember the game delay thing. it was a huge moment in US and sports history. just thrilling with people bursting with pride everywhere you went.