Buddy is so cunning!

Kaenon

Love it!

Let the Chiefs get Routt, but show heavy interest in him. The Chiefs sign Routt, and with Flowers and Berry, the Chiefs will be forced to let Carr go, the better CB, who Buddy will go and get him!

Yeah, but now they'll tag Bowe, so with Stevie unsigned the options go down.

I don't think I'd be too stoked to hear we tied up $7+ million of good cap space on a guy that led the league in penalties and TDs allowed last year.

Nix tied up millions in Shawne Merriman, who aside from selling some jerseys, has done jack and squat now in the 15 months he's been on Buffalo's roster.

As for cap space, all it takes is a signed letter from the owner to get another 21M on top of the reportedly 20-22M (before any roster cuts) to work with.

Nix tied up millions in Shawne Merriman, who aside from selling some jerseys, has done jack and squat now in the 15 months he's been on Buffalo's roster.

As for cap space, all it takes is a signed letter from the owner to get another 21M on top of the reportedly 20-22M (before any roster cuts) to work with.

Buddy tied up millions in Merriman?? I don't think so.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/1/11/1928224/shawne-merriman-contract-details-olb-gets-big-guarantees

BR didn't exactly have the best info immediately after the deal was signed:

Merriman contract details 10-11

If Buddy is so amazing as a GM, how did he hand out that kind of money to a guy who'd played all of 18 of his previous 48 games and then proceeded to miss the remainder of Buffalo's 2010 season?

The Merriman signing still appears worth the risk, his presence seemed to make other players around him better even in the short period of time he played last year. The statistics of one sack do not tell the whole story of worth.

Love it!

Let the Chiefs get Routt, but show heavy interest in him. The Chiefs sign Routt, and with Flowers and Berry, the Chiefs will be forced to let Carr go, the better CB, who Buddy will go and get him!

I've said it before on this forum, if there is any big FA this season, it will be in the secondary. Nix likes acquiring corners for depth reasons. I can see Nix being far more aggressive on people like Carr. I also said I don't think Routt would not be that guy.

Yeah, but now they'll tag Bowe, so with Stevie unsigned the options go down.

Yeah, we'll be able to spend "cash to the cap" to replace Bell and Johnson... Round 1 we pick replacement OT, Round 2 replacement WR,... then in Round 3 we can select a replacement TE and let Chandler walk too

:wallbash:

Edited by cage

The Merriman signing still appears worth the risk, his presence seemed to make other players around him better even in the short period of time he played last year. The statistics of one sack do not tell the whole story of worth.

He was so effective in those first 5 games the Bills defense yielded only 2,109 yards or 422 per game. If anything, the defense improved from Game 6-16 when they allowed 348.1 yards per game and he was again on the sidelines.

This concept that Merriman helped in ways not quantifiable is really reaching. For the money he was paid, he didn't do anything and his contract prevents the team from spending elsewhere.

He was so effective in those first 5 games the Bills defense yielded only 2,109 yards or 422 per game. If anything, the defense improved from Game 6-16 when they allowed 348.1 yards per game and he was again on the sidelines.

Aren't you comparing apples to oranges? Did we play the same teams using the same defensive schemes during the two stretches? Also, as I recall , our replacement outside linebackers seemed to be pretty poor at holding the edge against running backs compared to the hobbled lb that you seem to hate a lot. Weren't there lots of runs for huge gains by running backs being able to bounce to the outside after seeing nothing between the tackles. Were there a lot of big runs during the games that Merriman played?