netflix sleeper movies, series

birdog1960

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say it before you dorks say it for me. I'm a total chick for liking "Downton Abbey."

Of course it's not a sleeper, since it's won so many awards -- but it's at least worth a shot for those of you who have been hesitant.

No worries, man. I just started watching it and I think it's fantastic.

daybreakers-2010-r4-front-cover-49154.jpg

Had a lot of fun with this one tonight...I think this is the film Selmon recommended a while back. The first 15 mins were incredibly entertaining. Overall the first half was better than the second, but the film was a fun ride from start to finish.

One of the best shows ever on TV. Michael Mann, who did Heat, was the creator. Chuck Adamson, who was a longtime Chicago PD Detective, wrote many episodes. Set in early 60's Chicago. You'll recognize so many people in this show. Excellent story telling that is the precursor to the Sopranos and others. Linked the pilot and the rest of the series is free on hulu. If you're looking for a series to get into, here you go.

For any fans of Phantom of the Opera, there is a 25th Annivesary show that was filmed live and produced as a dvd/bluray. It's available via Netflix streaming and it's really, really well done.

I'm not a big musical guy, but Phantom was a special thing for me when I attended in Toronto in '95. I wish they'd do this with the Broadway version of The LIon King. For anyone who hasn't seen it live, the Lion King is phenomenal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just watched "Red Dog", an Aussie film about a very cool dog and the people of a western australian industrial town. was browsing the family genre section cuz we're tired of angst ridden films. funny and touching. highly recommended.

• 3 weeks later...

Also, if you guys want to see a realy, um, "different" documentary, check out "I Think We're Alone Now". It's about two guys who are totally infatuated/borerline stalkers of Tiffany, the pop star from the 80s. I really don't know what to say about it, other than it held my interest. Just something you don't see every day, let's leave it at that smile.gif

Watching it now, the he/she is kinda freaky.

One of my favorite films from last year, "End of Watch", just hit Netflix streaming...pretty intense at times, but overall a very solid flick, IMO.

Also, for any fellow Sacha Baron Cohen fans, "The Dictator" is also available.