Big Lineman

It seems Dave likes big lineman after all.

"Outlining his philosophy, Wannstedt said his defenses rely on big linemen, who can plug holes and pressure quarterbacks, while being supported by mobile linebackers. His top priority is improving the blitz after the Bills finished tied for 30th in the NFL with 29 sacks."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-steviejohnson

If Kyle Williams can come back to 75% of what he was, this defense will be in pretty decent shape. I agree with DW's philosophy and it make work out better in today's NFL. With so much passing, you need mobile LBs. Get big guys to plug up holes so your speedy guys can make plays. If you team is bad against the run, the problem normally starts up front. Like RBs, LBs are as good as the line in front of them.

1329506559[/url]' post='2384939']

It's possible. Alex Carrington is about the same size as Brockers (and not nearly as athletic), and he is projected to play some at 4-3 DE. He certainly would not be the prototypical 4-3 end, but he can do it all....including get after the QB. Watch some tape on the guy.

He's projected to be a DE because we don't have any other guys that can play DE and we have others that can play DT (Williams, Dareus, Johnson, Heard, Troupe). At DE we have Kelsey. No one knows about Merriman. Edwards isn't a 4-3 DE and should be cut. He's not worth the money as a backup DT. Can Batten or Moats play 4-3 DE? Who knows? The only place Carrington fits is DE now and we have no idea if he'll be successful. I've always had really high hopes for Carrington, but he's been disappointing. I'd pass on Brockers as a DE. I think he'll be a great DT though.

He's projected to be a DE because we don't have any other guys that can play DE and we have others that can play DT (Williams, Dareus, Johnson, Heard, Troupe). At DE we have Kelsey. No one knows about Merriman. Edwards isn't a 4-3 DE and should be cut. He's not worth the money as a backup DT. Can Batten or Moats play 4-3 DE? Who knows? The only place Carrington fits is DE now and we have no idea if he'll be successful. I've always had really high hopes for Carrington, but he's been disappointing. I'd pass on Brockers as a DE. I think he'll be a great DT though.

I agree with everything you mentioned, and I would also prefer a player who is more "scheme versatile" than is Brockers. I, personally, would rather see Melvin Ingram, Whitney Mercilus, or Nick Perry with the #10 pick. I guess I was responding directly to the OP's point that Wanny likes bigger linemen. I recently watched some tape of Brockers and his athleticism really stood out to me. Thought it would be worth some discussion.

Michael Brockers anyone? I know he's probably best suited to play 4-3 DT (6' 6" - 306), but many scouts think he has the speed and athleticism to play any position on the defensive line.

Could be a surprise pick and if he could play DE he would be a slam dunk. Another DT/DE type of guy would be Jaye Howard out of Florida 6'3" 302. Didn't see him much this year cause Florida wasn't on much but he was making plays for them two years ago and he was very impressive in pass rush drills at the senior bowl rushing from tackle and End.

Reggie White was 6'5" 300 and as far as I'm concerned was the best DE ever and he played 43 his whole career. Maybe there will be a shift back to bigger ends and guys like Brockers and Howard will be a part of that.

I'm going with this Ingram kid. I took a good look at him in the east vs. West practices and the game itself and I think he will be this draft's Pierre Paul...

Senior bowl?

275 is big he just isn't tall, what matters most is can they make plays.

My opinion is that there are no game-changing pass rushers and every one of them

seems to be a significant compromise. Ingram seems to be the more athletic between

he and Upshaw, but I don't see a great pass rusher in Ingram.

Upshaw is more plow-horse than thoroughbred - at not quite 6'2" and 275 his game is

solely power and effort. He is a safe, high-floor kind of player if you are looking for

a 4-3 DE who can stop the run and provide a bit of bull-rush, but I don't think he'll have

as much success bull-rushing HUGE NFL OTs and he doesn't possess the speed or

moves to get around them.

Coples has too many questions regarding his production and effort, but he is clearly

a superior athlete that can excel when he wants to.

I haven't seen much of Mercilus, but from the admittedly limited highlight videos, he

moves very smoothly. He might have a lot of upside, but why didn't he do anything

until this year?

It is a really poor year for pass rushing DEs. It isn't great for 4-3 OLBs, either. Unfortunately,

those are the positions that the Bills MUST improve in order to make headway on defense.

My opinion is that there are no game-changing pass rushers and every one of them

seems to be a significant compromise. Ingram seems to be the more athletic between

he and Upshaw, but I don't see a great pass rusher in Ingram.

Upshaw is more plow-horse than thoroughbred - at not quite 6'2" and 275 his game is

solely power and effort. He is a safe, high-floor kind of player if you are looking for

a 4-3 DE who can stop the run and provide a bit of bull-rush, but I don't think he'll have

as much success bull-rushing HUGE NFL OTs and he doesn't possess the speed or

moves to get around them.

Coples has too many questions regarding his production and effort, but he is clearly

a superior athlete that can excel when he wants to.

I haven't seen much of Mercilus, but from the admittedly limited highlight videos, he

moves very smoothly. He might have a lot of upside, but why didn't he do anything

until this year?

It is a really poor year for pass rushing DEs. It isn't great for 4-3 OLBs, either. Unfortunately,

those are the positions that the Bills MUST improve in order to make headway on defense.

Sad but true although I think Ingram will be good like Elvis Dumerville. There may be just as good passrushers in the latter rounds; Crick, Vinny Curry, Chandler Jones, Cordarro Law, etc.

Sad but true although I think Ingram will be good like Elvis Dumerville. There may be just as good passrushers in the latter rounds; Crick, Vinny Curry, Chandler Jones, Cordarro Law, etc.

I agree that Ingram might be a pretty good pass rusher - I just don't see someone who will

single-handedly elevate the pass rush. I also hope that you are right about some decent pass rushers

who may be available in round 2.

Given that, I am sort of moving to the camp that thinks the Bills should address another position

in round 1. Perhaps there will be a very good LT available or possibly an outstanding CB. If

the chance arises to get a really outstanding player at a lesser position of need, then I think

that will be a better option than a small upgrade at DE or OLB.

While it is not usually the Bills' M.O., they need to address DE and OLB in free agency and then

hope to be able to bolster that with picks after round 1 in the draft.