Ten things I know I think

Kelly the Dog

1. Nate has really picked up his game in the last few weeks and has now started being the playmaker without giving up the plays or making bonehead plays. He's also, obviously, an excellent return man if he hangs onto the ball.

2. Say it's Willis all you want but I am really only giving him 20% of the credit for the offensive resurgence. The coaching, play-calling, play-design, and putting players in plays where they can make plays is just as important, the improved offensive line play (also due to coaching) is JUST as important (there were actual holes to run through in this game and Shaud was just as effective as Willis), the addition of Evans opposite Moulds as another go-to guy and playmaker is JUST as important, and yes, the improved, efficient, few mistakes stewardship of the quarterback is JUST as important. Without ALL of those components we would not be seeing nearly the improvement. Willis has been great but it simply wouldn't matter much if any of the other things were not equally as great and equally as improved.

3. This season is further irrefutable proof that when you suck the ball bounces one way the bad way, and when you are good or great the ball bounces another way, the good way. It is a truly amazing phenomenon. Now, when the ball is tipped, it falls down to our guy. Before, when the ball was tipped, it went right to the hands of another of the bad guys. Someone needs to do a study.

4. Virtually every single one of the snaps yesterday by Non Dorenbos were shaky at best. I hope that doesnt come back to haunt us. (I think perhaps the punt snaps were okay, but the extra points and FG snaps were excellent saves by Moorman.

5. I know it's been said before, but each week gets a little more remarkable, with all those high scoring teams we had in the Kelly years, we have now broken the team record for most points in three straight games, four straight games, five straight games and six straight games. I really think we put up 30 next week, too, against the Steelers (playing some scrubs), which will likely break the seven game record.

6. Mularkey is starting to make a lot of little calls that show his experience in the league. He has all the makings of a great coach. It remains to be seen, obviously, but little touches here and there, along with the obvious turnaround big picture gives us a lot of hope for the future.

7. Look for the no huddle to be used more and more in the Steelers game and in the playoffs if we get there. This is not a power running team at all, this is a balanced offense. We threw on 12 of 16 first downs I believe. Every game in this stretch we have come out passing. Every one.

8. It doesn't seem to matter who we put in, like the Patriots (I am NOT saying we are even close to the Patriots). Kevin Thomas made a phenomenal play strip of the ball on that blitz/sack. Jabari Greer was in the game early and often (I don't know why but he seemed to play well).

9. The special teams are just sick. I don't think the 49ers had one good return. We punted twice and the first time Moorman puts it OB right at the eight and the second time throws a nice pass that was dropped by Burns that would have been a first. Nate had 4 returns, all of them significant chunks of yardage if I remember. Lindell made both of his easy kicks. McGee had one return of 36 yards. It's no longer a fluke, and it's every one of the special teams. There really should be an award for Coordinator of the Year (between O, D and ST, and April would be in the running)

10. We punish people on the field and on the scoreboard. Check out the injury lists after every Bills game. The opponent always has 8-10 players hurt or battered or bruised.

It's damn fun to be a Bills fan again.

1. Nate has really picked up his game in the last few weeks and has now started being the playmaker without giving up the plays or making bonehead plays. He's also, obviously, an excellent return man if he hangs onto the ball.

180196[/snapback]

I was wrong on Clements. During the off-season, I thought the Bills should have re-signed AW and let NC walk after the 2005 season. Not only has his pass defense improved in terms of not giving up the big play, I think he has stepped it up in terms of run defense. Now the question is, does TD try to get him signed to an extension or let him walk after 2005 ala AW.

3. This season is further irrefutable proof that when you suck the ball bounces one way the bad way, and when you are good or great the ball bounces another way, the good way. It is a truly amazing phenomenon. Now, then the ball is tipped, it falls down to our guy. Before, when the ball was tipped, it went right to the hands of another of the bad guys. Someone needs to do a study.

180196[/snapback]

We need the ball to bounce just the right way in one of two games next week.

Go Indy :blink:

Go Rams ;)

While I agree the special teams are playing great, have you ever seen a team, SF, bobble so many kickoffs.

And have you noticed that the receivers are actually catching passes they would have dropped( or worse, tipped) earlier in the year. Winning teams make plays, and the Bills are all of a sudden, making plays. There were several nice catches in yesterdays game.

9. The special teams are just sick. I don't think the 49ers had one good return. We punted twice and the first time Moorman puts it OB right at the eight and the second time throws a nice pass that was dropped by Burns that would have been a first. Nate had 4 returns, all of them significant chunks of yardage if I remember. Lindell made both of his easy kicks. McGee had one return of 36 yards. It's no longer a fluke, and it's every one of the special teams. There really should be an award for Coordinator of the Year (between O, D and ST, and April would be in the running)

180196[/snapback]

Good post, Kelly.

Nice to see that the "Get Coy Wire Outta Town" posts have ceased. Some of them said that he didn't even deserve a roster spot.

9. The special teams are just sick. I don't think the 49ers had one good return. We punted twice and the first time Moorman puts it OB right at the eight and the second time throws a nice pass that was dropped by Burns that would have been a first.

I believe it was Preileau(sp?) that dropped that. He dropped an easy INT during scrub time recently, too. He might be a good tackler, maintain decent positioninng, but he's one of the reasons we didn't get too mant INTs last year.

I believe it was Preileau(sp?) that dropped that.  He dropped an easy INT during scrub time recently, too.  He might be a good tackler, maintain decent positioninng, but he's one of the reasons we didn't get too mant INTs last year.

180224[/snapback]

Oh, you're right. When I first saw it I thought it was 35 (Burns) but then they showed 25 (PP) smacking himself in the head. Thanks.

Get Coy Wire out of Town!! :blink:

180228[/snapback]

The fact that we don't get his name called during the game is in itself

a good thing....Coy Wire is what he is, an average football player but

a good guy.....

My other observations:

o Contribution of Troy Vincent to this team.

Troy Vincent is really rubbing off on our CBs. Both Clements and

Vincent have really learnt from TV on how to get to the ball.

Also TV has taught Evans in a big way in how to jump around the

CBs. And finally, he is making plays at the FS position, a position

that was the hottest topic on this board during the 1st 6 weeks of

the season...

And finally, he is making plays at the FS position, a position

that was the hottest topic on this board during the 1st 6 weeks of

the season...

180234[/snapback]

I think the position that was the hottest topic on this board during the first 6 weeks was whatever position people wanted to see Lindsay Lohan in. :blink:

Great points.  About McGahee, I think his value was an emotional /  mental one.  The coaches can create all the brilliant game plans they want, but it was McGahee that motivated his teammates with his stirring comeback to execute them with precision and effort.

180236[/snapback]

I will agree with that. But I also believe, and have read in a place or two, that the coaches and players were very impressed and very motivated by Drew when he refused to get down on himself and the team after he was totally left for dead after the NE game. He picked himself up off the mat and exuded all the confidence in the world that he and we were still in it. Just because he doesn't blowhard exuberance to the press doesn't mean he doesn't lead the team by example and instill confidence in them. This week, in the SF paper, Ken Simonton, who now plays for the 49ers, spoke about why the Bills were able to come back and he said because of the veteran leadership, and mentioned Milloy, and then Bledsoe, and then one other (Spikes I think, or Adams) and said they won't let you get down. There wasn't any reason for him to stick up for Bledsoe unless he meant it.

He picked himself up off the mat and exuded all the confidence in the world that he and we were still in it. Just because he doesn't blowhard exuberance to the press doesn't mean he doesn't lead the team by example and instill confidence in them.

180260[/snapback]

It makes you wonder what the guys that call for DB to be an "in your face" type leader think of their bosses. Maybe some of them just don't work unless their boss comes in yelling and screaming.

Lastly, you have guys like Ryan Leif, that have tons of that exuberant confidence. Most times it fits your description of "blowhard."

Great post! I particularly liked your point #2 where I think a truer football based reading of the team's offensive resurgence must look beyond the importance of McGahee's contribution (his better production than TH is ONE of the keys, but only ONE) to point out the numerous factors (many of which are based in better coaching) that allowed it to happen.

I know there is a tendency for us fans to have trouble with attributing a result to more than one thing and thus giving WM all the credit is something folks want to do. However, while WM deserves a hea;thy portion of the credit, a real explanation is much broader than attributing the turnaround to any single player or factor.

4. Virtually every single one of the snaps yesterday by Non Dorenbos were shaky at best. I hope that doesnt come back to haunt us. (I think perhaps the punt snaps were okay, but the extra points and FG snaps were excellent saves by Moorman.

180196[/snapback]

I'm glad someone else said something because I thought it was just me. Those snaps were scary.

And, yeah, this is damn fun!