Although Nix Says Free Agency Is Not The Way

BuffaloBaumer

Salary Cap might shoot this down as I am not sure of what all the numbers would be BUT it does not seem that difficult to make the jump to playoffs with a few simple moves.

Get one of the top 2 DE's in FA and overpay (Williams, Avril). If this means not re-signing Stevie and throwing more money at Williams, so be it

Sign the DB who is here today (Routt)

Draft either top top DE/WR/Tackle in first round. If they can get Williams or Avril, I would still go after top DE or OLB

Draft seems to be loaded with WRs that would be great bargains in the 2nd round

I know QB is STILL the missing piece and without that, true contender status will not be reached. For now though, it seems that between the DEs and WRs in both FA and the draft, it lines up perfectly for this team. Fill out the line with 3rd round or others (unless there is an elite tackle there at the 10 spot.

Bottom line, I think this is a VERY important free agency period for this team.

You think we should break the bank for Williams and have a 2nd rd pick as our #1 Wr? Or better yet, David Nelson as our #1? If we sign Williams, which I think is HIGHLY doubtful, then I'd take a pass on Routt and any other FA in order to resign Stevie or another potential #1 (Bowe, vj or Colston, although I prefer Stevie over these guys).CB isn't our 2nd biggest issue, WR is, even with Stevie.

You think we should break the bank for Williams and have a 2nd rd pick as our #1 Wr? Or better yet, David Nelson as our #1? If we sign Williams, which I think is HIGHLY doubtful, then I'd take a pass on Routt and any other FA in order to resign Stevie or another potential #1 (Bowe, vj or Colston, although I prefer Stevie over these guys).CB isn't our 2nd biggest issue, WR is, even with Stevie.

The reason I even bring up DB is because his butt is already here getting interviewed and I don't think he would be that costly - seems like it could be good value.. As far as WR, I guarantee one the top 5 guys will be there in the 2nd and it is a VERY deep draft for WR.

1329164848[/url]' post='2382573']

The reason I even bring up DB is because his butt is already here getting interviewed and I don't think he would be that costly - seems like it could be good value.. As far as WR, I guarantee one the top 5 guys will be there in the 2nd and it is a VERY deep draft for WR.

I hear ya regarding Routt, but it's unlikely this is his only stop. The guy signed a contract worth almost 10 mill a year last off season, I can't see him taking less than 5per. If the plan is to throw the house at Mario, they need to plan accordingly, and signing a Db to a 5-7 mill per contract makes us signing a top WR almost impossible. Drafting a WR in the 2nd round doesn't mean we get a good player. Most 2nd rd wrs don't fair very well, at best, a 50/50 chance he turns out to be a good number 2, less than 10% chance he turns out to be a number 1 (yes, they're my made up estimations). We'd be MUCH better off signing a top FA Wr and drafting a CB in the 2nd.

This is all stupid talk IMO, as it's unlikely that Williams or Avril will be wearing Bills unis next season. I think Mathis is our best opportunity to land a good pass rushing DE, and even he's a long shot.

I hear ya regarding Routt, but it's unlikely this is his only stop. The guy signed a contract worth almost 10 mill a year last off season, I can't see him taking less than 5per. If the plan is to throw the house at Mario, they need to plan accordingly, and signing a Db to a 5-7 mill per contract makes us signing a top WR almost impossible. Drafting a WR in the 2nd round doesn't mean we get a good player. Most 2nd rd wrs don't fair very well, at best, a 50/50 chance he turns out to be a good number 2, less than 10% chance he turns out to be a number 1 (yes, they're my made up estimations). We'd be MUCH better off signing a top FA Wr and drafting a CB in the 2nd.

This is all stupid talk IMO, as it's unlikely that Williams or Avril will be wearing Bills unis next season. I think Mathis is our best opportunity to land a good pass rushing DE, and even he's a long shot.

I agree it's unlikely but I truly think THIS FA needs to be one where getting to the QB is a priority. Get one in FA and one in the draft - everything else falls into place.....

CB isn't a huge need, but it could use an upgrade via the draft. Having a potent pass rush will cover some of the secondary's weaknesses/inexperience.

I think the FA/Draft period should go down something like this.

1. Sign SJ

2. Sign V. Jackson and Mathis

3. Draft Mercilous

4. Move back into the first round an grab Burfict

5. Round out the draft with CBs and OL

1329168039[/url]' post='2382600']

CB isn't a huge need, but it could use an upgrade via the draft. Having a potent pass rush will cover some of the secondary's weaknesses/inexperience.

I think the FA/Draft period should go down something like this.

1. Sign SJ

2. Sign V. Jackson and Mathis

3. Draft Mercilous

4. Move back into the first round an grab Burfict

5. Round out the draft with CBs and OL

Sign Stevie, VJ AND Mathis? We have to be realistic IMO. That's not realistic. Sure, we'd LOVE to have both guys, but it's too much money. We'd be lucky to get sj and garçon along with Mathis. Hell, we'd be lucky to get only SJ and Mathis. As for Burfict? I'd take him with our 2nd I suppose, no way I'd trade up for the guy. He wasn't very good this year. He wasn't even good.

We should be grounded here. we are not getting Mario or Vincent. But we have opportunities to upgrade in FA. Not star power but upgrade. Routt might be one of them. must sign stevie though. and Chandler. Then go for it on pass rushers 2nd and 3rd round.

Maybe we can grab Avril!

Okay honestly as much as I doubt this will happen, I could see the Bills going for it in FA this year, jobs are on the line and the team needs 5=6 players to step in as starters and for depth. I think Nix gave it away in the post season presser a bit. I think he knows what he is doing and has plans in place. I look for Stevie back Bell signed and maybe Chandler (oline guys brought back as well), a FA, WR and Pass rusher and whatever need we have (a CB for instance). Draft a LT, Outside backer/DE, TE, CBs. At least that is what I get from what he said.

I could live with Mathis and Routt. Love to get Curry in the 2nd round. That would be a major upgrade for the defense. Another quality LT and WR in the draft and the team is really moving forward. Minus a QB of course, but not a lot of long term options this year.

FA is for filling a couple of needs, or upgrade or 2, but not for building a long term foundation

I agree about the long term foundation but maintain it rather than build it. That's what the great teams do, utilize the draft to maintain their dominance.

We're going to find out real soon if ownership and the front office is interested in pushing for a playoff spot here. Because you know the rest of the division is not going to sit on their hands and approach the free agent period from the sidelines. They'll be looking to put whatever cap space they have available to work.

The Bills might marginally improve through the draft for 2012 but IMO without picking up a couple key contributors to augment those picks a 3rd or 4th place finish is the division is pretty much a given.

May i correct you magic 1? with your comment to come true, we will have enough talent on the field with defense.

Our coaching is as yet unproven though. we are only guessing right now.

I am just fine with stacking the defense with players. I love the defensive side of the ball. and would draft all Def if i could!

This is a big year in so many ways. Wannstache needs to show up big time this season because the last two years with Nix and Gailey have not fielded a defensive worth a darn statistically yet.

That being stated. Go Bills ! :)

Mathis is a cover-2 DE....He just doesn't fit the frame of a DE that Buddy and Chan look for in a DE. The Bills are unlikely to go after him.

Sign Stevie, VJ AND Mathis? We have to be realistic IMO. That's not realistic. Sure, we'd LOVE to have both guys, but it's too much money. We'd be lucky to get sj and garçon along with Mathis. Hell, we'd be lucky to get only SJ and Mathis. As for Burfict? I'd take him with our 2nd I suppose, no way I'd trade up for the guy. He wasn't very good this year. He wasn't even good.

we might have a better shot at Freeny than Mathis. Little Jimmy Irsay has said he wants to resign Mathis but Freeny has a $14 million salary this year & won't restructure.

1329279377[/url]' post='2383313']

Mathis is a cover-2 DE....He just doesn't fit the frame of a DE that Buddy and Chan look for in a DE. The Bills are unlikely to go after him.

You might be right. All I know, is he can get after the QB and that's what we need.

The Bills might marginally improve through the draft for 2012 but IMO without picking up a couple key contributors to augment those picks a 3rd or 4th place finish is the division is pretty much a given.

Some said same thing about Patriots beating us twice last year; saying it does not make it true.