Bills Pass Rush Draft

Astrobot

The Giants had two, yes count them, two sacks! The THREAT of sacks by that Giants front was enough to wear down the New England OL over the course of the game, IMO. If the Bills use this blueprint, it will validate the notion that for two Super Bowls, the Giants had superior pass rushers, and unleashed them to hound Brady and Co. and THAT is the modus operandi to defeat them next year and several years running after that! If you come with a superior rush and squat on Brady's short passing game, the odds change strongly in the Bills quest to beat this guy, and other teams are after EXACTLY the same objective. I would be ALL IN with a defensive draft from top to bottom, because it would make it very likely that there are more HITS than misses when unveiling this plan of attack. Count me in....

Note: I don't let Courtney Upshaw slide by because he's the most NFL ready defensive player in this draft, Bar none! Additionally, Cordarro Law is one of my favorites in April, and if he lands in Buffalo, he'll make a mark as a rookie in 2012, bank on it.

I don't understand the hate for Coples. The guy is a monster and was the best player on defense and throughout the whole senior bowl process and practices. We would be lucky as hell if he actually fell to us at 10 but people seem like he somehow isn't an option. My worst fear is that he goes to the Dolphins at #9 and he beats up our late round and UFA tackles for the next 10 years.

Edited by PDaDdy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking Mercilus at 10 is a risk, more of a slippery slope deal. He looks like he could be a pretty nice NFL player when he reaches his potential. He also looks like he could be another Big 10 DLineman "bust" that we have seen churned out over the years from that conference.

Unfortunately, the Bills don't have the flexibility right now to take a chance on a guy that might or might not perform as a number 10 pick in the draft. Upshaw is another player that would be a really nice pick, proven track record, leader, national champion and an every down player BUT is he a difference maker that the Bills need at 10?

It's a good year for getting quality throughout the draft, just not a good year to get top of the line front 7 talent at 10. I believe the Bills will have to make a strong push for Mario Williams in free agency, if he makes it that far, because he is head and shoulders better than anyone the Bills can draft to fill that pass rush position in the 1st round. If that were to happen, the draft gets much easier and they can set their sights on one of the CB's or OT's that would fill the "difference maker" position that the Bills need at 10. They can draft DE's, OLB's and ILB positions in rounds 2-7 to help in the front 7. They need a playmaker at 10, not a steady or project type player.

Mario Williams, really? "Hey Mario, you want to leave your playoff contending team and choose BUFFALO over that team - and every other NFL team, especially those with winning track records in the past decade?" - nottt a chanceeeeeeeee

I never paid any bit of attention to Whitney Mercilus. I just watched that video, the entire thing. God, I hope we do not get him.

The OT's he plays against do not look good.

-He got no seperation to break the seal. All good pass rushing DE's need to be able to break the seal and get distance between themselves and shed the blocker.

-He has no football intuition and lacks the speed to get where he needs to be often finding himself yards behind defenders. The ILB's did not help him - they were a joke.

-His feet look like clodthumpers, like he's trying to be a power rusher when clearly he has no other moves then trying to push the blocker who often carries him outside of the play.

-Any tackles he is in on are only with his arms that an NFL RB will break through as long as it is not CJ Spiller.

I now definately want no part of that guy on our team.

I don't understand the hate for Coples. The guy is a monster and was the best player on defense and throughout the whole senior bowl process and practices. We would be lucky as hell if he actually fell to us at 10 but people seem like he somehow isn't an option. My worst fear is that he goes to the Dolphins at #9 and he beats up our late round and UFA tackles for the next 10 years.

I think Coples main issue is his football character. I've read in a few places that it looked liked he didn't give much of an effort in his senior season because he didn't want to get hurt.

The Bills will be looking for a leader who plays with passion at that #10 spot. Not someone who'll be looking not to get hurt, then all of a sudden turn it on in the last year of his rookie contract, then go play somewhere else. Rinse, wash, repeat.

I may get ripped for this, but count me among those that find Mercilus relatively unimpressive. He did put up great numbers, but watching him I just don't see a lot of explosion, rare strength, or really any one defining skill that leads me to believe he can be a great player at the next level. Now, it's still early in the process, and I haven't seen as much of him as I'd like to, but for now, I'm a definite "pass" on Mercilus.

Agreed, but again, I reserve the right to change my mind.

This is probably true, but if they fall in love with his ability, he could definitely be considered.

No chance of Coples, gone by 7 most likely, 9 at the latest. Between Jax, Mia, and Carolina, one of those will take him.

True, but that's somewhat true of every conference.

Agreed. However there's a massive difference in athleticism between a guy like JPP and Mercilus. The closest JPP comparison in this year's draft is Melvin Ingram. Incredible athlete for his size, limited experience as a 4-3 DE, downright playmaker at any position.

What are u looking for a 1 trick pony.. Mercilus has shown ability to go for the speed rush and bullrush he has very good hands and can shed blocks. Believe me i`m not saying he is a sure thing but i have seen more from Mercilus than Ingram or Upshaw.. He has more to work with and has way more upside due to prototype size. Ingram is more of a power guy he bully`s his way threw college OLines that might not be enough for him to take the next step at the NFL level.

What are u looking for a 1 trick pony.. Mercilus has shown ability to go for the speed rush and bullrush he has very good hands and can shed blocks. Believe me i`m not saying he is a sure thing but i have seen more from Mercilus than Ingram or Upshaw.. He has more to work with and has way more upside due to prototype size. Ingram is more of a power guy he bully`s his way threw college OLines that might not be enough for him to take the next step at the NFL level.

No, what I'd be looking for is a guy that jumps off the screen when I watch him, either in terms of athleticism, speed, power, technique, etc. Like I said, I reserve the right to watch more (which I will) and change my mind (which I may) about Mercilus, but as of now, what I've seen from him is a relatively unimpressive player from a "does his skill set translate to the NFL" standpoint.

As for Ingram and Upshaw, I respectfully disagree. Ingram is far from a pure power player, as he's spent time at DT, DE, LB, and even SS, which points to his pure athleticism more than him being simply a brute strength guy. Upshaw, however, has been effective playing in space as a 3-4 LB, which shows me that he's got the speed to play in the NFL, and definitely has the size needed to stand up to NFL tackles.

I think Coples main issue is his football character. I've read in a few places that it looked liked he didn't give much of an effort in his senior season because he didn't want to get hurt.

The Bills will be looking for a leader who plays with passion at that #10 spot. Not someone who'll be looking not to get hurt, then all of a sudden turn it on in the last year of his rookie contract, then go play somewhere else. Rinse, wash, repeat.

I have heard this as the only supposed blemish some he said she said stuff about his drive and desire. Obviously not a problem with his production and every single talent evaluator during the senior bowl process said he was the best out there.

Did you know that his last year he was moved to DT? He was playing out of position due to someone else's suspensions or injury. Don't disregard his obvious talent and ridiculous size because of rumor mongering. I hope we are lucky enough to get this guy. If not Upshaw would be a great consolation prize.

Edited by PDaDdy

Did you know that his last year he was moved to DT? He was playing out of position due to someone else's suspensions or injury. Don't disregard his obvious talent and ridiculous size because of rumor mongering. I hope we are lucky enough to get this guy. If not Upshaw would be a great consolation prize.

That was his Junior year due to Marvin Austin's suspension. Coples came into the senior bowl at 281 lbs, lighter than he was listed at during the season at NC. This is an attempt to show that he has the proper size to be able to play as an edge defender at DE, despite many saying his best suited position may be inside at DT.

Does anyone here realize that Dwight Freeney is 6'1" and 268 lbs. and Robert Mathis is 6' 2" and 245 lbs. The philosophy that dictates that every player is belonging to some cookie cutter pattern is DEAD WRONG!! Football player is the only measure here and Courtney Upshaw brings it! The mere thought of him lining up next to Marcell Dareus (again) and Kyle Williams gives me reason to think his rookie year could be Pro Bowl worthy under optimum conditions. By the way, let's NOT forget that this team we root for needs TWO top quality pass rushers not just one. If they do add a Mario Williams or Cliff Avril, as examples, the D'line goes from a relative weakness to a certain strength over night! Each of us has a favorite choice, and that's normal, but don't get messmerized by measurables over the proposition that they might actually be great football players.

That was his Junior year due to Marvin Austin's suspension. Coples came into the senior bowl at 281 lbs, lighter than he was listed at during the season at NC. This is an attempt to show that he has the proper size to be able to play as an edge defender at DE, despite many saying his best suited position may be inside at DT.

So he came in at a HUGE 281lbs instead of his listed weight of 285lb? How is that even the slightest bit relevant? That speculation is baseless. Let's not miss out on the next Orakpo because we're too busy trying to find fault with everyone's consensus top guy on defense.

Does anyone here realize that Dwight Freeney is 6'1" and 268 lbs. and Robert Mathis is 6' 2" and 245 lbs. The philosophy that dictates that every player is belonging to some cookie cutter pattern is DEAD WRONG!! Football player is the only measure here and Courtney Upshaw brings it! The mere thought of him lining up next to Marcell Dareus (again) and Kyle Williams gives me reason to think his rookie year could be Pro Bowl worthy under optimum conditions. By the way, let's NOT forget that this team we root for needs TWO top quality pass rushers not just one. If they do add a Mario Williams or Cliff Avril, as examples, the D'line goes from a relative weakness to a certain strength over night! Each of us has a favorite choice, and that's normal, but don't get messmerized by measurables over the proposition that they might actually be great football players.

The Colts were never a scary defense in part because they've always had smallish, "Tampa 2" players. Yes, these guys can get after the passer, but they also make it so darn easy to just throw over their heads.

I see Coples to the Fins as well. Want a tackle at #10? :ph34r:

Jason Pierre-Paul was a one year wonder. So is Jerry Reese not as smart as Buddy Nix because he didn't follow this "golden" rule?

If Nix drafts Upshaw over Mercilus because of this stupid rule, I'll laugh at him and this franchise. Upshaw is a short man with T-Rex arms. There's no getting around that fact. Brady will love to continue playing the Bills without worry about getting sacked or having balls batted down at the line of scrimmage.

Pierre-Paul is no one year wonder, he's a legitimate force, and we beat NE this year. The other thing people seem to forget is that the Giants defense is pretty average. They got rolled quite a bit this year by lots of teams. Everyone wanted Coughlin to be fired when they had lost 7 games and praying for the weak NFC to give them two more wins to squeak in the playoffs.

We have better interior linemen on our D, just need help on the edge rush.

Pierre-Paul is no one year wonder, he's a legitimate force, and we beat NE this year. The other thing people seem to forget is that the Giants defense is pretty average. They got rolled quite a bit this year by lots of teams. Everyone wanted Coughlin to be fired when they had lost 7 games and praying for the weak NFC to give them two more wins to squeak in the playoffs.

The Giants weren't healthy on defense earlier in the season.

Please tell me 1billsfan, that you are NOT arguing the success Freeney and Mathis have had strictly on the point they got "thown over" because of their "less than ideal" size?!?! To me, as a football fan, the sack is one of the impact plays in ANY game, especially when they are strung together, say like the Bills against Washington (10)!! The Super Bowl story line was about the NYG defensive front and the impending pressures Brady would have to endure to mount a NE victory, but as a fan, I don't care if my line consists of Tuck and JPP or Freeney and Mathis, the objective is gained either way. Maybe for you, the Bills should trade for one of the NYG lineman, namely Osi Umenyiora, who by the way is all of 6' 3" and 261 lbs soaking wet....I guess ultimately I'm NOT going to change your opinion, however, you could be persuaded to allow for mine.

I think he meant in College.

You misunderstood. We were talking about college prospects and Buddy's golden rule of needing to have more than one year of production at the college level, not the NFL career of Pierre-Paul.

Please tell me 1billsfan, that you are NOT arguing the success Freeney and Mathis have had strictly on the point they got "thown over" because of their "less than ideal" size?!?! To me, as a football fan, the sack is one of the impact plays in ANY game, especially when they are strung together, say like the Bills against Washington (10)!! The Super Bowl story line was about the NYG defensive front and the impending pressures Brady would have to endure to mount a NE victory, but as a fan, I don't care if my line consists of Tuck and JPP or Freeney and Mathis, the objective is gained either way. Maybe for you, the Bills should trade for one of the NYG lineman, namely Osi Umenyiora, who by the way is all of 6' 3" and 261 lbs soaking wet....I guess ultimately I'm NOT going to change your opinion, however, you could be persuaded to allow for mine.

I am arguing that the Bills should avoid using the Colts defense as a blue print for success. Nothing against those two players, but it was fun to see Pierre-Paul batting balls down when Brady threw it. Having tall DEs is a favorable factor when Brady is throwing the ball to a 5' nothing Wes Welker.

The Bills definitely need to find two pass rushers, either one in free agency and one in the draft, or two in the draft. I think drafting a pass rusher in the 1st round and another in the 2nd round would be a good idea.

The biggest lesson to learn from the Giants is not to make foolish decisions based on need. It is very important to get the best quality player at the place the team is selecting; otherwise, the team will be in purgatory of mediocrity. I wasn't that bothered by the CJ Spiller pick since he is a quality player.

There seems to be a lot of pass rusher in the draft this year, so the Bills may have gotten lucky. I would take Coples since he is the consensus top selection, and it really bothered me when the Bills tried to out-think everybody by selecting Maybin.