"The River" (2012) Starts Feb 7th

ajzepp

I don't often watch scripted dramas on television...I can count them on one hand over the past decade. I'm a sports and movies guy with the occasional reality show thrown in for good measure. This looks to at least have some potential, as the people involved make up a very interesting mix. Not everyone likes them, but I'm a big fan of the Paranormal Activity films. There just have not been many films in my 39 years of life that have effectively disturbed me and literally gotten me to jump. I think these folks are very adept at creating a visceral response in the viewer, and that's an element that I love having on board with this show.

Here is the show's synopsis as found on www.wikipedia.org:

"Famed explorer Dr. Emmet Cole (Bruce Greenwood) went looking for magic deep in the uncharted Amazon and never returned. The shocking truth about his disappearance is out there, somewhere, just waiting to be discovered. To the millions of kids who grew up watching his nature show, Dr. Cole was a hero. To his own son, Lincoln (Joe Anderson), he was more of an enigma. Now, six months after he vanished, Lincoln is finally ready to bury the past when Dr. Cole's emergency beacon suddenly goes off. At the urging of his mother, Tess (Leslie Hope), Lincoln reluctantly joins her on a search for his father. To fund the rescue, they agree to let Dr. Cole's cagey ex-producer, Clark (Paul Blackthorne), film the mission documentary-style. The mixed crew of old friends and new acquaintances includes the sexy and resourceful Lena (Eloise Mumford), loyal mechanic Emilio (Daniel Zacapa) and lethal bodyguard Captain Kurt Brynildson (Thomas Kretschmann)."

Anyone else gonna give this show a chance?

I'll be watching. There are few thrillers on network television, and this looks good.

I do like the Paranormal Activity movies, but my concern here is how can a show like this have longevity?

Good point. It does seem like it's more of a closed-ended set up than an open one. Hopefully if it's a hit, they won't sacrifice quality in exchange for crapping out a few more episodes. I'm gonna give the premier every chance to catch my attention, then I guess we'll see after that.

Good point. It does seem like it's more of a closed-ended set up than an open one. Hopefully if it's a hit, they won't sacrifice quality in exchange for crapping out a few more episodes. I'm gonna give the premier every chance to catch my attention, then I guess we'll see after that.

I guess I'll try it out....

I have been watching "Once Upon a Time" from some of the "LOST" writers & producers. Can't wait until AR and Survivor come back because otherwise network teevee is a wasteland.

Memo to teevee execs --- TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT!

Edited by UConn James

I have been watching "Once Upon a Time" from some of the "LOST" writers & producers. Can't wait until AR and Survivor come back because otherwise network teevee is a wasteland.

Survivor and AR start this month, yes? I tell you the other show I think will be a blast this season, and that's Trump. He's got potentially the best cast ever, and I can already see it being a total riot. I have always enjoyed the show in general, but this year could really be a lot of fun :)

I'm definitely intrigued by this show. I will be watching the premiere and I really do hope that I can get into this show.

BTW, loved the Paranormal Activity movies as well. One of the few movies to actually scare the **** outta me :thumbsup:

dude, there have only been a few movies that I've ever felt like I needed to just sit still and recover from it after it was over, and these paranormal activity films are on the list. I have ptIII sitting in my mailbox as we speak, so I'm going to check it out this weekend. There's nothign like watching it on a big projector screen with a great sound system...makes it all the more intense!

As for The River, I'm with ya...I hope it's something I can get into, as well. I like the potential!

I agree with you UConn.

The thing I do not understand though, is that many people will complain about how the networks do not produce any original entertainment. Then when the networks actually make a show that is "different", NOBODY WATCHES THEM!

Keep in mind I am talking about network TV, not cable TV.

Look at these shows from recent times that were very good, but got cancelled:

"Firefly"

"Threshold"

"V"

"Journey Man"

"Dollhouse"

"Invasion"

"Pushing Daisies" :cry:

When it comes to TV shows it's a two-way street. People will say they want something different, but when the networks actually deliver it's as if the people say "Well, we didn't mean "that" different." :doh:

Sometimes there are people you can never please.

dude, there have only been a few movies that I've ever felt like I needed to just sit still and recover from it after it was over, and these paranormal activity films are on the list. I have ptIII sitting in my mailbox as we speak, so I'm going to check it out this weekend. There's nothign like watching it on a big projector screen with a great sound system...makes it all the more intense!

As for The River, I'm with ya...I hope it's something I can get into, as well. I like the potential!

I've actually only seen the first one... I need to watch the other two ASAP. The final scene from the first one is something that creeps me out every time it crosses my mind. It is so incredibly eerie that I get chills with just the thought...

Wanna be my agent?

I'm not really sure what to make of this show...I feel like it's trying too hard. I even gave it the "home theater" treatment to give it as much a chance to impress as possible, but I'm not sure that really was enough.

What did you guys think?

How is Once Upon A Time?

I have been watching Alcatraz which I'd rate 7/10. However the one "down-blouse" shot in the sniper episode (#2???) was terrific!!!

I'm not really sure what to make of this show...I feel like it's trying too hard. I even gave it the "home theater" treatment to give it as much a chance to impress as possible, but I'm not sure that really was enough.

What did you guys think?

Yeah.... The video feed on the ABC site keeps blacking out on me for the last segment of every show I try to watch there. So I got to the part where [yellow-fonted for spoilers] the mother character had been taken underwater and the dude was laying the skeleton in as a replacement of sorts and then *blip*.

I'm not so keen on there being so much supernatural stuff so soon. And to keep watching, I'd also have to do a some serious 'suspension of disbelief' to not keep wondering why they don't get the :censored: out of there and if they want to come back, then do so with an army (or at least more than a lone security guy who's already displayed an ulterior motive/side mission, a shaman, body armor, a girl who has some kind of limp after a serious leg wound and a guy whose clothes don't magically dry minutes after diving to pull debris out of the rudder, and a bigger boat.

I dunno if I'm going to bother catching how the ep concludes.

How is Once Upon A Time?

I have been watching Alcatraz which I'd rate 7/10. However the one "down-blouse" shot in the sniper episode (#2???) was terrific!!!

Once Upon a Time is the kind of show I probably shouldn't like based on a description and kind-of reductive soap-opera-ish acting, but I'm enjoying the storyline and how they're fleshing out the tales and weaving them together, both in the fairy-tale world and in the 'real world" of Storybrooke.

Wanted to catch Alcatraz. Meant to. But didn't. FOX doesn't always come in for me ( :censored: FCC co-channeling here) on the antenna. I'll probably be looking to give it a try when I get some time.

So should prolly be in another thread..but I have enjoyed Luck so far.

I have read some people are having a tough time with all the racing terms and some of the plot(what these is of it)but i love betting the ponies and have been going to the track for close to thirty years now, so that part is all good for me. I have read that Milch loves the ethos of the track and all its patrons and sub culture, as he is a frequent patron as well.

Will no doubt be watching the rest of the series.

Look at these shows from recent times that were very good, but got cancelled:

"Firefly"

Sometimes there are people you can never please.

Firefly had nothing to do with people and everything to do with Fox being stupid. They aired the episodes out of order. They pre-empted all the time. The advertising was practically non-existent. They didn't give it any time to gain hold. It was the second most TiVo'd show in history (roughly 800,000 if I recall correctly) at a time where the networks didn't know what to do with that information and didn't count it in their data. And (almost) everyone who actually saw it, loved it.