"The River" (2012) Starts Feb 7th

ajzepp

So should prolly be in another thread..but I have enjoyed Luck so far.

I have read some people are having a tough time with all the racing terms and some of the plot(what these is of it)but i love betting the ponies and have been going to the track for close to thirty years now, so that part is all good for me. I have read that Milch loves the ethos of the track and all its patrons and sub culture, as he is a frequent patron as well.

Will no doubt be watching the rest of the series.

:unsure:

(lol)

My girlfriend has been watching this and she loves it... for what its worth

I really WANT to love it...it just feels rushed for some reason, even over a two hour period of time. I felt like James did, that the supernatural stuff was too soon. I'm probably going to keep watching, maybe they just wanted to throw a bunch of creepy stuff out there early to get peoples attention...which is fine, as long as they don't miss the forest for the trees.

One thing I'm still perplexed over...

They unleash this ghost thing from a wooden bedpan, they somehow figure out that it has a name and is apparently a person...or used to be a person...it terrorizes them for like ten minutes as it flies around all over the place, only to be scooped back into the bedpan and tossed in the water...and that fixed it? I think I'm missing something with this aspect of the story

Firefly had nothing to do with people and everything to do with Fox being stupid. They aired the episodes out of order. They pre-empted all the time. The advertising was practically non-existent. They didn't give it any time to gain hold. It was the second most TiVo'd show in history (roughly 800,000 if I recall correctly) at a time where the networks didn't know what to do with that information and didn't count it in their data. And (almost) everyone who actually saw it, loved it.

This is true. FOX has a tendency to do this with a number of their new shows.

I'm not really sure what to make of this show...I feel like it's trying too hard. I even gave it the "home theater" treatment to give it as much a chance to impress as possible, but I'm not sure that really was enough.

What did you guys think?

A few times I also felt that this show was trying too hard and they showed us a lot more of the supernatural element much earlier than I was expecting. Although they probably did that to get the short attention span viewers to keep watching.

Overall I like the background story and the "human drama" of the show. I'm not super-excited about this show yet, but I'll keep watching just to see where it goes. Sometimes you have to give a show a chance to grow and it can get better. I learned that by watching ABC's reboot of "V". Still even if this show is successful, you have to wonder how "The River" can have longevity. Does anyone think this show can last for 5 years?

Finally, I agree with John from Hemet, that tree full of dolls was creepy. I also liked the British Colonial backdrop story in the second episode, nice touch.