Les Miles is a scumbag...

Miles attacked QB recruit Gunner Kiel for changing his mind and going to Notre Dame instead of LSU. The same recruit that Miles undoubtedly talked into spurning Indiana for LSU. Did Miles lament a system that allows a player to commit and decommit to schools? No instead he attacked the young man's heart and character.

I'm sure Kiel's parents are quite happy their son came to his senses and opted not to go to the cultural abyss of the deep South.

Miles attacked QB recruit Gunner Kiel for changing his mind and going to Notre Dame instead of LSU. The same recruit that Miles undoubtedly talked into spurning Indiana for LSU. Did Miles lament a system that allows a player to commit and decommit to schools? No instead he attacked the young man's heart and character.

I'm sure Kiel's parents are quite happy their son came to his senses and opted not to go to the cultural abyss of the deep South.

So much irony in your insights....

There is?

Regardless, his statement that Les Miles is a scumbag is spot on. Only a scumbag would publically badmouth an 18 year over his choice of where to attend college.

Yet the person making the insight is calling out an entire region. Yup - southeast Louisiana is a total cultural abyss.

Edited by NoSaint

Recruiting is the dirtiest part of a dirty, dirty organization (NCAA div I sports). While i can understand their frustrations, coaches have no place attacking a recruit for their decisions. Everyone knows a verbal committment is worth absolutely nothing until that LOI is signed and faxed. You also need to take into consideration you're dealing with 18 year old morons during the entire process.

Edited by Ramius

Yet the person making the insight is calling out an entire region. Yup - southeast Louisiana is a total cultural abyss.

Fair enough -- dumb comment by the thread starter; not many places in the US with more culture than S LA.

But his clumsy generalizations don't change the fact that Miles sounds like a bitter high school girl who just got dumped.

Fair enough -- dumb comment by the thread starter; not many places in the US with more culture than S LA.

But his clumsy generalizations don't change the fact that Miles sounds like a bitter high school girl who just got dumped.

Am I missing more comments by Miles? Or is it just the one at the pep rally that went something like "Too bad the player didnt have a big enough chest to come to LSU"?

Also, LOL at the OP for calling the South a "cultural abyss" when comparing it to South Bend, Indiana.

Edited by DrDareustein

He's gotta take a blustery stand, to keep all the pissed off boosters and alumni happy. It is ridiculous, though. Just speaks to what big time college athletics has become. A license to print money on the backs of "student athletes" (a ridiculous term in its own right, coined by the NCAA).

They should nuke D1 college athletics as they currently are and create true minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. Then keep college athletics for true amateurs and funnel the cream of the crop (ie genuine pro prospects) into the development leagues and pay them. Keep big time money out of college athletics and the slimeball element is greatly reduced.

It'll never happen, though. Can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

He's gotta take a blustery stand, to keep all the pissed off boosters and alumni happy. It is ridiculous, though. Just speaks to what big time college athletics has become. A license to print money on the backs of "student athletes" (a ridiculous term in its own right, coined by the NCAA).

They should nuke D1 college athletics as they currently are and create true minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. Then keep college athletics for true amateurs and funnel the cream of the crop (ie genuine pro prospects) into the development leagues and pay them. Keep big time money out of college athletics and the slimeball element is greatly reduced.

It'll never happen, though. Can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

While I agree with your statements regarding college sports and money, to separate the two would be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

The money made by big time programs goes to fund educational departments. If schools lose out on those millions of dollars, the only outcome is higher tuition and crappier facilities for Sciences, etc.

I think the NCAA just needs to bite the bullet and figure out how to get their scholarship athletes some extra cash. Lord knows there is plenty of money to go around.

Amen. Miles is panicking because he knows he lost the national championship thanks to awful QBing and is facing the prospect of falling from the top.

Awful QBing, and even worse Coaching. It's weird that someone who has kept his team consistently in the Top-5, and been to a couple National Championships would be on the hot seat. But Miles got straight up out-coached by Saban.

The money made by big time programs goes to fund educational departments. If schools lose out on those millions of dollars, the only outcome is higher tuition and crappier facilities for Sciences, etc.

That's a popular argument, but it's simply not true that all schools with D1-A programs are rolling in dough. In 2010, it was reported that only 22 of 120 of them turned a profit for their schools. I can't link because I'm on my phone right now, but just google "college athletics profit" and all the info is out there.

I also happen to work in fundraising for one of those big time universities, and while it's an unpopular stand to take in my workplace, it's true. Very often, schools with related hospitals and health systems see much more money coming in from that side than from athletics.

I'm curious as to what regions in your mind have culture.

Am I missing more comments by Miles? Or is it just the one at the pep rally that went something like "Too bad the player didnt have a big enough chest to come to LSU"?

Also, LOL at the OP for calling the South a "cultural abyss" when comparing it to South Bend, Indiana.

+1