An example as to why politics suck

I will make this my last post of the topic. I'll go on record that I think Obama has been one of the more effective presidents we've had in a while. He has acted on a good number of his campaign promises. (Not all but more than half.) We are out of Iraq, we are scaling back Afghanistan, we have a health care bill, he reduced the tax rate for middle class earners like me, GM and Chrysler are doing better, we have foiled several terrorist attacks and killed Osama bin Laden and several other leaders. If that's your definition of "suck" then I'll take more, please. And all this done while the GOP made it their stated purpose to make him a one-term president by any means necessary.

Is he perfect? No. But he's going to get re-elected.

PTR

6 trillion reasons to dislike Obama.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will make this my last post of the topic. I'll go on record that I think Obama has been one of the more effective presidents we've had in a while. He has acted on a good number of his campaign promises. (Not all but more than half.) We are out of Iraq, we are scaling back Afghanistan, we have a health care bill, he reduced the tax rate for middle class earners like me, GM and Chrysler are doing better, we have foiled several terrorist attacks and killed Osama bin Laden and several other leaders. If that's your definition of "suck" then I'll take more, please. And all this done while the GOP made it their stated purpose to make him a one-term president by any means necessary.

PTR

Don't forget the reset button he gave to Russia. That was a triumph.

Thanks, but I look at the crazy crap people say about Obama and have to wonder. We get it. He's a Democrat A "lib", though I could debate that. And we know Clinton was accused of crazy schitt too...even whispers of being Vince Foster's murderer. But I have never seen this birther crap with anyone else. And you have to admit the level of disrespect shown to our current president is unprecedented. I really feel that much of this starts from a visceral reaction to having a black man as president, and those who run campaigns are just seizing an opportunity. Rob, LA, can you point to another reason that makes more sense?

I didn't realize you were in a coma during the Bush Administration.

Thanks, but I look at the crazy crap people say about Obama and have to wonder. We get it. He's a Democrat A "lib", though I could debate that. And we know Clinton was accused of crazy schitt too...even whispers of being Vince Foster's murderer. But I have never seen this birther crap with anyone else. And you have to admit the level of disrespect shown to our current president is unprecedented. I really feel that much of this starts from a visceral reaction to having a black man as president, and those who run campaigns are just seizing an opportunity. Rob, LA, can you point to another reason that makes more sense?

PTR

You really think the level of disrespect is higher than for Bush?

edit - WTF - we post the exact same thing at the exact same time?

Edited by bbb

I've never heard anyone raise that argument.

That's the second-most prevalent argument, I think. Right behind "Show me his birth certificate! No, not that one...no, not that one either..."

What do Bush, Palin or Mitt have to do with Obama being a lousy president?

Racist.

Don't forget the reset button he gave to Russia. That was a triumph.

We're also taking a back seat to global economic & military issues. That will do wonders to the future growth prospects.

But it shouldn't be a surprise that the biggest defender of Ralph Wilson's management results is impressed with Obama's presidency.

PTR

It's all fine and good to be a Homer for your football team, but it's quite another to be one for a politician. Forget you're an Obama loving lib for a moment and try to take an honest common sense approach to a few of the items you mentioned:

- We're out of Iraq - Senator Obama opposed the measures that made it possible to get out of Iraq. Let's be even handed here.

- We have a health care bill - Is this necessarily a good thing? Should the health care bill do something to address actual problems with the health care system or is it just enough to have a bill related to health care?

- Reduced tax rates for middle class earners - Not so fast. That $7/mo you're getting back isn't enough to compensate for the amount of wealth you're going to lose through the inflation that will be catching up with us shortyly (Which if Obama loses will undoubtedly be attributed to his successor)

- GM and Chrysler are doing better - For a union to be effective there must be a symbiotic relationship between the union/labor and the company. Obama essentially said the union need not worry about strangling the company because if it goes under he'll transfer ownership of the company from the shareholders to the union. Do you think this is the right message to send?

I'd get into the unintended consequences of stifling foreclosures as it relates to credit markets and allowing the housing market to clear, delving into the detrimental impact Dodd-Frank has had on credit markets, the detrimental effects the stimulus had on the currency, and the Detrimental effects the mere anticipation of Obamacare has had on hiring and healthcare because that would just take too long. Baby steps.

- Reduced tax rates for middle class earners - Not so fast. That $7/mo you're getting back isn't enough to compensate for the amount of wealth you're going to lose through the inflation that will be catching up with us shortyly (Which if Obama loses will undoubtedly be attributed to his successor)

Those would be the Bush tax cuts, wouldn't they?

IIRC there was some nominal tax refund element of the "stimulus" that amounted to somewhere in the vicinity of $60/yr to middle class families. I'm not sure if it was temporary or permanent. I assume that's what he's referring to only because I can't see a lib defending the extension of the Bush tax cuts "for the rich" with a straight face, but then...

The same time Obama was. And the issue of birth only became an issue when people started questioning Obama's birthplace. I'll give you the rest of the week to find some more egregious examples of birther campaigns against other presidential candidates. Good luck.

PTR

Well, its rather hard to cast suspicion on the birthplace of most US presidents, given that they were clearly born in the United States of US born parents.

You're convinced Obama sucks and that's that. Eyes shut, ears plugged, neener neener.

PTR

You're convinced Obama is great and that's that. Eyes, shut, ears plugged, neener neener.

The reality is the president gets an A on foreign policy, an F at how he's handle the economy, an F at dealing with our National Debt an F at addressing our ever expanding Entitlement programs and an A on rhetoric. Ronald Reagan and Clinton were the last two good presidents we've had, the last two have been atrocious.

In regards to this thread, it sucks, absolutely nothing wrong with the first lady promoting healthier eating, as a matter of fact, its great, the only REAL way we will help solve our health care issues is through wellness programs and diet is a huge part of that, but no, politicians are always looking for evil boogeymen just so mindless numbskulls can display their instinctual herd mentalities and parrot their talking points, such as blaming health insurance companies for our health care problems, which only partisan idiots fall for.

and Really? You really brought the race card into this discussion. There is a reason why people hate politics,and one of them is when people parrot what politicians do which from the left side isto always bring out the race card.

Truly pathetic. :bag:

Yes, but since Obama wasn't able to rescind those tax cuts, that means he cut taxes for the middle class (but not for "the rich" -- the GOP Congress did that). And he was able to do this at the same time he saved millions of jobs.

PTR

Sounds good when you put it like that. Problem is, the healthcare bill that he promised and "made good on" was poorly conceived and even more poorly executed, and Obama had as much to do with thwarting terrorism and taking out Bin Laden as he did with last night's snowfall. Unless, of course, you're giving Barry credit for not cancelling efforts which had begun before he took office.

If you'd like to talk about "unprecedented" characteristics of Obama's term in office, look no further than the slowest recovery from recession in US history. Your beloved healthcare bill is at the top of the list as to why this recovery has been "jobless". Who wants to hire when you have no idea what it will cost you in a year or two?

Edited by Jauronimo

The reality is the president gets an A on foreign policy, an F at how he's handle the economy, an F at dealing with our National Debt an F at addressing our ever expanding Entitlement programs and an A on rhetoric.

A on foreign policy? Really? I won't rake the guy over the coals for Lybia, Iraq, or even Afghanistan, but you think trapsing around the world bowing down to foreign leaders, kissing ass, apologizing for America, and generally coming off as a naive dupe earns him an A?