100 Years Ago

In January 1912, the United States emerged from a two-year recession. Nineteen more followed—along with a century of phenomenal economic growth. Americans in real terms are 700% wealthier today.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203471004577140413041646048.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

Wow, and big government really just got going 100 years ago and has been getting bigger every year, as we have been so much wealthier. How about that

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So....your telling me its easier to become wealthy now than in 1912? Ya I guess it is easier living in an age where most people don't live on farms have automobiles , computers and there are things like the internet , corporations, technology and airplanes that we can use for our advantage for financial gain.

Yes all praise to big government!! ............ Not.

700% wealthier, but once you factor in inflation, what is the actual percentage?

Yea all those farm hands were hauling in crazy money .50 a day. (Just making a point not exact wage )

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203471004577140413041646048.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

Wow, and big government really just got going 100 years ago and has been getting bigger every year, as we have been so much wealthier. How about that

Hadn't the War of 1912 just ended? Aren't there usually booms after wars?

What kind of economic advancement was made from 1870-1913? I want to learn and you seem to be the man with the answers.

Actually, over the past century changes in the federal budget historically lag changes in the GDP by about 2-3 years. Even the greatest expansions in the budget for wartime spending (1917 and 1943) were preceded by peak increases in the GDP, not followed by them. In other words, economic output drives big government, not the other way around.

But I wouldn't be surprised if cause followed effect in your world.

That was a joke right? I can't tell. :rolleyes:

It wasn't a joke to my great great great great grandfather who was killed. I know this is a politics board and things can be brutal, but calling a war a joke even if it was a long time ago is disrespectful.

A lot of people find humor in death but I think it is sick. Last year I posted about my uncle Eugene on the 30th anniversary of his death. I guess a lot of people on here thought it was somehow funny because it was a long time ago that he died. Well to me I still get bothered by it. I will never forget that day. I heard the ambulance screaming down Main Street and I didn't give it a thought. But as it turned out it was my Uncle Eugene. He died on October the 2nd 1981. It still haunts me.

So while you're laughing at the "joke" war that killed part of my ancestry, you might has well have a few yucks at Geno's expense too.

Edited by ieatcrayonz

It wasn't a joke to my great great great great grandfather who was killed. I know this is a politics board and things can be brutal, but calling a war a joke even if it was a long time ago is disrespectful.

A lot of people find humor in death but I think it is sick. Last year I posted about my uncle Eugene on the 30th anniversary of his death. I guess a lot of people on here thought it was somehow funny because it was a long time ago that he died. Well to me I still get bothered by it. I will never forget that day. I heard the ambulance screaming down Main Street and I didn't give it a thought. But as it turned out it was my Uncle Eugene. He died on October the 2nd 1981. It still haunts me.

So while you're laughing at the "joke" war that killed part of my ancestry, you might has well have a few yucks at Geno's expense too.

So he was taken out of the "Gene" pool?

Fatty has been disrespectful ever since coming over from that other board. Next he'll be questioning you about all those generations rammed into a century.

How did Uncle Eugene meet his end?

I can't really talk about it even to this day. The guilt from hearing that ambulance and not caring and then it being Geno.....

Does it really matter how someone dies? It is just the death that is so final and sad. Killed in a war, Geno, or even my second cousin Callaway. The help gave him his peanut butter and jelly sandwich and sat there and watched him die. She didn't know what to do. We all thought he choked but with the information around about peanut allergies nowadays, personally I wonder. Does it matter if it was an allergy or choking? He turned blue which I'm not sure if an allergy will cause. Choke or allergy doesn't matter really. The sadness is the same and people make jokes about it. He'd barely turned two.

So he was taken out of the "Gene" pool?

Oh great. The new guy unleashes all you jokers by mocking my family and death in general. Thanks a lot big fat whatever.

Why not make fun of my old friends too jerks?

I remember Brian Temple. I miss him. He was drinking like a lot of kids his age and got crazy and jumped from the third floor and missed the swimming pool by a few inches. Why don't you make some jokes about that? Maybe I can forward them to his parents who barely leave their house any more. Maybe all your genius wit will cure them of their broken hearts.

Oh great. The new guy unleashes all you jokers by mocking my family and death in general. Thanks a lot big fat whatever.

Why not make fun of my old friends too jerks?

I remember Brian Temple. I miss him. He was drinking like a lot of kids his age and got crazy and jumped from the third floor and missed the swimming pool by a few inches. Why don't you make some jokes about that? Maybe I can forward them to his parents who barely leave their house any more. Maybe all your genius wit will cure them of their broken hearts.

What's a too jerk?

ieatcrayonz and the Brian Temple of doom? I love that movie.

I don't believe Big Fatty respects your uncle Gene. I don't know, it just sort of seems that way.

He probably follows Lysenkoism.