Paul Soliai Likely To Hit The FA MArket

H2o

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2012/01/24/miami-dolphins-tipsheet-news-and-notes-from-day-1-at-the-senior-bowl/

It says that the Phins are likely going to a 4-3 and Soliai will likely be allowed to walk in FA. If we are staying with a 3-4 he would be an excellent pickup and allow us to have Williams and Dareus as DE's.

Of all of the needs on the Bills, this is probably the position we need to worry about the least. We have two monster NT's/DT's already. Put that money towards a top notch DE or OLB...

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2012/01/24/miami-dolphins-tipsheet-news-and-notes-from-day-1-at-the-senior-bowl/

It says that the Phins are likely going to a 4-3 and Soliai will likely be allowed to walk in FA. If we are staying with a 3-4 he would be an excellent pickup and allow us to have Williams and Dareus as DE's.

We should sign him any way with our hybrid and it never hurts to have two monster DTs in the middle.

Of all of the needs on the Bills, this is probably the position we need to worry about the least. We have two monster NT's/DT's already. Put that money towards a top notch DE or OLB...

True.

Yes, yes, yes......Soliai would e a tremendous pick up for us. Give us that true space-eating, run stuffing NT that we have been missing. IMO...having Williams or Dareus at NT in 3-4 alignments is a waste of talent. Not saying that Dareus played poorly at NT, but he would be much better as a 3-4 DE or a 4-3 DT.

if Soliai goes to a team outside our division, then that alone would be amazing. He is a stud.

if we plan on doing a hybrid still, he would be pretty great to have him at NT, williams and dareus at DE in the 3-4.... then maybe in the 4-3, have williams and Soliai at NT and dareus at DE?

I don't know. I don't think Soliai would really fit on this defense. It is a nice idea to have him, because the guy is a stud. But if he leaves the the phins, that would be wonderful.

the worst thing that will happen is that he will cost so much they won't be able to add any other players through FA, or at least be limited.

Why do you (and others) think that Kyle Williams can play at DE in any formation? He is a short, penetrating DT. A good player mind you, but a DE? Sorry, I can't see it.

Jmo.

Why do you (and others) think that Kyle Williams can play at DE in any formation? He is a short, penetrating DT. A good player mind you, but a DE? Sorry, I can't see it.

Jmo.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/1/11/1927873/examining-multiple-defensive-fronts-featuring-kyle-williams

I point you to one of the best football articles ever written. Specifically the section labeled "Hybrid Bullough-Fairbanks 3-4 Defense with Gap Shooting Weak-side End". Remember, we arent talking about a Freeny-type DE. We're talking 34 DE.

Also, I am of the notion that you take your best, nastiest guys and put them on the field. Regardless of specific positions. For an example, see the Giants when they run the "NASCAR" defense, they use 4 DEs along the Dline. Yet the DEs playing DT are successful. They came up with this because they wanted to get Osi, Tuck, and Strahan on the field at the same time, perfected by Fewell, and have since swapped in JPP and Kiwanuka.

Bottom Line: When you have talent, get them out there, and tell them to tackle whoever has the ball.

Edited by DrDareustein

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/1/11/1927873/examining-multiple-defensive-fronts-featuring-kyle-williams

I point you to one of the best football articles ever written. Specifically the section labeled "Hybrid Bullough-Fairbanks 3-4 Defense with Gap Shooting Weak-side End". Remember, we arent talking about a Freeny-type DE. We're talking 34 DE.

Also, I am of the notion that you take your best, nastiest guys and put them on the field. Regardless of specific positions. For an example, see the Giants when they run the "NASCAR" defense, they use 4 DEs along the Dline. Yet the DEs playing DT are successful. They came up with this because they wanted to get Osi, Tuck, and Strahan on the field at the same time, perfected by Fewell, and have since swapped in JPP and Kiwanuka.

Bottom Line: When you have talent, get them out there, and tell them to tackle whoever has the ball.

This is a very good article and I thank you for it.

The truth is, I have no idea how KW will fit on this team, nor do I know what his health status is or will be. He does make quite a bit of money, as did Lee Evans, ya know?

Now PLEASE, do not take the above to mean that I advocate the Bills trading Kyle Williams. I do not. But what I do know is that strange things can happen with highly paid players at OBD.

This is a very good article and I thank you for it.

The truth is, I have no idea how KW will fit on this team, nor do I know what his health status is or will be. He does make quite a bit of money, as did Lee Evans, ya know?

Now PLEASE, do not take the above to mean that I advocate the Bills trading Kyle Williams. I do not. But what I do know is that strange things can happen with highly paid players at OBD.

I know you well enough to know youd never advocate trading away a valuable trench player. :thumbsup:

The difference between Evans and Williams, as I see it, is Evans didnt fit in because he only did one thing well, and even that was deteriorating. Williams is tough to place because he does so much, so well. He has always been a versatile player, and has already made one major position change successfully.

I believe Williams can produce from any of the interior DL positions, 34DE included. Especially if/when he has Dareus on the inside, and Upshaw on the outside! B-)

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Hopefully everyone will stay healthy and we can enjoy the show!

Soliai would be a good addition to the rotation at DT or NT depending on scheme. After Dareus and Williams we have a big drop off inside and if we let Edwards go the money would likely be the same. I have a hard time seeing this guy costing as much as people say he will. With few teams using a true 0 technique anymore I don't think he will cost a fortune.

The Dolphins are crazy to let a player like that walk just because they are switching schemes. To me it's Miami's version of the Bills' mistake when they let Pat Williams walk. I'd love it if the Bills could be the beneficiary of this kind of mistake. I don't care what kind of defense the Bills run next year, I'd want Soliai on it. He would make a huge difference for this team.

Edited by Dr. Fong

I don't really know what to think about the prospect of signing this type of player. But I do know that I didn't expect to get ran on the way we did even when Kyle was in the lineup. That alone makes me lean towards NT being one of our biggest needs.

The Dolphins are crazy to let a player like that walk just because they are switching schemes. To me it's Miami's version of the Bills' mistake when they let Pat Williams walk. I'd love it if the Bills could be the beneficiary of this kind of mistake. I don't care what kind of defense the Bills run next year, I'd want Soliai on it. He would make a huge difference for this team.

:thumbsup:

CONSIDER IT WAS wanny and gailey that drafted solai originally,that and he has been after a new contract for two years and the fins stalled him .i exspect to see the bills take a run at him . hopefully add him and campbell to our mix. the d-line would be set for years. imo

CONSIDER IT WAS wanny and gailey that drafted solai originally,that and he has been after a new contract for two years and the fins stalled him .i exspect to see the bills take a run at him . hopefully add him and campbell to our mix. the d-line would be set for years. imo

Soliai was drafted in 2007, at that point Chan had been at GT for 4 years & Wannstedt at Pitt for 2.

Your best bet at a connection to Miami while Soliai was there would have been George Edwards.

Edited by Carey Bender

I guess I just don't get it. We have Kyle Williams, who went to the pro bowl last year. We have Dareus, the 3rd overall pick and 340 lbs. He had a tremendous season playing both DE and NT IMO. He was just a rookie to top it off...

We even have decent depth at DT with Heard (340 lbs), Spencer Johnson, and Troup if he is ever healthy again.

Soliai is good, but I don't think he is necessarily better than KW or Dareus. He may be better as a 3-4 NT than Williams, but not as a 4-3 DT. Either way Williams is signed to a long contract, and will be the guy.

More importantly we DON'T have good DE's, or OLB's...a MUCH bigger concern for this team. Why sign the top FA at a position which we are already set at? Put that money towards Williams, Avril, Bowe, or someone that would actually fill a need.

If the Bills go 4-3 (significant chance that they will), how do you get Soliai, KW, and Dareus all on the field at the same time? You don't. Just because Soliai is a good player, doesn't mean it would make sense for the Bills to sign him...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

If the Bills go 4-3 (significant chance that they will), how do you get Soliai, KW, and Dareus all on the field at the same time? You don't. Just because Soliai is a good player, doesn't mean it would make sense for the Bills to sign him...

For those that want Soliai signed I think the assumption would be that they are sticking with the 34.