The Bills are a good football team

Rob's House

A team that doesn't lose it's starting QB should never go 1-8 to finish a season. Ever. The Chiefs went 3-4 with Tyler Palko and Kyle Orton getting snaps without Jamaal Charles and missing Eric Berry since Week 1.

Buffalo entered the 2012 off-season with questions at OLT, pass rush, WR, CB, and LB. They don't know which defense or aren't letting on it'll be changed, and have to re-sign their top WR. It goes without saying they don't get into bidding wars for top UFA's and if that's the case in 2012, they'll again be banking on rookies to provide the difference. That's never worked.

Buffalo hasn't spent big money on a UFA since 2007 and that trend doesn't look to be changing. Still, Nix doesn't hit enough home runs on draft day, particularly in later rounds to make up for his misses. So much for that "top 5 talent evaluator" moniker people attached to him.

no they are not

1-5 in division, 4-12 followed by 6-10, and a GENERATION of irrelevance does NOT add up to a "good football team"

Is this a joke?

LOL, It must be. The Bills team that I know sucks SO BAD, that few fans actually WANT the team to move. It's a damn shame. Still, the denial apparent in this thread isn't an answer. We're an awful team. However, with a few key peices, we could improve substantially. 4-3DE, 4-3OLB, OT/OG, WR/TE, and of course, a QB that wants to win. So maybe that's more than a few. Still, IMO it's fixable in the next couple of drafts.

Edited by #34fan

Suppose the Monday after we beat the Pats and were all floating on cloud 9, . . . The Playoffs started the next week and we were in it. Would you have thought "championship" or would you have hoped to win a game and look respectable?

Basically, at Full Strength, are we the Niners/Giants/Pats, or are we the Lions/Texans?

Put another way, are you (OP) excited about contending for the superbowl, or just about contending to back-into the playoffs.

Edited by maddenboy

C'mon CodeMonkey. Fans like you ought to be demanding more. Twelve years is too long. We've been rebuilding and rebuilding and rebuilding. Next season it has to be.

I agree that 12 years is far too long to suck so bad. But if they do not make the playoffs next season you want to do what, fire Gailey and Nix and start over again? I just don't see how that helps unless they can get considerably better replacements.

If the team continues to show improvement, playoffs or no playoffs, I would say to stay the course. If they regress however and have another poor draft and season, then all options are open.

Edited by CodeMonkey

A team that doesn't lose it's starting QB should never go 1-8 to finish a season. Ever. The Chiefs went 3-4 with Tyler Palko and Kyle Orton getting snaps without Jamaal Charles and missing Eric Berry since Week 1.

Buffalo entered the 2012 off-season with questions at OLT, pass rush, WR, CB, and LB. They don't know which defense or aren't letting on it'll be changed, and have to re-sign their top WR. It goes without saying they don't get into bidding wars for top UFA's and if that's the case in 2012, they'll again be banking on rookies to provide the difference. That's never worked.

Buffalo hasn't spent big money on a UFA since 2007 and that trend doesn't look to be changing. Still, Nix doesn't hit enough home runs on draft day, particularly in later rounds to make up for his misses. So much for that "top 5 talent evaluator" moniker people attached to him.

Although I don't agree with all of your post. The part about Nix is debatable. I agree wholeheartedly about the losing streak. Good football teams do not lose 7 straight games, regardless of who is injured. Good football teams find ways to win close winnable games. This team found a new way to lose each week except for the times when they failed to show up at all.

Edited by xsoldier54

I know there was much talk of a repeat of 2007 that ultimately came to fruition, but before we delve deeper into dispair I want everyone to imagine the following scenario:

Suppose the Monday after we beat the Pats and were all floating on cloud 9, you found out that there had been a car accident and we would be without the services of Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams, Wood, Bell, and Hairston for several weeks, if not the whole season, would you have expected the winning trend to continue? Or would you maybe think that KEY injuries had just cost us what might have been a great season?

Remember, this is after we already endured and overcame the losses of McGee, Easley, Parrish, and Merriman for the season, D. Jones for much of it, and Stevie and Troup playing through significant injuries.

I know injuries are part of the game. They're the part that makes good teams lose. We're closer than a lot of us think. Next year should be fun.*

* Assumes we resign SJ

I think the Bills are definitely on the upswing and heading for long term playoff contention starting this coming 2012 season. I say this because there seems to be a young core of "pro bowl" type players...Marcell Dareus, Fred Jackson (while not young he's got a lot of tread left), Stevie Johnson, Andy Levitre, CJ Spiller, Kyle Williams, Aaron Williams, Eric Wood. Along with them you have "solid starter" types in Nick Barnett, Jairus Byrd, Kelvin Sheppard, and George Wilson. That's a very good group of players that I can see as having multiple years in the playoffs.

Seems they still need a DE, CB, WR, LT, and OLB. As for QB, Fitzpatrick did show tremendous talent at the beginning of the season, but he's clearly the biggest question mark going into 2012 as far as determining whether they'll be good or not. He'll probably get one more year to prove himself to be the long term guy for Buffalo.

Basically, at Full Strength, are we the Niners/Giants/Pats, or are we the Lions/Texans?

Put another way, are you (OP) excited about contending for the superbowl, or just about contending to back-into the playoffs.

At full strength I think the team that opened the season hot could hang with any of them. That team beat the SB bound Pats and narrowly lost a tight one to the SB bound Giants.

And to the whiney negative Nancies, I'm sorry; "realists," out there, I know some guys think that Good teams win no matter who gets hurt, like how the entire 85 Bears team could have gone on IR and Ditka alone would have been good for 10 wins, but when your Achilles heel is depth the injuries make a big difference.

At full strength I think the team that opened the season hot could hang with any of them. That team beat the SB bound Pats and narrowly lost a tight one to the SB bound Giants.

And to the whiney negative Nancies, I'm sorry; "realists," out there, I know some guys think that Good teams win no matter who gets hurt, like how the entire 85 Bears team could have gone on IR and Ditka alone would have been good for 10 wins, but when your Achilles heel is depth the injuries make a big difference.

Awesome! Do you have your 2012 season tickets yet? Or do you want to upgrade? Thanks for the props

Regards, Ralph N Russ

Edited by Best Player Available

4-12 2010

6-10 2011

No we are not a good team. Truth told we are not a solid organization either.

We have pieces of a good team yes. But to get to the playoffs your whole roster has to be good or have a Tom Brady on your roster to cover up flaws.

I'm as strong of a Bills fan you can find but until they change the "we just want to sell tickets" bag we are in we will never get out of the funk we have been in for the last 12 seasons.

If the injury bug didn't bite so hard we would have made the playoffs this year. Pray that the injury bug stays away this year.

This is such revisionist history its not even funny. From the Dallas game on almost every opposing offense looked like they were playing against air, I've honestly never seen anything worse in my life. The stats don't even come close to telling the story because the other team didn't need to score after the first half. Dallas, Miami (first game), San Diego, and NE (2nd game) all could have scored 60+ and put up 600+ total yards EASILY if they had to. And 23-17 doesn't even come close to describing the way the titans beat us down. Also, Mark F'n SANCHEZ threw 4 tds. C'mon now, no way you can explain that with the injury bug. Every defense has injuries, the fact that one or two of em turn a bad defense (but no worse than say, New England) into one of the worst defenses of all time means there weren't enough NFL players on that side of the ball to begin with. I'm sorry, but no healthy offense (and certainly not one led by Ryan Fitzpatrick) could've made us into a playoff team. The bills are still a long way away.