ESPN Article on Bills in NY...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI: that's an AP article on the ESPN website.

jw

It's also lacking any in-depth information. How much of the 84 mil goes to the team? When is the money available? For what purpose can the money be used? Usually there are very specific guidelines that determine what the money can be used for. The fact that the stadium is owned by the county may be beneficial in this case.

Yeah, I'm a Republican but I am very happy with Cuomo so far. He'll have my vote next time, if he's not onto the national ticket by then..........He really seems to have Upstate's back unlike any other governor in memory.

Amen, Governor has my vote now as well. Don't care if the taxes go up. Keep the Bills in WNY

There are A LOT of things that I don't want my tax money to go towards but $84 Million to upgrade a COUNTY owned facility that the COUNTY earns revenue on is at least something that the state and county can get a return on.

The state should start by cutting the welfare and medicaid expenses which are three times the national average and start cracking down and welfare fraud and abuse, which costs us taxpayers and property owners substantially more than $84 Million.

Agreed about the welfare but that's a separate issue for the PPP board

But to play devils advocate how would you feel about $84 million also being spent on say the Islanders. Knicks Rangers or even the NJ J-e-t-s to lure them to long island or something

A few posters in this thread indicated their contempt for an $84 million handout for the Bills. I'm not getting into the politics of this - normally I would agree that an already-profitable business shouldn't get $84 million in tax incentives and breaks - but in this case I believe the Bills pay about $20 million/year in payroll taxes. So, if the $84 million is spread over ten years, and if that money is a condition for the Bills to stay, it's actually a relatively sound business deal for the state.

A few posters in this thread indicated their contempt for an $84 million handout for the Bills. I'm not getting into the politics of this - normally I would agree that an already-profitable business shouldn't get $84 million in tax incentives and breaks - but in this case I believe the Bills pay about $20 million/year in payroll taxes. So, if the $84 million is spread over ten years, and if that money is a condition for the Bills to stay, it's actually a relatively sound business deal for the state.

+1. Don't forget all the bars in the Orchard Park area that contribute sales tax too!

On top of the tax money generated by having these multi million dollar earners based in NY state. There are numerous economic benefits to the region having a team located in WNY. From toll booth traffic, hotel bookings, tax on merchandise, and many many other things that bring in a revenue stream. It is not like the Bills will be given 84 million dollars without any coming back in to the state coffers.

I come in for 4 games a season. Between gas, tolls, hotel, food and booze, I easily drop $1,500 a season.

Personally, I never thought Patterson had the vision to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=6zXDo4dL7SU&NR=1

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The amount proposed for the Bills may only amount to one or two player one year incomes. If the money becomes available and if the amount is substancial it may pay for improvements to the stadium. But it's chump change compared to the price that will be paid to buy the Bills, so it will be a small factor in any decision to keep the team in Buffalo. That will happen only if the new ownership wants the Bills to stay put. If so, the state money will be a plus.

An 84 million dollar allocation from state government for a sports team. Sorry, but America has got it's priorities way out of wack. Sad.

"The team would be eligible for part of an $84 million fund to be shared by several economic development interests."

There are A LOT of things that I don't want my tax money to go towards but $84 Million to upgrade a COUNTY owned facility that the COUNTY earns revenue on is at least something that the state and county can get a return on.

Does the County really earn a return on the stadium investment? Many years ago when the stadium was built, critics were saying that the Bills will be the only ones making a profit from it. The money was supposedly spent to pacify the team organization because they were threatening to move unless they got a new facility. The final plan was not a dome because the team ownership didn't want part of the money top go for that. (Who cares about fan comfort?) The Bills got such a cherry deal that they even got to decide (and profit) if there were other events held there, like concerts. The only return on the County's investment that I know of is when the stadium naming rights were sold to Rich. Ralph was pissed, stating that "the stadium should not bear the name of a person." Of course, when the Rich contract expired, no further naming rights were sold and the stadium was then named for a person anyway. Funny how that worked. Is it different now?

On top of the tax money generated by having these multi million dollar earners based in NY state. There are numerous economic benefits to the region having a team located in WNY. From toll booth traffic, hotel bookings, tax on merchandise, and many many other things that bring in a revenue stream. It is not like the Bills will be given 84 million dollars without any coming back in to the state coffers.

This

Panem et circenses. Those Romans knew their stuff.

Critical economic development investment huh. Not sure about that, but I suspect this investment by Cuomo will yield him some western new york votes.

I have had some bad thoughts about RW over the years and how he got the stadium built in the first place was among one of the reasons for that but this is obviously a good thing.

I finally realize why I dislike both of your posts, always the same cynicism over and over the only commonality being it is about the Bills.

“Cynicism is the only form in which base souls approach honesty.” Friedrich Nietzsche

"Quarrels often arise in marriages when the bridal gifts are excessive." and just to be fair from the father of Cynicism, Antisthenes

Edited by bowery4

[

I am a diehard Bills fan and dread the idea of them leaving, but honestly as a NY state (and erie county) property owner and tax payer I do not want ANY of my tax money going to ANY pro sports team in the state. period.

The NFL makes money hand over fist they might as well just print their own money they do not need public funding.

It's just more political patronage and pork to buy votes at the expense of taxpayers.

They can take a couple dollars out my check to keep the Bills in WNY... Tell the governor I'll pay your cut too... Just take it out my check...

I have had some bad thoughts about RW over the years and how he got the stadium built in the first place was among one of the reasons for that but this is obviously a good thing.

I finally realize why I dislike both of your posts, always the same cynicism over and over the only commonality being it is about the Bills.

“Cynicism is the only form in which base souls approach honesty.” Friedrich Nietzsche

"Quarrels often arise in marriages when the bridal gifts are excessive." and just to be fair from the father of Cynicism, Antisthenes

I absolutely am cynical when it comes to politicians. But are you saying in this case you think that Cuomo believes that upgrades to the Ralph are a "critical economic development investment" for New York? And there are not other needs in this state, like maybe people without jobs trying to hold onto their homes or feed their families, that Cuomo might realize is just a little more important than football stadium upgrades. But thinks that upgrading the Ralph will be a better political option for him come reelection time? If so, then you are far more trusting than I am. Far, far more trusting.

I absolutely am cynical when it comes to politicians. But are you saying in this case you think that Cuomo believes that upgrades to the Ralph are a "critical economic development investment" for New York? And there are not other needs in this state, like maybe people without jobs trying to hold onto their homes or feed their families, that Cuomo might realize is just a little more important than football stadium upgrades. But thinks that upgrading the Ralph will be a better political option for him come reelection time? If so, then you are far more trusting than I am. Far, far more trusting.

Hey I put the

"Quarrels often arise in marriages when the bridal gifts are excessive." and just to be fair, from the father of Cynicism, Antisthenes

in there.

But my opinion is that after living away from Bflo. for almost 20 years now is that keeping them in the area is a very good thing for the city. If for no other reason then it remains a big city, in peoples minds and gets press (I understand the Bills press is not great but press is press). The tax money going to the stadium (not the team directly) is good to help that happen. There are fiscal benefits to having the team there to the state and vise-versa. I understand things are rough there and have been for a long time. It also help me feel like it is my home in a way that wouldn't happen if the Bills were not there, I don't have the money or urge to come back but if I was running a business that feeling might convince me to spend some of my dollars on some sort of enterprise there.