[closed]Saved by Vernon Davis...

Did anyone else watch Whitner try to blow the SF game?

There have been a lot of suggestions that Whitner is all of the sudden now good somehow, now that he is playing with some of the best defensive players in the league on the best coached team.

Anyone who watched the 9'ers game this weekend would have seen the same thing from Whitner, that made him a liability as a Bills player. He landed a good hit early in the game...But late, when it mattered, he made two of the worst plays I have ever seen a safety make.

The first go ahead TD, a 44 yard catch and run by Sproles, should never have happened. Whitner should had him dead to rights, but he went stiff legged and never even touched Sproles. Whitner can ONLY tackle by making a hit, he does not know how to take a line on a guy like Sproles and wrap him up, or at least slow him down.

On the next drive, Brees hit Jimmy Graham over the middle of the field. Whitner again had him dead to rights, and made some embarrassing half leap and just flew right by him, allowing Graham a clear path to the endzone. Even the announcers were calling him out for it. If he had any ball skills he might have had a shot at picking it. Not really shocking he got beat by a TE though...

This was all made moot in the game, by amazing clutch plays by Vernon Davis. This guy is scary fast for a TE, with good hands to boot. Had it not been for Davis, it would have made for some interesting Whitner threads on the SF forums...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Whitner was not worthy of number 8 pick..but he never sucked.

Stop hating....I'm glad he has the opportunity to play in a Championship game.

Best of luck to him and all of the other former Bills who have advanced further than what the Bills could take them.

Edited by VADC Bills

There have been a lot of suggestions that Whitner is all of the sudden now good somehow, now that he is playing with some of the best defensive players in the league on the best coached team.

Anyone who watched the 9'ers game this weekend would have seen the same thing from Whitner, that made him a liability as a Bills player. He landed a good hit early in the game...But late, when it mattered, he made two of the worst plays I have ever seen a safety make.

The first go ahead TD, a 44 yard catch and run by Sproles, should never have happened. Whitner should had him dead to rights, but he went stiff legged and never even touched Sproles. Whitner can ONLY tackle by making a hit, he does not know how to take a line on a guy like Sproles and wrap him up, or at least slow him down.

On the next drive, Brees hit Jimmy Graham over the middle of the field. Whitner again had him dead to rights, and made some embarrassing half leap and just flew right by him, allowing Graham a clear path to the endzone. Even the announcers were calling him out for it. If he had any ball skills he might have had a shot at picking it. Not really shocking he got beat by a TE though...

This was all made moot in the game, by amazing clutch plays by Vernon Davis. This guy is scary fast for a TE, with good hands to boot. Had it not been for Davis, it would have made for some interesting Whitner threads on the SF forums...

This is pathetic :wallbash:

Best of luck to him and all of the other former Bills who have advanced further than what the Bills could take them.

You are correct. He never sucked. He stunk...and sucked.

Interestingly enough, I didn't mind that the Bills picked him at 8. Even though he was considered a "reach". But I guess we differ in opinion on his talent level. I would have been thoroughly disappointed if the Bills had resigned him. George Wilson is light years better.

True I'm not Whitner fan, but this was more to counter the arguments by people saying that he is all of the sudden good now, since the 9'rs are good. Whitner is still Whitner, and the weak link on that defense.

I wish luck to Fewell, who has seemed to turn the Giants defense around at the right time... I don't wish anything against Whitner or the 9'rs, in fact I've been very excited to see them win. I'm just commenting on what I see.

This is pathetic :wallbash:

You always make such a meaningful contribution to threads...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Whitner isn't so bad. Never liked him as a Bill, though, I thought he had a great game despite looking foolish on a couple plays. The real story is how good Sproles, Graham and Vernon Davis are. Those guys are scary good.

Davis really stood out. I always thought he was good, but when I saw him lined up as a WR, and burn a CB with speed for a big play he gained a whole other level of respect from me...

Sproles is awesome. I'd like to see Spiller used in a similar way, I think he could have similar success...

While it looks like we finally have a decent TE in Scott Chandler, I coveted Vernon Davis in the 2006 draft.

I think Donahoe might have drafted him too, had the 49ers not taken him 2 picks before we drafted Whitner.

While it looks like we finally have a decent TE in Scott Chandler, I coveted Vernon Davis in the 2006 draft.

I think Donahoe might have drafted him too, had the 49ers not taken him 2 picks before we drafted Whitner.

Chandler's a UFA, and Nix has seemed ambivalent about retaining him. Let's not get our hopes up for Chandler 2012.

From The Senator:

Totally agree. Davis was the one I thought the Bills should draft. When he went to SF, I had no other player targeted as a must have, so I was ambivalent about Whitner. In the end, it wasn't a geat pick for us. George Wilson is proving himself a better Safety.

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

Chandler's a UFA, and Nix has seemed ambivalent about retaining him. Let's not get our hopes up for Chandler 2012.

Man it sure was nice having a big guy in the redzone for a season...I can't imagine it would cost that much to retain him. Not bringing him back, especially with our lack of pass catchers, wouldn't make a lot of sense to me.

From The Senator:

Totally agree. Davis was the one I thought the Bills should draft. When he went to SF, I had no other player targeted as a must have, so I was ambivalent about Whitner. In the end, it wasn't a geat pick for us. George Wilson is proving himself a better Safety.

Damn 9'rs, they so they took Willis AND Davis ahead of us, now they are top NFC seed remaining...

And they got Whitner anyway...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

we all know whitney sucked and is a puss. just let it go. we are way better off without him

Boy did he suck. Played just as bad in that game as he did in some of the Games with the Bills. I have NO IDEA What Marv was thinking when he drafted this guy? Maybe a late second round pick at best...

Man it sure was nice having a big guy in the redzone for a season...I can't imagine it would cost that much to retain him. Not bringing him back, especially with our lack of pass catchers, wouldn't make a lot of sense to me.

I thought it would be a gimme, too, but this article is interesting: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/1/17/2713166/scott-chandler-bills-craig-stevens-free-agency

Essentially, there may be a bonkers market for tight ends this spring. The first real hint is the Titans' signing of Craig Stevens to a $4M/season deal. I hadn't heard of him, but he's this guy: http://www.nfl.com/player/craigstevens/1992/profile. He's primarily a blocker, but he's almost certainly going to set the floor for a Chandler deal. We could be looking at someone tossing Scott C. a $5M/season deal, or more. I think it might well still be worth it, but I can see why Nix at least measured his response there, especially since Chan seems to view the position as fairly expendible.

I do think we really need a big, soft-handed red zone pass-catching threat. If we can find a WR who fits the bill, we can conserve on TE.

I thought it would be a gimme, too, but this article is interesting: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/1/17/2713166/scott-chandler-bills-craig-stevens-free-agency

Essentially, there may be a bonkers market for tight ends this spring. The first real hint is the Titans' signing of Craig Stevens to a $4M/season deal. I hadn't heard of him, but he's this guy: http://www.nfl.com/player/craigstevens/1992/profile. He's primarily a blocker, but he's almost certainly going to set the floor for a Chandler deal. We could be looking at someone tossing Scott C. a $5M/season deal, or more. I think it might well still be worth it, but I can see why Nix at least measured his response there, especially since Chan seems to view the position as fairly expendible.

I do think we really need a big, soft-handed red zone pass-catching threat. If we can find a WR who fits the bill, we can conserve on TE.

Thanks for the links...

Yeah that certainly does not look good for us. I know Gailey is not a big into the TE position in his spread offense, but Chandler was amazing in the redzone. Something the Bills have missed for a long time.

There was also some #52 for the 49ers in coverage of Jimmy Graham on the go-ahead TD. I suppose its not equally his fault for getting torched is it? or was Whitner wearing both #52 and #31 on that play?

Ture, Willis gave up the catch and also failed to tackle him, so he deserves some of the "credit". But he was trying to catch up to Graham from behind. Whitner is the saftey, in between Graham and the end zone. He wiffed on the tackle, or whiffed on the ball, either way he was the last real line of defense. It's one thing to give up the play, its another thing when the safety completely whiffs, and turns that 20 yard gain into a long go ahead TD.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

[This is an automated response]

This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread.

Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics.

Thank you.