Tebow TD should have been called back!

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_775981.html

Steelers dont' seem to care about the non-call. They are rightly more upset at how they played the game. They were severely out-coached, and lost the game because once they got in FG range, Ben took a sack, a delay of game, and another sack. Fixes: throw the ball away and call time out!. The fact he held onto the ball so longs indicates poor coaching. Once in FG range to win the game, throw the ball away. OR EVEN BETTER.. Redman was having an awesome game, why not run some draw plays or run him in some other variant in that situation.

End of story. Period. Kudos to the Steelers for not blaming referees, like so many chickenshits always do after defeat. By the Steelers attitude that they messed up, you can see in their attitude why they are such a great organization.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is amazing that this thread was started by the OP over a "missed penalty" that gave the Broncos absolutely no advantage at all, yet the OP does not mention the obvious blown call on the fumbled lateral that took 7 points off the board (Denver picked up the ball and could have walked into the end zone) for the Broncos.

Ridiculous thread.

It is amazing that this thread was started by the OP over a "missed penalty" that gave the Broncos absolutely no advantage at all, yet the OP does not mention the obvious blown call on the fumbled lateral that took 7 points off the board (Denver picked up the ball and could have walked into the end zone) for the Broncos.

Ridiculous thread.

How does lining up off the line not give a person an advantage? it makes them harder to get around. why.can.anyone.not.understand.this.

How does lining up off the line not give a person an advantage? it makes them harder to get around. why.can.anyone.not.understand.this.

Except that guy didnt stay in and block. So again, how does being 4 inches behind where he should be give him any advantage?

he also didn't line up on the line of scrimmage. which should have been a penalty...

The refs also didn't PERCEIVE it as a rule infraction (or simply didn't catch it) either way, no harm, no foul called, and in the strictest view of reality, it had ZERO effect on the outcome of the play. how about we spend four pages going over the missed face masks? Just as pointless.

The refs also didn't PERCEIVE it as a rule infraction (or simply didn't catch it) either way, no harm, no foul called, and in the strictest view of reality, it had ZERO effect on the outcome of the play. how about we spend four pages going over the missed face masks? Just as pointless.

thanks for adding nothing to the thread. all i said was that the guy is clearly lined up off the line and it should have been a penalty. i never said 'waaahhhhhh pitt lost because of them not calling that penalty'

And what would you say if the rule was enforced against the Bills and it cost them a touchdown and led to a defeat?

My point is that you have to call it every time or just get rid of the rule.

Officials miss calls all day long. Sometimes they are on critical plays, sometimes they are not. It is part of the human element of refereeing a game. Pittsburgh got plenty of calls that went their way. They had ample opportunity to win this game. They didn't, plain and simple.

Im truly not following your logic there.

We're talking about one player being a few inches forward or back. I dont see how that would be used to an advantage more than an OL holding to spring a runner, or an extra guy on the field.

What is the stark advantage that the TE got for being about 4 inches farther back than he should have been? How was it a bigger advantage than a hold or an extra player on the field?

Are you serious? Do you not see how a blocker gains a huge advantage against a pass rusher, especially a speed rusher by being a couple inches further in the backfield? (and I'd argue that we're talking about feet, not inches)

Watch the games and you can predict whether it is a running play or a pass in many cases based on how the o-line is set up.

Are you serious? Do you not see how a blocker gains a huge advantage against a pass rusher, especially a speed rusher by being a couple inches further in the backfield? (and I'd argue that we're talking about feet, not inches)

Watch the games and you can predict whether it is a running play or a pass in many cases based on how the o-line is set up.

I wasn't sure if they were intentionally being obtuse either.

I am not going to bother to read this whole thread, but I just felt the need to chime in here.

These things are the exact things you would find in a book "Things losers say"...The formation has exactly nothing to do with the result of the play. The Steelers made a mistake and paid for it, and even they admit as much. You dont hear them saying they got screwed by the refs, because they did NOT get screwed by the refs. Do you have any idea of the number of times a game there is something that can be called and isn't? I promise you that on many plays that game the Steelers could have been called for holding, but were not...thats because you can almost call holding on just about every play.

That is football, its not a video game...its a game being played by real life humans, and some rules require them to see something quickly and make a quick judgement call. Just like there are plays that get called but in the replay you can see that there was no foul but based on the angle of view the ref had it had looked like one during live play.

Refs do their best (despite that morons here you seem to think there is always a conspiracy theory against the Bills by the refs and NFL) to officiate the games...I promise you there are some that throw a flag on that play and also some that don't. Its not why Pitt lost that game...they lost that game based on how they played the whole game. Plus, the rule states the players need to be within the belt line of the center, and the player in question is very close to the belt line...its not like he was 5 feet off the LOS...

Move on people, the Steelers have and acknowledge they blew the game not the refs...

if he would have stayed in and blocked, it would have.

As Dr.D said, he didn't. So there could be no advantage on that play.

Anyway, my point was there would have been no OT if the obvious fumbled lateral was called as such. Instead we are pondering whether a guy lining up off the line allowed Tim Tebow to throw an absolute quick strike to a receiver in stride to win the game.

This is a "penalty" that likely doesn't get called hundreds of times per season. Do we go back and get the ruler out on every scoring drive to find one to scream about? Let Mike Perierra do it--he'll do anything to get in print.

I am not going to bother to read this whole thread, but I just felt the need to chime in here.

These things are the exact things you would find in a book "Things losers say"...The formation has exactly nothing to do with the result of the play. The Steelers made a mistake and paid for it, and even they admit as much. You dont hear them saying they got screwed by the refs, because they did NOT get screwed by the refs. Do you have any idea of the number of times a game there is something that can be called and isn't? I promise you that on many plays that game the Steelers could have been called for holding, but were not...thats because you can almost call holding on just about every play.

That is football, its not a video game...its a game being played by real life humans, and some rules require them to see something quickly and make a quick judgement call. Just like there are plays that get called but in the replay you can see that there was no foul but based on the angle of view the ref had it had looked like one during live play.

Refs do their best (despite that morons here you seem to think there is always a conspiracy theory against the Bills by the refs and NFL) to officiate the games...I promise you there are some that throw a flag on that play and also some that don't. Its not why Pitt lost that game...they lost that game based on how they played the whole game. Plus, the rule states the players need to be within the belt line of the center, and the player in question is very close to the belt line...its not like he was 5 feet off the LOS...

Move on people, the Steelers have and acknowledge they blew the game not the refs...

Will you at least acknowledge that subtle manipulation,i.e. scheduling, steering of players, marketing, rule enforcement (not neccessarily just referees), exists? If not, then you sir are the moron. Let me remind you, that the NFL is a BUSINESS, why would leauge officials and team management

reprsentatives not get together from time to time to discuss what policies, rules, and other issues are the most beneficial to the leauge as a whole?

Other industries do it, they have to be carefull that it is not considered collusion, but the NFL does not have that same concern. Everyone wants to brand this type of activity as a conspiracy, and they can call it what they want, but it definitley happens.

Edited by Cookiemonster