We need a pass rush Period!!!!!!

D521646

To all those folks saying our biggest need is an OT I say you're nutz!!!!!

Hairston, Bell are fine (Assuming we keep Bell). We had the lowest sacks against last year I think, and that was with a mixed bag of shuffling OT's. Giving up a sack here and there is NOT, I repeat NOT a big deal. OC's can compensate for an agressive pass rush. We absolutely need two pass rushers and play a wide nine scheme. With Williams healthy, and Darius in the middle a wide nine is our best shot. Darius, and Williams push up the middle force the QB to the outside and the pocket breaks down and one of the outside guys grabs the QB.. I say we sign a FA, and draft two rookies at DE, or one DE, and two OLB early. We then draft CB or WR, lose oour FB, and go with two and three TE sets with Spiller and Freddy in split back formations. Yes we run the spread often, but with the split backs and TE look we can run or pass.

The offense IMO is not the problem. hagen looks good and will be fighting for a spot on the roster and will probably win out. He's a deep threat that can run great routes, and come in the middle. No Sir. Our biggests needs are on defense again this year and anyone that doesn't see that is sniffing glue! :)

Tim-

Hairston, Bell are fine (Assuming we keep Bell). We had the lowest sacks against last year I think, and that was with a mixed bag of shuffling OT's. Giving up a sack here and there is NOT, I repeat NOT a big deal. OC's can compensate for an agressive pass rush. We absolutely need two pass rushers and play a wide nine scheme. With Williams healthy, and Darius in the middle a wide nine is our best shot. Darius, and Williams push up the middle force the QB to the outside and the pocket breaks down and one of the outside guys grabs the QB.. I say we sign a FA, and draft two rookies at DE, or one DE, and two OLB early. We then draft CB or WR, lose oour FB, and go with two and three TE sets with Spiller and Freddy in split back formations. Yes we run the spread often, but with the split backs and TE look we can run or pass.

The offense IMO is not the problem. hagen looks good and will be fighting for a spot on the roster and will probably win out. He's a deep threat that can run great routes, and come in the middle. No Sir. Our biggests needs are on defense again this year and anyone that doesn't see that is sniffing glue! :)

Tim-

100% agree. They need Real DEs and Real OLB. They need a gamechanger even if they have to break the bank to get them here. I'd say they need a minimum of 4-5 players on Defense upgraded from this years squad. 2 DEs 2 OLBs and 1 CB. That would make a big difference if they can upgrade all those positions. The Only Offensive weapons they need is another WR or 2. You know guys that can actually catch Fitz's balls. ;)

1326294400[/url]' post='2360205']

100% agree. They need Real DEs and Real OLB. They need a gamechanger even if they have to break the bank to get them here. I'd say they need a minimum of 4-5 players on Defense upgraded from this years squad. 2 DEs 2 OLBs and 1 CB. That would make a big difference if they can upgrade all those positions. The Only Offensive weapons they need is another WR or 2. You know guys that can actually catch Fitz's balls. ;)

And a qb that can actually throw a decent pass and move the chains on 3rd and long. Or not throw a 2 yard screen pass into the ground. Or not lead the NFL in picks. Or not lose 7 games in a row when in the playoff hunt. Or not sit on the sideline looking like life is grand (oh wait it, it is now that he gets paid 10 mill a year) while you getting your beat by 3 scores.

Yes. Our wrs suck. So does our QB. Mediocre at best over the course of a season. Too bad the qbs that will be available when we pick will be reaches at 10. (yes BB, Tannehill is a each at 10. But if they take him, I won't complain. We need a good qb)

Hairston, Bell are fine a joke and it has been so bad for the Bills that people think this is an acceptable level of performance. (Assuming we keep Bell). We had the lowest sacks against last year I think, and that was with a mixed bag of shuffling OT's. Giving up a sack here and there is NOT, I repeat NOT a big deal. OC's can compensate for an agressive pass rush. We absolutely need two pass rushers and play a wide nine scheme. With Williams healthy, and Darius in the middle a wide nine is our best shot. Darius, and Williams push up the middle force the QB to the outside and the pocket breaks down and one of the outside guys grabs the QB.. I say we sign a FA, and draft two rookies at DE, or one DE, and two OLB early. We then draft CB or WR, lose oour FB, and go with two and three TE sets with Spiller and Freddy in split back formations. Yes we run the spread often, but with the split backs and TE look we can run or pass.

Tim-

You answer your own questions here almost. Your statement that offensive coordinators can account for an aggressive pass rush is SPOT on but you were focusing on the wrong team! It is the BILLS whose offensive coordinator(Gailey)/scheme accounts for an aggressive pass rush.

Fitz was the second fastest QB in the league getting rid of the ball quickly because our line can't hold up. We need a LT so that our QB actually has time to chose between a few options and go through his progressions instead of making the best guess based on pre-snap reads and letting it fly.

That being said pass rushers are a BIGGER need but if the right LT falls to us at #10 and there isn't a pass rusher that isn't considered a reach I would be ecstatic if we got an LT.

Edited by PDaDdy

Yes. Our wrs suck. So does our QB. Mediocre at best over the course of a season. Too bad the qbs that will be available when we pick will be reaches at 10. (yes BB, Tannehill is a each at 10. But if they take him, I won't complain. We need a good qb)

The agenda continues.

Sorry but Fitz played very good, almost great through our 5-2 start. Then, our offense became ravaged with injuries. Its hard to peform at a high level when you lose your No. 2 WR,your best playmaker in FJ, your starting center,TE, and LT.

Kinda tough when your throwing balls to Naaman Roosevelt and Hagan while your o-line is patch work at best.

If you think Hairston and Bell are fine at LT, then you should be fine with Dareus and Carrington at DE.

My point is that getting a good/great LT should be as important a priority as getting a good/great DE and LB.

You need all of those things. Bell is decent but cannot stay healthy. Hairston looked like he has some potential but is a big question mark for a team that desperately needs a playoff run.

Well, I see I hit a nerve? You must be one of those that thinks our TOP need is a LT? Look, we can disagree on that all day long and I will. We simply do NOT need a LT. Giving Fitz another half second to work through his progressions is nonsense. We don't waste a 10th overall pick on a half second of QB time.. Silly doesn't gein to describe that idea.

Tim-

I RARELY agree with most posts but this one is right ,,mostly.lol. I try to see what possibilities exist so heres mine..

Williams and Dareus at dt,+ Heard + FA .I think troup isnt going to be there next season.

free agent Calias Cambell !!!. and carrington or...

olb Upshaw or Hightower as our number 1... Merrriman at the other or another olb like brandon jenkins or audie cole....moats etc.i wish we had two ones this year ..and take both UPSHAW AND HIGHTOWER ..

Barnett and Sheppard at the inside,,

if even that happens the defensend secondary is going to be vastly improved .

.the possibility of Paul Solai still exists .under the cba agreement he is a unrestricted free agent this yr.he has had .past conflicts with dolphin management,, considering that wanny and gailey drafted him out of college , thats adds to the interest imo.. put him into the mix and think of whats possible.

as FAR AS OUR OFFENSE ,I D WISH FOR COLSTON AND FINLEY, BUT MOSTLY A SEASON INJURY FREE..that leaves alot more draft picks for depth!

Edited by tombstone56

Well, I see I hit a nerve? You must be one of those that thinks our TOP need is a LT? Look, we can disagree on that all day long and I will. We simply do NOT need a LT. Giving Fitz another half second to work through his progressions is nonsense. We don't waste a 10th overall pick on a half second of QB time.. Silly doesn't gein to describe that idea.

Tim-

Our sack totals are misleading. Our entire offensive scheme was devised in part because our tackles stink. Really stink. I'm not a Fitz apologist, and he's too classy to go all "Jets" on his oline, but maybe if he didn't feel the need to gamble all the time he's have 5-6 less INTs than he did. And maybe if he didn't have scrubs for WR, accurate passes wouldn't turn into tipped balls because many of our WRs seem to lack the fundamentals of catching the ball.

I'll give Nix a pat on the back for Pears as insurance for Clabo. He was OK.

I think discussion Ralph Channix etc. is going to consider a 4-3 and screw up most mocks. If we go to a 4-3 with Williams/Dareus in the middle, watch for rush-happy OLB's in RD1. I'm ecstatic re Upshaw and would take the BCS#1 sackman Mercilus.

Riley Reiff is the draft's 6th-rated player at this point. If he falls to the Bills, they have to look at him, and make a play in FA for a Mario Williams DE plus reach for OLB in RD2 (Vinny Curry? I don't like Bruce Irvin here).It's not the road I would take.

Tim-

A half second plus of time is a lifetime to an NFL QB. It can be the difference between incompletions and completions. It can be the difference between hurried "gun slung" balls and crisp rhythm passes. It can be the difference between a clean pocket and numerous QB hits.

Little known facts!!!!

1a) Fitzpatrick was the second fastest QB in the league getting rid of the ball

1b) The Bills were 2nd WORST in the league with their QB taking 3.1 hits for every one of their 23 sacks

2a) Hasselbach was the fastest QB in the league getting rid of the ball

2b) The Titans were THE worst team in the league with their QB taking just over 3.1 hits for every one of their 24 sacks

What might we infer from this? The QBs in the league that get rid of the ball the fastest take the fewest sacks. Some are actually just barely getting the ball away before being sacked as some are the most frequently "hit" QBs per sack given up. This doesn't even take into consideration "hurries" which I haven't found stats for.

I agree that pass rush is our biggest problem but I would be just fine if one of the 2 best LTs fell to us and a premier day 1 starter at DE or OLB isn't there. Get your education on!

Our sack totals are misleading. Our entire offensive scheme was devised in part because our tackles stink. Really stink. I'm not a Fitz apologist, and he's too classy to go all "Jets" on his oline, but maybe if he didn't feel the need to gamble all the time he's have 5-6 less INTs than he did. And maybe if he didn't have scrubs for WR, accurate passes wouldn't turn into tipped balls because many of our WRs seem to lack the fundamentals of catching the ball.

I'll give Nix a pat on the back for Pears as insurance for Clabo. He was OK.

There ya go! An informed football opinion based upon the team as a whole not looking at LT and the QB in vacuums.

Edited by PDaDdy

Tim-

No argument the Bills need to generate a pass rush and they need to upgrade the DE and OLB positions. You give any NFL quarterback as much time and comfort as the Bills have afforded and you're going to get beat.

That said I think the draft strategy boils down to value balanced with need rather than just need. If you're sitting at #10 and one of the tops LT's falls to you and relative to the DE's and OLB's on the board if the LT ranks higher you take him. To state the Bills don't need an upgrade at LT is to ignore the issues with the current LT's on the roster. Bell cannot stay healthy and Hairston might not have the footwork and athleticism to handle the QB's blind side. The Bills offensive approach hid the shortcomings in the O-line by utilizing 3 step drops, quick short passes, and generally pass plays where Fitz 'locked in' on a specific receiver rather than having time to go through any progressions.

LT is important,but we have no pass rush at all, and don't even say we have Merriman. cuz he got hurt the first 5 minutes of practice last year just lacing up his shoes. He is a shell of what he used to be. We gambled on him and so far we have lost, but the Bills follow the three strike rule, well keep him until camp and see what he can and can't do !

That being said we need Pass Rushers, - ala Bruce Smith guys who can bring the heat from OLB or DE which ever way we need to bring the heat !

Hopefully the Bills won't try and out think all the other 31 teams and draft some no name from God knows where,find the best Pass Rusher and Draft him in the most appropiate round.

Edited by Wood is Good

Well here we go yet again with the O-line debate.

This is really all that needs to be said:

Buddy Nix said that the Bills top needs are pass rusher, big wide receiver, and offensive tackle.

He even said they would draft an offensive tackle.

So yes, it is a need but no, it's not the primary or even the secondary need.

Tim-

How'd the wide 9 thing work out in Chi town ?? Didn't do much for me !! I'll stick with what Wanny does he's got just a bit more experience at it then you or i do !!

I do agree with you that our D is priority though :thumbsup: !!!