Vontaze Burfict defensive game changer

I'm an ASU fan who watches as many of their games as I can on TV or web streams, and I was MASSIVELY disappointed with Burfict. He definitely looked slower to me this year, and his attitude is not good. Constantly getting personal fouls. The past two years they were almost all for continuing to push and shove after the whistle. This year, he added b!tching at the refs to his repertoire. I suggested in an earlier thread about Burfict that maybe he belongs at DE; I think his mentality and skill set are better suited to just turning him loose on QBs. Coverage doesn't look like it will ever be a strong point so if he stays at MLB, he might be just a 1st and 2nd down guy. No earthly way I'd consider him with the 10th pick...and without knowing what free agency will bring, I absolutely want that pick to go for defense. We can find better than this guy.

I don't think anyone besides the OP is saying that we should take him with the #10 pick in the draft. My contention is that he will likely be selected somewhere in the 1st round. There is a chance, depending upon how he does at the combine and how he interviews with teams, that he could slip to the 2nd round. What I find to be absolutely ridiculous is people who are saying that they wouldn't even consider him with our 5th or 6th round pick. Trust me, any team would be doing cartwheels to the podium if he was still on the board in the 5th round.

I don't think anyone besides the OP is saying that we should take him with the #10 pick in the draft. My contention is that he will likely be selected somewhere in the 1st round. There is a chance, depending upon how he does at the combine and how he interviews with teams, that he could slip to the 2nd round. What I find to be absolutely ridiculous is people who are saying that they wouldn't even consider him with our 5th or 6th round pick. Trust me, any team would be doing cartwheels to the podium if he was still on the board in the 5th round.

Trust, several teams won't even have him on their boards. He will go early but several won't even look at him.

He will be drafted in the 1st round due to his exceptional size, speed, and athleticism. If you look around a bit, I think most experts would agree that he is a top 2 or 3 ILB coming out this year. Yes, there are character concerns, and criticism's about needing to work on his technique (particularly in pass coverage), but some team in the latter half of the 1st round will take a chance on him.

Todd McShay had this to say about him...

"Burfict is a work in progress and needs more game experience and coaching, but he is a physical specimen who can play sideline-to-sideline and blow plays up like no other linebacker in the country.

Unfortunately it's bench to bench, as he doesn't stop at the sideline or whistle. He also seems to have lost some of the explosion in his game when I've seen him.

At some point, the Bills will have to start trying to tame lions, rather than teaching kittens to hunt, if you catch my drift.

I agree but I don't think this is that guy.

At some point, the Bills will have to start trying to tame lions, rather than teaching kittens to hunt, if you catch my drift.

I agree with this, but this lion doesnt even hunt.

Id LOVE for the Bills to have a defender who is a little on the dirty side and goes out to inflict pain on the opposition. But from what Ive seen of Burfict's play, he doesnt make those big plays. His personal fouls come from hitting players after the whistle who others have already tackled, and that type of garbage.

I agree with this, but this lion doesnt even hunt.

Id LOVE for the Bills to have a defender who is a little on the dirty side and goes out to inflict pain on the opposition. But from what Ive seen of Burfict's play, he doesnt make those big plays. His personal fouls come from hitting players after the whistle who others have already tackled, and that type of garbage.

You're dead on. I love aggressive football players but I can't stuff dumb ones. One of the issues with Burfict seems to be a rough upbringing and this is the type of stuff that is just going to remain with him. The ASU staff tried everything to calm him down. But even in a year where he was playing for millions of dollars, he was still hurting his team with dumb penalties (btw, punching a guy with a helmet on is so tough!).

Look no further than the Saints-Lions game earlier this year. The Lions kept trying to "prove" something. It helped cost them a game. Burfict could be a star in ths league. But IMO, his head will prevent him from that.

You're dead on. I love aggressive football players but I can't stuff dumb ones. One of the issues with Burfict seems to be a rough upbringing and this is the type of stuff that is just going to remain with him. The ASU staff tried everything to calm him down. But even in a year where he was playing for millions of dollars, he was still hurting his team with dumb penalties (btw, punching a guy with a helmet on is so tough!).

Look no further than the Saints-Lions game earlier this year. The Lions kept trying to "prove" something. It helped cost them a game. Burfict could be a star in ths league. But IMO, his head will prevent him from that.

Prime example. Should've been a tight game. Saints knew they could get in their heads and it worked. They did all those little things to bug the opponent and the difference in that game was the lions not being tough enough mentally to know it's time to back down.

Lets put it perspective LaGarrette Blount was clearly clearly a Top 50 TALENT, Like there was little doubt about him as far as the NFL draft was concerned.

He went Undrafted for something that didn't hurt his team on the field. I'm not condoning sucker punching a trash talker after he turns his back, but the game was over the Ducks already lost.

Burfict is a head case that finally got benched in their bowl game, He probably would have been benched on most other teams because he cost his teams wins by being on the field.

I'm telling you most of the teams in the NFL especially the Buffalo Bills are not going to look at him at all. (period)

It would take a team like the Raiders to draft him. The Raiders don't pick until 5th so maybe Burfict is there for them.

I wouldn't be surprised is he has a sick combine and someone takes a chance on him. I also wouldn't be surprised if he goes Undrafted.

I will tell you with 100% accuracy he will not be a Buffalo Bill in 2012.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Lets put it perspective LaGarrette Blount was clearly clearly a Top 50 TALENT, Like there was little doubt about him as far as the NFL draft was concerned.

He went Undrafted for something that didn't hurt his team on the field. I'm not condoning sucker punching a trash talker after he turns his back, but the game was over the Ducks already lost.

Burfict is a head case that finally got benched in their bowl game, He probably would have been benched on most other teams because he cost his teams wins by being on the field.

I'm telling you most of the teams in the NFL especially the Buffalo Bills are not going to look at him at all. (period)

It would take a team like the Raiders to draft him. The Raiders don't pick until 5th so maybe Burfict is there for them.

I wouldn't be surprised is he has a sick combine and someone takes a chance on him. I also wouldn't be surprised if he goes Undrafted.

I will tell you with 100% accuracy he will not a Buffalo Bill in 2012.

I agree with you on both of these points.

Burfict was just awful this year, especially the second half, but something was wrong with him. I'd like to know what went on off the field, perhaps with the coaches. He just wasn't the same player. Granted, he took several stupid penalties, but half of the calls against him were nonsense. Which, also makes him twice as dumb, because he knew he was being targeted. But still. he would hit guys legally before they went out of bounds and get unnecessary roughness calls against him. Sometimes, however, he completely lost his head and went nuts. Really mercurial.

Ultimately he seemed so frustrated that he wasn't able to play the game and play his game that it all fell apart for him. He has more talent than almost anyone in the country. I wouldn't take him as a first round pick after the year he had, because you don't know where his head is at. But all high picks are crap shoots, and if he gets his head on straight, which is an unknowable, he could be a stud. He is a killer. I would seriously consider him with the second round pick because he is top five talent.

I will tell you with 100% accuracy he will not a Buffalo Bill in 2012.

I agree. IMO, any guy who screams in another player's face after teh game deserves to get punched. I guess he shouldn't have done it, but I won't have avoided drafting Blount for that reason.

Burfict is a complete different story because it just keeps happening. This is a guy screaming for counseling. But as Kelly said he drops into the 2nd or later, that kind of talent is hard to pass up. But spending a top 10 pick on him is probably the worse thing for him and the Bills.

He is a game changer in the sense that he will kill your team's chances with his hot head and constant Personal Fouls.

He was completely invisible this entire season, did not make one big play, and got benched in his bowl game.

Maybe in the 6th round?

This but not in any round.

He would only resemble Lewis if he covered up for a friend who committed homicide.

ouch nice :devil:

Looks intense. If he's a MLB game changer, you don't overlook him because of what you have. I will not B word at any pick in the front 7, no matter when and how often.

Never? (Maybin, Maybin, Flowers?)