Bills won't Franchise Johnson

For arguements sake, and those falsely saying that stevie is nothing more than a #2, Stevie is 1 of only 9 WRs to rack 1,000 yards in the past 2 seasons.

The others: Megatron, Fitzgerald, White, Wallace, Bowe, Nicks, Colston, and Marshall. Not too shabby.

It's not all that hard for SJ to get 1000 yards if you think about it.

SJ is the best WR that the Bills have.

SJ is a favorite target of Fitz.

Gailey abandoned the run at or before halftime in many many games and loved that 5-wide pistol thing.

FredEX went down, making Gailey even MORE pass happy.

Given these facts, if SJ did not get 1000 yards I would be surprised. If he was 100% healthy all season (and didn't get himself benched in one game) he might have hit 1500.

So if you can get past the 1000 yard thing, look at the rest. His childish behavior cost the team a few times. And he tends to make horrible, unforgivable drops in the potentially game changing plays. True number 1 WRs don't do either of these things.

Edited by CodeMonkey

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a good receiver worthy of good money. If he wants elite money for good play, he's gone and so what....Build the defense. You CAN win without a dominant WR, but you can't win with the JV defensive front 7 we have been riding the past 2-3 years. I think Stevie is saying the only way he stays is if the Bills overpay for him. If he wants to go, he'll go and he'll take his "good money" from someone else. He will not get 8 mil.

The Bills can't keep playing the treadmill game and think they're going to improve. Time after time they let their good players walk after their first contract and we wonder why this team consistently wins only 6 or 7 games a season.

Sure you don't "need" a dominant WR to win but the Bills have - at best - an average QB and if Johnson goes their WR corps is one of the worst in the league, if not the worst. A passing game IS essential in today's NFL to win. How do you propose the Bills effectively move the ball through the air with a horrid WR group and an average QB?

I like Fitz and think the Bils can win with him but they need to be very good everywhere else, including WR. Getting rid of Johnson moves the Bills in the wrong direction, they need to do everything in their power to retain him and STILL add a legit #2 on the other side.

In my opinion, SJ is a #2 WR in the NFL. And that has little to do with his adolescent antics and everything to do with his on field performance.

If he was 100% healthy all season (and didn't get himself benched in one game) he might have hit 1500.

So if you can get past the 1000 yard thing, look at the rest. His childish behavior cost the team a few times. And he tends to make horrible, unforgivable drops in the potentially game changing plays. True number 1 WRs don't do either of these things.

Maybe I just haven't had my coffee yet, but....huh?

Gailey abandoned the run at or before halftime in many many games and loved that 5-wide pistol thing.

Given these facts, if SJ did not get 1000 yards I would be surprised. If he was 100% healthy all season (and didn't get himself benched in one game) he might have hit 1500.

I'm sorry. I know stats don't tell the story, but crossing statistical milestones that NO RECEIVER IN THE BUFFALO BILLS 52 YEAR HISTORY EVER SURPASSED makes him a "true" number one.

Period.

If its not that difficult to go for 1000 yards receiving in consecutive years, why have only 9 WRs done it in the past 2 years?

If its not that difficult to go for 1000 yards receiving in consecutive years, why have only 9 WRs done it in the past 2 years?

I said it wasn't that difficult for him given the circumstances that I spelled out.

If a team is pass happy like the Bills have been under Gailey, the top receiver is bound to rack up a significant number of yards. I look at everything however, not just that one stat. And when I do, SJ does not stand out to me as an "elite" or #1 WR. You opinion may of course vary.

I'm sorry. I know stats don't tell the story, but crossing statistical milestones that NO RECEIVER IN THE BUFFALO BILLS 52 YEAR HISTORY EVER SURPASSED makes him a "true" number one.

Period.

It takes more than just that one stat for me is all I'm saying.

I said it wasn't that difficult for him given the circumstances that I spelled out.

If a team is pass happy like the Bills have been under Gailey, the top receiver is bound to rack up a significant number of yards. I look at everything however, not just that one stat. And when I do, SJ does not stand out to me as an "elite" or #1 WR. You opinion may of course vary.

Of course, but SJ is the best we have, our de facto #1. Letting him go and picking up someone to equal his production amounts to running in place.

We should pay SJ based on his production, which is the best the team has and at least in the conversation for Top 15 in the league. Then, we should still be looking for better players. I'd be ecstatic if another player comes to the Bills via draft or trade to make Stevie #2.

More than one stat for what? To convince you he's a number one receiver, or that he's historically one of the best receivers to ever play for Buffalo?

I'm sorry, but you CANNOT dispute the former. The latter, on the other hand, is high refutable, and I don't think ANYONE here is arguing that...yet.

Of course, but SJ is the best we have, our de facto #1. Letting him go and picking up someone to equal his production amounts to running in place.

We should pay SJ based on his production, which is the best the team has and at least in the conversation for Top 15 in the league. Then, we should still be looking for better players. I'd be ecstatic if another player comes to the Bills via draft or trade to make Stevie #2.

Can't argue with your general theme at all. Pay him what he is worth.

People can discount Stevie's back-to-back 1000 yard seasons as much as they want and many of them have.

To be honest, that's silly.

Wouldn't it be just as easy if not easier to construct reasons why the feat is even more impressive than if were done by another receiver on another team?

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

More than one stat for what? To convince you he's a number one receiver, or that he's historically one of the best receivers to ever play for Buffalo?

I'm sorry, but you CANNOT dispute the former. The latter, on the other hand, is high refutable, and I don't think ANYONE here is arguing that...yet.

I cannot dispute that he is a #1 WR?

Depends upon what you mean I guess. I agree completely that he is the best receiver on the Bills as of now. However I would not call any WR that chokes on the big plays, like he has done several times, or feels the need to promote how wonderful he is at the expense of his team, like he has done several times, a "true #1 WR" simply because of the one stat you reference (> 1000 yards in 2 consecutive seasons). As I have said, you obviously feel differently which is your right of course.

Make the effort to re-sign Stevie and put in clauses where he will be heavily fined for Celebration Penalties. That's it - end of discussion!

When the Bills have good-to-great players they cannot let them walk away. This is what they have done in the past and our yearly records speak for themselves.

Figuring we have 22 starters (11 offense, 11 defense) - how many "holes" do we need to fill? Add 1 more to that if Stevie walks

Adding 3, losing 2. Losing 2, adding 1. . . . when you do that you get what we got - a middle of the road team. It's time to get smart and keep the good football players - they need to look at a guy and ask themselves - Does he make us better? No one can answer NO to that question about Stevie. He's a keeper.

Then they need to look at each current player and prospective FA and Draft Choice and ask the same question - you upgrade EVERY position when you have the chance (you just don't get the chance to do that at each position each year - so when the opportunity arises (keeping players, FA's, the Draft) - you need to make the right decisions).

John Clayton is reporting that the Bills will sign SJ13; Which most assuredly means SJ won't sign.

http://wgr550.com/pa...ntentId=9709763

He is not reporting it, it is his opinion with zero reporting. Huge difference, He just thinks the team will resign him because it's logical, and he didnt seem to know anything about the actual negotiations except what he had heard from other people's alleged reports.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Textbook Buffalo Bills negotiating going on here. Remember that Chris Brown is a mouth-piece for OBD. We have seen this before with Jason Peters, Jabari Greer, Pat Williams, and others. The Bills start leaking demand figures to the press to make it seem like the player is greedy. Fans get on board with not over paying. Then the player winds up signing elsewhere for what seems like a "reasonable" amount.