The Entitlement Mentality

Greatest Generation this is not. And people are surprised about Occupy Wall Street?

http://georgiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1313543

Many colleges released new radical versions of their team uniforms this past season in yet another effort to lure prospects to their school.

Mike Davis was among the players unhappy with their assigned number at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

The actual number on the uniform may be a bigger selling point.

As the players made their way through the U.S. Army All-American Bowl registration process, all talked about how honored they were to be selected and how eager they were to see how they matched up with other stars.

The only complaint: The number they were assigned.

For some, it was a minor inconvenience.

"The number doesn't make the player, the player makes the number," Brian Kimbrow of Memphis (Tenn.) East said after being disappointed to get No. 31 instead of his usual No. 3.

Others were a bit more bothered.

Kevon Seymour of Pasadena (Calif.) Muir was annoyed he had No. 41 instead of his preferred No. 1. And Seymour willingly admits he'll look at the rosters of potential colleges to see if No. 1 is available. If it's not, the school's chances of landing him diminish.

One was visibly upset.

Mike Davis of Stone Mountain (Ga.) Stephenson made such a fuss about his assigned No. 16 that he was given a new number (14), making him the only player without his name on his jersey. But that didn't help - neither was the No. 28 he wanted.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greatest Generation this is not. And people are surprised about Occupy Wall Street?

http://georgiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1313543

Yeah, these kids are stupid to not go to their #1 school due to the fact they can't get the # they want. But it's a big jump from that to OWS. I can remember being pissed that I didn't get to be #26 when I was on the football team in HS. I had to take 21 and I hated that #. Seems stupid now but when you're a kid in love with a certain athlete that wears that # it somehow makes all the difference in the world.

Yeah, these kids are stupid to not go to their #1 school due to the fact they can't get the # they want. But it's a big jump from that to OWS.

Not a big jump at all-its the coming of age of an entire generation who nobodys has ever said "no" too.

Not a big jump at all-its the coming of age of an entire generation who nobodys has ever said "no" too.

I agree a little bit with this statement. But to take from personal experience, I grew up in the top 5%. My parents made good money and sent me to a private school and all that other crap. But they didn't hand me everything I wanted. I had to do the work study program to earn part of my tuition. (standing in the kitchen handing out food to the other kids while wearing a hair net. I'm sure you can figure out how that felt) My summers were spent painting classroom walls and waxing the floors. I was walking to school while the other kids were driving brand new cars their parents bought them. I didn't have a car until I cold afford one on my own. They really pushed me to know if I wanted something I really had to work for it.

If anything it gave me more of an entitlement mentality. I felt I deserved the # I wanted even more than the kids that didn't have to work to go to school there.

Amen to that. I asked my mom to get me a bike when I was a 10 yo kid (suffice it to say we had very little money) and I recall being shocked when she responded, "Yes." She quickly followed up, however, with....."when you raise half the money I'll pay the other half."

I remember it like it was five minutes ago. 9 months and a paper route later....I got the bike. Kids, and adults, in this country need to work!

I'm also thrilled to learn that 'student' athletes are choosing their institutions of higher learning based on the number the football team will assign them. :bag:

I gotta bring this up...need to vent.....another kid offed herself in NYC becuase she was "bullied." And of course, there is the hue and cry about how these "monsters" should be locked up for driving this girl to her death.

bull ****.

UNLESS these kids did something to terrible, so vile, I cant see how being "bullied" can drive one to kill yourself. You get made fun of on Facebook and your response is to jump in front of a bus? Or youre outed....in college....to about ten people and you pitch yourself off the GW Bridge?

Look....suicide is sno laughing matter and kids endure some serious ****. I get it. But I cannot help but think that if you are triggered to kill yourself becuase a few people "made fun of you" there may be deeper issues at play. And I FIRMLY think the root of a lot of those issues are how we coddle our children.

Edited by RkFast

I agree a little bit with this statement. But to take from personal experience, I grew up in the top 5%. My parents made good money and sent me to a private school and all that other crap. But they didn't hand me everything I wanted. I had to do the work study program to earn part of my tuition. (standing in the kitchen handing out food to the other kids while wearing a hair net. I'm sure you can figure out how that felt) My summers were spent painting classroom walls and waxing the floors. I was walking to school while the other kids were driving brand new cars their parents bought them. I didn't have a car until I cold afford one on my own. They really pushed me to know if I wanted something I really had to work for it.

If anything it gave me more of an entitlement mentality. I felt I deserved the # I wanted even more than the kids that didn't have to work to go to school there.

So you're a liberal weenie in spite of everything your parents did right. Good to see you were paying attention.

Handing out food while wearing a hair net?? Oh my god the horror you must have gone through. You poor baby.

Edited by Chef Jim

So you're a liberal weenie in spite of everything your parents did right. Good to see you were paying attention.

Handing out food while wearing a hair net?? Oh my god the horror you must have gone through. You poor baby.

More along the lines that I understand that I got a good start where others have not. Your not going to tell me that the fact I grew up in the upper middle class doesn't have anything to do with where I am in life now.

More along the lines that I understand that I got a good start where others have not. Your not going to tell me that the fact I grew up in the upper middle class doesn't have anything to do with where I am in life now.

That would mean more if we had any !@#$ing idea where in life you were now. For all we know, you're posting from the public library while taking a break from panhandling.

You went to private school?

You make the typical bleeding-heart liberal mistake of assuming everyone who succeeds does so exclusively because they grew up in an upper middle-class family, while once again looking at those with little education and either a crappy job or no job, and failing to differentiate between those unable to succeed and those unwilling. You treat them both equally and, unfortunately, those of us who live a successful life in spite of having grown up in a lower income household think people like you are part of the problem, not part of the solution. You may mean well, but you screw it up for those unable by never questioning the real status of those unwilling.

But hey...it's nothing another 99 weeks of unemployment and forgiven student loans can't help, right?

This is what my childhood was like. My dad told me that he wasn't gonna let me fall but he gonna push me. I'm thankful for that

So in other words you're still holding onto the white guilt they tried to push on everyone in college.

Oh, this is so stupid. So your argument is that government is spoiling everyone because we have Medicare?

How about in the past when the government gave whites an entailment to a better life and better things? We are way better off than we use to be.

Does anyone know what DIN is talking about? Does DIN even know what he's talking about? What the !@#$ are you talking about?

You make the typical bleeding-heart liberal mistake of assuming everyone who succeeds does so exclusively because they grew up in an upper middle-class family, while once again looking at those with little education and either a crappy job or no job, and failing to differentiate between those unable to succeed and those unwilling. You treat them both equally and, unfortunately, those of us who live a successful life in spite of having grown up in a lower income household think people like you are part of the problem, not part of the solution. You may mean well, but you screw it up for those unable by never questioning the real status of those unwilling.

But hey...it's nothing another 99 weeks of unemployment and forgiven student loans can't help, right?

At this point in time the extension of unemployment isn't a bad thing. Get rid of it if you really want to see the economy take a nose dive. I don't argue that people who work hard succeed and there are some who really don't care and are happy to take a check from the government. What I'm getting at with my argument is that no matter how hard I worked for my tuition for the school I still didn't get the # I wanted. Yeah, that's a stupid resentment now but it was important to me at the time.

Such is the attitude from those in OWS. There are some in the middle class and lower middle class who are saying "I worked my ass off, where's my piece of the pie?"

That would mean more if we had any !@#$ing idea where in life you were now. For all we know, you're posting from the public library while taking a break from panhandling.

You can only take my word for it. When I say successful I mean happy with where I am in life. Not rich but not poor. Happy to be working at a time when many are not.

So in other words you're still holding onto the white guilt they tried to push on everyone in college.

What are you talking about?

Entitlement is a form of resentment.

You really believe this?

Oh, this is so stupid. So your argument is that government is spoiling everyone because we have Medicare?

How about in the past when the government gave whites an entailment to a better life and better things? We are way better off than we use to be.

The government "sentenced" whites to a better life?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entailment