Screw The Defense In Round One

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been one of the guys preaching defense, but how coould you pass on Blackmon. If Jeffrey is as good, I find it hard to believe you could pass on either....unless a better pass rusher is available.

And how sucky is it that Indy gets Manning on a platter, then tanks to get Luck....It's like the Penguins getting Lemiuex, then Crosby.

alshon jeffry is gonna be good. he had no help this year. garcia was a mess and ended up getting kicked off the team half way thru the year and then spurrier went to almost a option run game. i like blackmon the same as alshon. think theyll both be really good

It'll be tough with SJ. They'll either sign him or let him walk. There will be no tag. A franchise tag will probably pay out $9Mil+ for that year. They dont want to pay him that NOW.. so theres no way they can pay him that with the tag and then offer him less the following year. Im not impressed with Jefferies (havnt seen him get much seperation) and havnt seen Floyd play enough to have opinion. I pray we go defense. Three other Wr's to consider though. Rutgers, Baylor, and Texas A&M have WR's comming out that can play.

I'm sure the Bills will go after a WR after letting Stevie walk. The wheel spinning continues.

This.

There is no coherent plan at OBD. All they do in the draft is patch up leaks.

Can we build a dominant unit or two? And THEN patch a hole or two when we are 1 or 2 players away from doing something serious.

Lets stop drafting every single year with a stupid goal to improve to 8-8. I'll settle for 2 more years of 6-10 if year 3 is 13-3 because of solid drafts with an actual plan.

Edited by maddenboy

I prefer Jeffrey. He is big and athletic. He doesn't need to seperate because he can just take the ball away. Blackmon isn't very big, and he acts immature.

I would prefer that the Bills go defense with their top pick, and instead get a hold of an "adequate" deep threat some other way. The defense needs some specialized talent. I wouldn't mind if they spent their 1st and 2nd picks on OLB's.

I could not have been further from this thought a few weeks ago but wow, after seeing some of the top NFL wideouts break games open and now these top college WRs today, I think they can ratchet up the O and go after D in rounds 2, 3 and FA.

That works if you are assuming Merriman and Kyle Williams are 100% ready to go next year at full speed. Are you ready to assume that? Didn't think so

After watching this Bowl game tonight I'd offer a Kings ransom to get Blackmon. This guy is going to be just like Megatron. He is a physical beast and just plucks the ball away from defenders. I'd give up a 1st this year and next to move up to get him.

He looks like a young Terrell Owens out there.

That's what he looks like in college football.

In the NFL Blackmon is not a physical over sized receiver.

He is the same exact size as Michael Crabtree who was a dominate College WR in his day and didn't have the unstoppable #1 WR skillset for the NFL.

CRABTREE AND BLACKMon are good and will be good in the NFL but I doubt they're headed to TO or Megatron's level.

Honestly if that happens I think it's a no-brainer...The Bills simply can't pass on a Kid like Jeffery...I like him better than Blackmon...And I like Blackmon a lot...A REAL lot... B-)

+1 - "a REAL lot"

I think Blackmon is the clear number 1 wideout. There will be some debate between Jeffrey and Michael Floyd (nd) as number two wr. I prefer to stroke the furry walls with alshon Jeffrey

Furry walls don't bring me down, Furry walls please stay around,

Blackmon looks like he may be a Ram after tonight's performance

That would be a great move for the Bills. A guy they shouldn't take at #10, off the board at #2.

I'm still not onboard with screwing the D in round 1 however I don't think Upshaw is a double digit sack master, so if Wanny is switching back to a 4-3 the pick has to be Coples, Undebateable in my mind.

If this hybrid mess is here to stay and or Coples, Kirkpatrick, and Mike Adams are off the board. Its furry wall time!

Edited by Why So Serious?

I could not have been further from this thought a few weeks ago but wow, after seeing some of the top NFL wideouts break games open and now these top college WRs today, I think they can ratchet up the O and go after D in rounds 2, 3 and FA.

I am all for picking up a #1 WR as long as it's not an excuse to let Stevie walk. We need 2-3 quality wideouts on this team and I think we have more like 1 1/2 plus a couple of dark horses.

I think we've forgotten how much the top wideouts do to make a QB look better

I prefer Jeffrey. He is big and athletic. He doesn't need to seperate because he can just take the ball away. Blackmon isn't very big, and he acts immature.

I would prefer that the Bills go defense with their top pick, and instead get a hold of an "adequate" deep threat some other way. The defense needs some specialized talent. I wouldn't mind if they spent their 1st and 2nd picks on OLB's.

Now that we don't need (another immature-acting WR). I think it's a mistake to count on a WR that can take the ball away in college, being able to do so in the NFL. NFL WR need both (separation and the ability to outplay defense for the ball)

We need at least two LB and possibly a RDE. As long as we build on the talent we already have and make good draft choices who contribute, I'm ok with "whatever".

If we draft a RB or a CB in the 1st round I will experience nausea

This.

There is no coherent plan at OBD. All they do in the draft is patch up leaks.

Can we build a dominant unit or two? And THEN patch a hole or two when we are 1 or 2 players away from doing something serious.

Lets stop drafting every single year with a stupid goal to improve to 8-8. I'll settle for 2 more years of 6-10 if year 3 is 13-3 because of solid drafts with an actual plan.

What is your idea of an actual plan?

Jeffery is the one I want but I ONLY want him if the Bills keep Stevie. If they let 13 walk AND draft his replacement, I give up...

This. We need SJ AND 1-2 more quality WR. We were counting on Easley last year, if we see anything from him at this point it will be an unexpected surprise.

The 2010 draft class just hasn't given us very much.

Sorry, I think that's an idiotic mistake. Chan has proven he can score points. The Bills need to reduce what they give up on D.

Chan's ability to score points has been in the same category as Fitz looking good: sporadic. We do need to improve on defense, but the offense also needs improvement.

The ppg average is misleading because it hides several piss-poor-performances where the O scored 7 points, or didn't even score a TD, with the high score of 3 blowout games (yes, we had 3 blowout games).

Blackmon looks like he may be a Ram after tonight's performance

This will not happen if the Rams draft at #2. There are too many teams hungry for the #2 slot. If the Rams want Blackmon, they will trade down with a team hungry for RGIII and take the extra picks they would get.

Sorry, I think that's an idiotic mistake. Chan has proven he can score points. The Bills need to reduce what they give up on D.

The Bills' O averaged 23.3 ppg this year vs. 17.7 last year. The D averaged 27.1 this year vs. 26.6 last year. If the D improves similarly to the O (giving up 5.6 less ppg or 21 ppg), this would've been a playoff team. FIX THE DEFENSE.

The Bills as a team gave up 27.1 points and scored 23.3. That doesn't solely track the offense and the defense. The Bills had six defensive touchdown and the McKelvin return. That's 49 points off the board for the offense, so knock off about three points of that offensive total: they ended up with barely over 20 points per game. Still an improvement, I suppose. The defense's 27.1 against should be moderated by the five touchdowns against on fumbles and pick-sixes. So that's more like 25 ppg against.

That works if you are assuming Merriman and Kyle Williams are 100% ready to go next year at full speed. Are you ready to assume that? Didn't think so

Merriman does not even exist on this team as far as I am concerned. As far as Williams, I have no doubt he will be 100%.

Jeffery has been sliding down, even to the 2nd on some boards. He made a big catch today but hasn't been overwhelming nor in the other games I've seen this year.

Wish his team mates DEs Taylor & Clowney were coming out, those kids are playmakers.

He's gonna shoot back up the boards at the combine IMO. He suffered from inconsistent QB play under Garcia, and then when Shaw came in, Lattimore went out which meant defenses were keying on Jeffery first and foremost as he was the only real weapon left. He's 6'5 230 and very physical, and I think when he cuts weight as athletes do precombine you will see more of the separation necessary.

Taylor should be coming out this year, along with Ingram on the D-line. Clowney will be a likely top 10 pick.....in the 2014 draft. Had a stud season for a true freshman, and a real pleasure to watch as a SC fan, that's for sure.

I think we need to see what happens before us....like others before me, I hope we take a WR to compliment Stevie, not replace him. If I had my choice of any WR, I'd take Floyd. The kid is big and a playmaker. Can't discount Blackmon's game, but Floyd's physical stature translate into a better NFL receiver.

If we do go defense, we need a pass rush, plain and simple.

I'm with the OP. Blackman or RG3 in round 1. This is a scoring league. Defense is vastly overrated, and Chan HAS NOT proven he can score the necessary amounts of points or adjust mid-game, perahps due to inadequate QB and WR's. Stevie is good, imagine him and Blackman. I think we can get Matthis in FA for 1-2 years and draft a DE in round 2-3. The best talent available this year is at the WR position. There is no dominant DE/OLB that will necessarily make a difference next year. Arthur Jones from Syr should be available in Rd. 2, along with Lindsay from Pitt.

Merriman does not even exist on this team as far as I am concerned. As far as Williams, I have no doubt he will be 100%.

Williams should be better than ever. The surgery was to remove a bone spur that was grinding on his ACL, causing quite a bit of pain. That is now gone. I think a healthy Williams is as good as taking a pass-rusher in round 1, not to mention an improved and not double teamed Dearus. That's why I'd take Blackmon. That kid was playing very sick last night w/ no practice all week and looked rediculous. That's the kind of player you want on your team. Intense WR's who want to win.

I think we need to see what happens before us....like others before me, I hope we take a WR to compliment Stevie, not replace him. If I had my choice of any WR, I'd take Floyd. The kid is big and a playmaker. Can't discount Blackmon's game, but Floyd's physical stature translate into a better NFL receiver.

If we do go defense, we need a pass rush, plain and simple.

Jeffery is tinge better physically than Floyd. Which can mean the difference in catching that jump ball and not catching that jump ball.

However the one probably positive for Floyd is that he is a Golden Domer, so he may have the brains to handle Chan's offense.

Although I know nothing of Jeffery's intellect he could be a national merit scholar for all I know. It's just the GameCocks are not known for their high academic standards.

On second though that DUI on campus of Notre Dame may knock down that intellect argument for Floyd.

Plus putting a known DUI artist in Buffalo is a bad move, if you draft him in Buffalo you have to require him to use a car service whenever leaving for evening entertainment.

Edited by Why So Serious?