Could Wannstedt Make a Play at Chan's Job in 2013?

I don't know...Mularkey really never impressed me at the time, but I remember being extremely disappointed when Marv and his "brain trust" hired Dick Jauron when there were a lot of good coaching prospects out there. In hindsight, it probably would have been wise to give MM another year at HC. Unfortunately, I think he knew it was a situation that was impossible to succeed in, given the fact that (aside from Marv) there really was no REAL GM. He wasn't with the team when they drafted JP Losman as "QB of the Future," and I don't think he was ever sold on the idea of him as QB which is why Kelly Holcomb played so much that year.

To this day I still believe that Marv hired Jauron in hopes he would fail so he could take over as HC again, once RW finally put that idea to bed, Marv retired.

Just think, after Marv was finished interviewing candidates he stated that Mike Sherman "knocked his socks off" in his interview. Again, l still think he by passed on Sherman because he thought Mike might just be too successful, and thus he will never see that bills HC job.

NFN, but to all those Wannstache lovers, If the guy was that great he would have had opportunities as a HC or even a DC in the NFL previous to his hiring as a "LB" coach, Ast HC. But then as Bills fans I suppose we should be happy anyone with NFL experience would want to come to the Buffalo Bills for a job.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To this day I still believe that Marv hired Jauron in hopes he would fail so he could take over as HC again, once RW finally put that idea to bed, Marv retired.

Just think, after Marv was finished interviewing candidates he stated that Mike Sherman "knocked his socks off" in his interview. Again, l still think he by passed on Sherman because he thought Mike might just be too successful, and thus he will never see that bills HC job.

NFN, but to all those Wannstache lovers, If the guy was that great he would have had opportunities as a HC or even a DC in the NFL previous to his hiring as a "LB" coach, Ast HC. But then as Bills fans I suppose we should be happy anyone with NFL experience would want to come to the Buffalo Bills for a job.

wannstadt isn't great at HC...he's a DC and he's an above average one at that. I'll take an above average guy rather than a below average guy. Who else would we bring in anyway?

Unless you are a back-stabbing duplicitous scumbag and get away with it, it's impossible to make a play for a Head Coach's job. All you can do is coach your defense as well as you can coach and hope you get credit for it. If your head coach does well, you likely cannot get his job. If your HC doesn't do so well, chances are you do not lobby behind closed doors to get the guy fired, you simply make it known that if the powers that be are going to make a change at the top, you would like that opportunity and think you can excel at it. That is not making a run at someone's job.

Ralph Wilson even liked Mularkey, but the man just walked away from a HCing job to take a coordinators job

remember some kids were giving his kids a hard time is school or something

Mularkey did use the "school" excuse but he didn't leave only to take a coordinator's job. He knew that with his strongest ally Tom Donahoe on the street, and having little confidence (and rightfully so) in the Bills administration, he decided to walk. There are ONLY 32 head coaching jobs in the NFL and literally hundreds of candidates. Think about how bad it must have been for him to walk away as head coach.

Interesting theory about Marv not hiring Sherman because he thought he'd be successful, though I don't know if I'd buy it. I was more under the impression that Levy's connection to Jauron while he coached Chicago. Also wouldn't a successful Sherman command a higher salary than a desperate Dick Jauron? Most said Levy was somewhat of a figurehead and that the braintrust of Littman, Overdorff and Brandon were pulling the strings.

wannstadt isn't great at HC...he's a DC and he's an above average one at that. I'll take an above average guy rather than a below average guy. Who else would we bring in anyway?

i don't understand this wanny worship. if he was so great as a defensive coordinator, why did he have to resort to taking an assistant head coach/linebackers coach position with the bills? and why does the bills defense still suck even though he's been on staff for a year?

Edited by Dirtbag

Mularkey did use the "school" excuse but he didn't leave only to take a coordinator's job. He knew that with his strongest ally Tom Donahoe on the street, and having little confidence (and rightfully so) in the Bills administration, he decided to walk. There are ONLY 32 head coaching jobs in the NFL and literally hundreds of candidates. Think about how bad it must have been for him to walk away as head coach.

Interesting theory about Marv not hiring Sherman because he thought he'd be successful, though I don't know if I'd buy it. I was more under the impression that Levy's connection to Jauron while he coached Chicago. Also wouldn't a successful Sherman command a higher salary than a desperate Dick Jauron? Most said Levy was somewhat of a figurehead and that the braintrust of Littman, Overdorff and Brandon were pulling the strings.

Mularkey was asked by the owner to fire a number of assistants. The owner also fired Tom Donahoe. The owner then hired Marv Levy to be his GM. Levy met with Mularkey and actually felt like they had reached an agreement and Mularkey would stay. Mularkey then turned around and resigned because as he put it the Bills organization wasn't being set up in a way that was conducive to him being successful. He was, in hindsight, perfectly correct. I suspect that the owner's inspired hiring of Levy and the apparent lame duck quacking swirling around Mularkey himself made it nearly impossible for MM to hire new qualified assistants, let alone assistants with better credentials than those he had fired on the request of the owner. MM saw the inbound cluster!@#$ for what it was.

An interesting theory, but I wouldn't give it any credence. Marv may have been a terrible GM, and he may have fancied a return to coaching, but if he were really that ambitious and sneaky, he likely would have interfered with Jauron a lot more than he ever did. By all accounts, Marv never had any problems with Jauron, and never made any waves for him.

I know it is a different sport, and different times...but if you are old enough to remember (maybe not) Scotty Bowman being promoted the GM position of the Sabres in the mid 80's, and hiring Jim Schoenfeld as "his" coach. It was clear to anyone who followed the Sabres at the time, Schoenfeld was fired just as soon as the GM was ready to coach again. Bowman never gave Schoenfeld the respect that a head coach should have, from his GM. Schoney lasted about half a season, and was fired when his team was .500. There was none of that with Marv. And, as bad as the GM position was served when Marv held it, I give him the ultimate respect for stepping down when he did, knowing that he was in over his head.

Ralph Wilson even liked Mularkey, but the man just walked away from a HCing job to take a coordinators job

remember some kids were giving his kids a hard time is school or something

I thought that was Donahoe's kids

i don't understand this wanny worship. if he was so great as a defensive coordinator, why did he have to resort to taking an assistant head coach/linebackers coach position with the bills? and why does the bills defense still suck even though he's been on staff for a year?

IIRC correctly he interviewed in cleveland and maybe somewhere else before coming back to work for his friend Chan

Unless you are a back-stabbing duplicitous scumbag and get away with it, it's impossible to make a play for a Head Coach's job. All you can do is coach your defense as well as you can coach and hope you get credit for it. If your head coach does well, you likely cannot get his job. If your HC doesn't do so well, chances are you do not lobby behind closed doors to get the guy fired, you simply make it known that if the powers that be are going to make a change at the top, you would like that opportunity and think you can excel at it. That is not making a run at someone's job.

Chan is OLD. I think that what Wannstadt hopes will happen is that he becomes DC, the team plays great for a couple seasons, and then Chan retires and he is given the HC job.

I can't believe no one else in this thread mentioned this. I think it is the most obvious and likely scenario (well, except for the "team plays great for a couple seasons" part!).

There's an interesting article from The Bleacher Report that suggests the possibility of Dave Wannstedt taking over Chan's job. Maybe a little far-fetched considering that the team's success will depend on each other, then again if Buffalo let's Stevie walk and Fitz plays like the QB on a 2-12 slide the second half of the season while Buffalo's defense improves, it's not out of the question:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1007552-dave-wannstedt-will-new-bills-dc-land-another-head-coaching-job-in-nfl

But he has had bright spots, including leading the Dolphins to back-to-back 11-5 seasons and Pittsburgh to a 10-3 record in 2009. He's also a strong defensive coach who would be a nice addition for a team in need of a defensive facelift.

In that sense, Wannstedt's best chance as head coach in the NFL now may actually be with the Bills.

If I was Gailey, I'd be looking over my shoulder.

As soon as they made the announcement that he was DC, I knew this thread was coming. Absolute nonsense.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wanny has been a horribble HC, I'd rather have Grego back.

Horrible coach ? he has three divison championships and was just about 20 games over 500 in mimai until things feel apart during the last year

winning in College football has little to do with coaching ability and much to do with recruiting

by the way teams he coached or d coached are usually top 10 in defense most years higher

He was out of work for about a week after he lost the panther job. He came to buffalo becasue he know chan and wanted to learn the league agian , he had been out for 6 years. We are lucky to have him

look at his track record. Teams he coached always excelled on the d side of the ball

I feel the only way Wannstedt becomes head coach in such a scenario is if the defense remarkably improves, and by remarkable, I mean one of the top 5 defenses next year, and the team still fails to get to the playoffs.

I like the idea of Wannstedt as DC. Not so much as HC. That being said, as we are talking about the Bills, anything is possible...but Wannestadt just always seemed befuddled as head coach. I remember the nationally syndicated FOX guy, Jorge Sedano, who was a based in Miami and a beat reporter for the Dolphins, would comment over and over how uncomfortable Wannestadt always seemed as the head man... He proved it in Chicago, Miami and Pittsburgh, he falls into the category of "great assistant, maybe not a great head coach"....think Wade Phillips.

Agreed. Keep Wanndstedt as DC. That Being said. He should have been made the DC this season, instead of LB coach. It always seems like the Bills are one step behind the Obvious.

Chan is OLD. I think that what Wannstadt hopes will happen is that he becomes DC, the team plays great for a couple seasons, and then Chan retires and he is given the HC job. I can't believe no one else in this thread mentioned this. I think it is the most obvious and likely scenario (well, except for the "team plays great for a couple seasons" part!).

I think you are joking, but, just in case: Chan Gailey born Jan. 5, 1952

Dave Wannestadt born May 21, 1952

There's an interesting article from The Bleacher Report that suggests the possibility of Dave Wannstedt taking over Chan's job. Maybe a little far-fetched considering that the team's success will depend on each other, then again if Buffalo let's Stevie walk and Fitz plays like the QB on a 2-12 slide the second half of the season while Buffalo's defense improves, it's not out of the question:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1007552-dave-wannstedt-will-new-bills-dc-land-another-head-coaching-job-in-nfl

But he has had bright spots, including leading the Dolphins to back-to-back 11-5 seasons and Pittsburgh to a 10-3 record in 2009. He's also a strong defensive coach who would be a nice addition for a team in need of a defensive facelift.

In that sense, Wannstedt's best chance as head coach in the NFL now may actually be with the Bills.

If I was Gailey, I'd be looking over my shoulder.

The whole "Gailey sucks, replace him" thing is getting old. Look at the coaches we have had since Phillips left (not a good HC anyway, same for Williams who is a decent DC, not HC), they have all been worse than Gailey IMO. He had this team looking pretty good when healthy, especially considering the dearth of talent on this team. They were even looking pretty good against the Pats until they benched Stevie...looks like they were playing for a draft spot...

Wanny, wasn't a great HC IMO...He certainly hasn't done our defense any good yet...Don't get me wrong, I love the move replacing Edwards with him...Let's just see if it means an improvement.

The only way he would even be considered for a HC spot, is if he can turn this Bills D into something respectable. If he did that, he would likely be making Gailey look good while doing it anyway.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Theres only 2 ways he gets the HC job in Buffalo

1. Ralph/Nix fires Chan during the season because the teams poor play, and they promote 'Stache to interim coach for the remainder of the seasons

OR

2. Chan retires and 'Stache has the defence looking good they decide to promote from within and give him the HC spot

Theres only 2 ways he gets the HC job in Buffalo

1. Ralph/Nix fires Chan during the season because the teams poor play, and they promote 'Stache to interim coach for the remainder of the seasons

OR

2. Chan retires and 'Stache has the defence looking good they decide to promote from within and give him the HC spot

Well said.