Why did they not run the ball more?

mc kid 78

When they had the lead they should have run the ball more. Chan has to protect fitz from himself,a lot of HC in the nfl have to do it.

Fitzpatricks best asset is his fearlessness,it also is his weakness, but thats why you can't let him put it up 45 times.

I still think fitz can beour guy,they just have to run a bit more.

Agree 100% Kid. For the life of me I can't figure out why Chan hates running the ball so much. After his OLine has shown it's a good run crew, after he has had 2 different backs put up +5 yard averages, after he had 2 backs if averaged out over a full season would have had over 2k yards from scrimage, after he had the nerve to say when he came here that he wanted to get this team back to a run orientated smash mouth football team, and then after the nerve of picking a RB 9th overall when you already had 2 1k rushers in your team it all doesn't make sense to me. I'm not saying I think Chan is a bad coach by any means but his decisions have been suspect at best. I'm very dissapointed and want to see him gone.

Listening to the announcers in pre game when they stated they talked with Chan gailey before the game. Gailey then stated he wanted to run the ball, wanted to eat up the clock and keep Brady on the sidelines

But then during the game Gailey just refuses to build a dominate ground attack at any point in the game. Even with a 21 point lead you would think he would want to just run the ball, keep Brady on the sidelines, keep his defense fresh and off the field, keep wearing down the opposing defense by running it on them. You would think the very last think you want to go 3 and out and give the ball to Brady. But instead we got to watch the constant empty backfield 4-5 WR sets even with the lead.

Then the full game benching of Stevie Johnson killed the offense in the second half, that plus Scott Chandler out with and injury.

My take is Chan believes Spiller is to frail to be an every down back and only wants to use him sparingly in the run game. Also, Spiller was used more in the passing game in the second half then he was used as a RB.

Me, I don't see things the same way, with a 21 point lead Spiller is getting 25-30 touches and Fitz 25-30 pass attempts. I'd run it till Spillers legs fell off !!! After all, there is no next game to worry about until next Sept

Edited by Fear the Beard

We can run because of all the passing we do, it's as simple as that. You want a good balance, and I would like them to run a LITTLE more. But he tried running in the second half and it wasn't working all that well, and then the floodgates opened. You can't run much when you get holding penalties and bad snaps and it's 20 yards to go for a first.

We can run because of all the passing we do, it's as simple as that. You want a good balance, and I would like them to run a LITTLE more. But he tried running in the second half and it wasn't working all that well, and then the floodgates opened. You can't run much when you get holding penalties and bad snaps and it's 20 yards to go for a first.

You can't run when you're throwing 4INT's in the second half either.

The Game plan made no sense again. Incidents aside. Even when we did

run since Fred got injured, CJ was never given the touches to get in a groove.

You can't run when you're throwing 4INT's in the second half either.

The Game plan made no sense again. Incidents aside. Even when we did

run since Fred got injured, CJ was never given the touches to get in a groove.

Personally, I think the game plan was perfect and was working perfect. Then when Stevie and Chandler went out, the team went to **** because they didn't have the weapons, combined with they started shooting themselves in the foot with the penalty and snap, combined with from the middle of the second quarter it became apparent that this defense was not going to be able to stop the Patriots at all. That is what stopped the run game, not a bad game plan.

Personally, I think the game plan was perfect and was working perfect. Then when Stevie and Chandler went out, the team went to **** because they didn't have the weapons, combined with they started shooting themselves in the foot with the penalty and snap, combined with from the middle of the second quarter it became apparent that this defense was not going to be able to stop the Patriots at all. That is what stopped the run game, not a bad game plan.

If hats all true then you have to lay blame on Chan for benching Stevie the entire game. Or not having a backup plan if his original gameplan fell apart. Or for not adjusting at halftime. They still had the lead at the half and at that point Chan knew that Stevie wasn't coming back and neither was Chandler. Just saying. The blame falls on Chan for all these things.

If hats all true then you have to lay blame on Chan for benching Stevie the entire game. Or not having a backup plan if his original gameplan fell apart. Or for not adjusting at halftime. They still had the lead at the half and at that point Chan knew that Stevie wasn't coming back and neither was Chandler. Just saying. The blame falls on Chan for all these things.

This may all be true. I am not making excuses for Chan (who is not the only coach accused of getting pass-happy---I live in Philly and this is a steady complaint about Andy Reid), but consider, if Spiller catches that very catchable pass at the 15 rather than let it pop up for an INT early in the 4th quarter, the Bills probably go in to tie the game. That is not the game plan, but dumb luck.

ya were a physical line up and run it at them offense- no were not. Hell we move the ball, we still scored 21 our defense is terrible period.

If you look at the stats over the season, Yes they were!

The Bills stopped scoring after the first QTR, it wasn't that worst defense in the NFL that NE has that stopped them either, it was their own play calling.

Gailey states he passes to set up the run, then doesn't run ....how brilliant :lol:

This may all be true. I am not making excuses for Chan (who is not the only coach accused of getting pass-happy---I live in Philly and this is a steady complaint about Andy Reid), but consider, if Spiller catches that very catchable pass at the 15 rather than let it pop up for an INT early in the 4th quarter, the Bills probably go in to tie the game. That is not the game plan, but dumb luck.

I agree. I'm just saying that if you ran instead of passed there it wouldn't have been a pick. Obviously you can't get rid of passing alltigether but yiu can cut down in interceptions, 3 and outs, and giving the ball right back to the opposing team after not taking any time off the clock. It's the exact reason why Marv was outcoached in Super Bowl 25. Keep the ball out of Kellys hands and our offense off the field.