Do you feel the Bills are heading in the right direction?

southernbill

The fact that they run the ball only 24.7 times per game (27th in the NFL) shows that they don't run the ball often enough.

You also need to take into account the fact that Bills do not lead in the 4th quarter often to rush more to run out of clock.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being way freaking behind a lot tends to limit your ability to rack up any carries in the 2nd half of games, which is also why carries/game and win/loss tend to be correlated, though the causality is not bi-directional.

If you watch all the games, I think it's pretty obvious that Gailey dials up way too many pass plays.

This includes when the Bills are ahead, within a few points either way, or moderately behind with plenty of time left in the game.

Also, you can only run so many draw plays out of a one-back formation.

He makes the defenses job way too easy with his over reliance on one-back and empty sets.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I'd be more interested in both stats over the last few weeks - I suspect the YPC is down a lot - but had a long way to fall from the earlier lofty heights.

I don't know Bob. The team yards per carry might have gone down a bit.

Spiller averages 5.3 yards per carry this year.

Freddy was averaging 5.5 yards per carry.

But the Bills have had no problems running the ball in recent weeks… when they've attempted to.

In 2009, the Bills were number 30 in Offense. This year we're number 14. If we could get similar improvement on Defense, then yes we would be (moving in the right direction). Until then, maybe not.

The Bills offense scored 14.2 points / game during the 7 game losing streak.

This analysis last season has an interesting read: link. And look at the two graphs: "Wins by passing efficiency" and "Wins by rushing efficiency".

Unfortunately, this analysis doesn't take away the rushes to run out of clock to get a even better picture.

Thanks for the link.

I seriously doubt the Bills would have gone on that 0-7 skid had they been running the ball more often.

Personally I feel we are. This season is a let down after such a great start, but we had a lot of injuries this year, more than most teams deal with in 2 years. I'm encouraged with improvement. If Jackson and Johnson are both back next year and we draft well this year, I think we will see a very competitive team take the field next year. And if not, well that's why you drink beer before and during the game.

No. I can't drink enough beer to deal with this, so I resort to whiskey. I get the same effect with less effort.

To me, there seems to be more questions than answers at this time. The record, 6-9 at this time, doesn't indicate that much of an improvement over last year. Yes I know all about the injuries. But there's many uncertainties, I see, going forward.

What calibre of player acquistions will be made in the off-season, both FA & the draft?

Who will we keep on our roster during the off-season & who will be let go? That includes the DC.

What positions will we address in the, say, first 3 rounds of the draft?

Chan once said that "football is a tough game played by tough people". Yet why won't we "ground & pound" the ball more instead of relying so much on a finess offense?

Are we finally going to change the "culture of losing" next year or is it going to be more of the same from the last 12 years?

On the other hand, I've seen some good things since Chan/Nix:

Last April's draft I think was a good one.

We have an offense that's for the most part, fun to watch. (I don't think that's a contradiction from the above statement.)

I'm confident Fitz will improve.

Looking forward to the K. Williams/Darius tandem next year.

That's just a few things, for what its worth.

In some ways, yes.

In other ways, no.

Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey have been a mixed bag.

There are some things they have done right. There are a lot of mistakes they have made.

The 2012 offseason will be key. Can they admit and correct their mistakes? Or will they make new ones?

For example:

>> Hiring George Edwards as defensive coordinator was a horrible mistake. Will he be fired, or will Nix/Gailey stick with him? If he is canned, who will be his replacement?

>> Switching to the 3-4/Hybrid was stupid. The Bills best players (Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus) are best suited for the 4-3. Player talent should dictate the system - not the other way around. Do the Bills maximize their defensive talent, or do they keep trying to play people out of position?

>> The 2010 draft looks like it will be a complete bust. There is a chance that we don't get a single long-term starter from that group. The 2011 draft was much better. Dareus should be a great one. Williams and Sheppherd should be good starters. Hairston and Searcy could start and should be good depth. Which one will 2012 look like?

>> This team has a tendancy to create holes instead of filling them. Will they re-sign Steve Johnson? Or will he be the latest veteran groomed and dumped by the Bills front office.

so why do we constantly throw bombs on 3rd and 1? oh yea and open games with 3 straight passes for a quick 3 and out???

I seem to recall an aggressive long pass on first down led to the winning FG against the Patriots. It's only dumb when it doesn't work.

PTR

It's going to sound weak, but seriously right now, it's too early to tell. We will need to see how the offseason goes. If they're another lame dick, um duck, in the offseason between no FA signings worth any real value, ala Nick Barnett, and poor drafting then NO!!! This team needs an infusion of talent and sorry, whether it actually be his fault or not, Edwards needs to go. Even if it is a token move to demonstrate accountability is in force at OBD, Edwards needs to be fired or asked to resign quietly to "pursue other career opportunities", but it NEEDS to get done. Then, at this point next season, if we're in the same place with another full offseason, no labor issues to hold us up and no excuses to pin on anyone, if we're in the same spot or even virtually eliminated from the playoffs then another set of changes needs to occur. That being said, if this offseason proves to be positive along with the past couple of drafts and FA signings being good as evidenced by good play on the field and a winning record with the BILLS sniffing (or actually IN the playoffs) the playoffs this time next year, then we can all ride out whatever happens next.....but right now, just a little too soon, although we have a better idea as of today what needs to happen than we were at this point last year.....some good things happened this year, but A LOT MORE needs to change in order for this team to be a serious team in the playoffs....

I would say we have some nice pieces for sure. Love FJ,SJ,CJ,Dareus, Nelson, Barnett, Sheppard, All of the secondary (including McKelvin).

Mr Fitzpatrick unfortunately has the ability to ruin all of this.......Prove me wrong Fitz...I have seen a few good moments but a ton of bad ones...

So I would have to say except for the QB issue we are headed in the right direction.....A play for Kyle Orton or some other average veteran is the move until we can draft or find a good one....Fitz I love ya man....but I just do not see the starting qb tag on ya....

Compared to prior years, yes. But it is not the rate you'd hope for for a team heading into it's third offseason with a GM/coach combo.

I think most people will agree that last year's draft was much better than 2010. We rung the bell with Dareus, Williams looks to be an asset that can only get better with age. Sheppard has shown flashes. They may have also found a solid, starting caliber LT in Hairston.

But that being said, I'm still not sure that this team is one more good draft away from a playoff spot. They need at least 2 more legitimate pass rushers, (regardless of what scheme they're in next year). For the 15th (16th?) season in a row, we still have a QB question. We need to resign Stevie and we could definitely use a #2 WR (preferably a slot receiver). Some more depth at CB and in the run defense.

I just don't know whether Nix can fill all these holes through his draft only philosophy.

Edited by bills1960

Personally I feel we are. This season is a let down after such a great start, but we had a lot of injuries this year, more than most teams deal with in 2 years. I'm encouraged with improvement. If Jackson and Johnson are both back next year and we draft well this year, I think we will see a very competitive team take the field next year. And if not, well that's why you drink beer before and during the game.

No and we never will with our Owner. The entire front office and coaching staff needs to go. We need replacements at nearly all our starting positions. We need new ownership before this thing turns around

This seems to fit my feelings: http://tinyurl.com/ctualjf (no Pan, I promise)

I'm honestly unsure.

And it feels right this time

On his crash course with the big time

Pay no mind to the distant thunder

New Day fills his head with wonder, boy

Says it feels right this time

Turned it 'round and found the right line

“Good day to be alive, sir

Good day to be alive,” he says

Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel

Was just a freight train coming your way

Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel