The Offseason

Dr. Trooth

Based on the Bills track record and their "cash to cap" directive, don't expect the Bills to sign any significant free agents in the off season.

1) I think the majority of us can agree, Merriman & McGee are finished, an their release should free up about $11M cap bucks. That alone ought to be enough to extend Fred a year or two and give Steve Johnson about $7M.

2) FREE AGENCY. I would expect the Bills will bring in one healthy, experienced OLB (of the backup variety) and a mid level wr with the ability to stretch the D. In fairness to Batten, it was essentially his rookie season without any offseason tutoring. Same with Moats, his second season, and no offseason tutoring.

3) DRAFT. Bills need a "plug and play" guy that can immendiately step right in from day one and make an impact, as Marcel Dareus did. The one thing the Bills can least afford to do in the first round is draft a project or someone who projects to a specific role or position based on potential or one hell of an impressive workout rather than the players body of work (I think we all know where I'm going with that statement). With the Bills drafting 7-12 depending on what happens this week, I think this pick is a no brainer, Courtney Upshaw. May not be the next Cornelius Bennett (or maybe he will be), but he is clearly the most NFL ready player that can step right in to a a 3-4 OLB role and make a difference immediately. After the first round they need a true NT in the 340lb. range (no way is Dareus 340 lbs. as listed). Torell Troup hasn't shown any ability to play at a high level or stay healthy and Kyle Williams can't hold up at NT for a full season (move to DE or inside in 4 lineman situtions?). The two NTs I have on my radar are Alameda Ta'amu and Kwame Geathers, both in the 350 lb. range. One or the other should be available when the Bills pick in round 2. After that, yes, the Bills need a solid corner or two. With McGee done and McKelvin on the bubble, the Bills need depth. After that, wr, tackle, safety, TE. I'd say a developmental QB, but that's a reach after round 2. Fitz ain't the answer, but he can hold down the fort for a couple years. Maybe next year the Bills will be in a position to grab a QB in the first round... not this year... big holes on defense.

4) We know Edwards is done as the DC. But here is where we need to be really careful. A lot of fans think that Wanny will take over. It could happen, but if it does, it signals two things... 1) Buddy has lost control because he's a 3-4 proponent, 2) Wanny only knows the 4-3 and the Bils only have a single DE on their roster (Kelsay) that can immediately function in the 4-3. All other DL on the Bills are 3-4 ends or 4-3 tackles. And, you have zero OLBs that can run in a 4-3. Folks need to take a look at Wanny's body of work and see that he was only effective when Jimmy Johnson propped him up. It was Jimmy's defense in Dallas and it was Jimmy's personnel that Wanny took over in Miami. He flopped on his own in Chicago and at Pitt and quit in Miami when he realized he was in over his head. I'm OK if the Bills keep Wanny as Asst. HC, but the Bills really need to bring in an experienced 3-4 coach... perhaps Mangini, Nolan, Pees, or similar.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the Bills track record and their "cash to cap" directive, don't expect the Bills to sign any significant free agents in the off season.

1) I think the majority of us can agree, Merriman & McGee are finished, an their release should free up about $11M cap bucks. That alone ought to be enough to extend Fred a year or two and give Steve Johnson about $7M.

2) FREE AGENCY. I would expect the Bills will bring in one healthy, experienced OLB (of the backup variety) and a mid level wr with the ability to stretch the D. In fairness to Batten, it was essentially his rookie season without any offseason tutoring. Same with Moats, his second season, and no offseason tutoring.

3) DRAFT. Bills need a "plug and play" guy that can immendiately step right in from day one and make an impact, as Marcel Dareus did. The one thing the Bills can least afford to do in the first round is draft a project or someone who projects to a specific role or position based on potential or one hell of an impressive workout rather than the players body of work (I think we all know where I'm going with that statement). With the Bills drafting 7-12 depending on what happens this week, I think this pick is a no brainer, Courtney Upshaw. May not be the next Cornelius Bennett (or maybe he will be), but he is clearly the most NFL ready player that can step right in to a a 3-4 OLB role and make a difference immediately. After the first round they need a true NT in the 340lb. range (no way is Dareus 340 lbs. as listed). Torell Troup hasn't shown any ability to play at a high level or stay healthy and Kyle Williams can't hold up at NT for a full season (move to DE or inside in 4 lineman situtions?). The two NTs I have on my radar are Alameda Ta'amu and Kwame Geathers, both in the 350 lb. range. One or the other should be available when the Bills pick in round 2. After that, yes, the Bills need a solid corner or two. With McGee done and McKelvin on the bubble, the Bills need depth. After that, wr, tackle, safety, TE. I'd say a developmental QB, but that's a reach after round 2. Fitz ain't the answer, but he can hold down the fort for a couple years. Maybe next year the Bills will be in a position to grab a QB in the first round... not this year... big holes on defense.

4) We know Edwards is done as the DC. But here is where we need to be really careful. A lot of fans think that Wanny will take over. It could happen, but if it does, it signals two things... 1) Buddy has lost control because he's a 3-4 proponent, 2) Wanny only knows the 4-3 and the Bils only have a single DE on their roster (Kelsay) that can immediately function in the 4-3. All other DL on the Bills are 3-4 ends or 4-3 tackles. And, you have zero OLBs that can run in a 4-3. Folks need to take a look at Wanny's body of work and see that he was only effective when Jimmy Johnson propped him up. It was Jimmy's defense in Dallas and it was Jimmy's personnel that Wanny took over in Miami. He flopped on his own in Chicago and at Pitt and quit in Miami when he realized he was in over his head. I'm OK if the Bills keep Wanny as Asst. HC, but the Bills really need to bring in an experienced 3-4 coach... perhaps Mangini, Nolan, Pees, or similar.

Oh really, Fairy Godmother? Name a single decent OLB or speedy WR who will be desperate enough to come to Buffalo when he hits free agency. What speedy WR wants to extend his career by having Fitz throwing to him downfield about once every other game? What decent OLB wants to have his edge set by Spencer Johnson?

Yes, I am stating the reality that Buffalo is an unattractive destination for free agents.

As to your draft analysis, I can agree with the first round. And maybe the second round NT that you want (but I prefer another linebacker), but after that, I think you should draft OT higher than WR. 5th round wrs are better than 4th round OTs. And for sure, this team has needs other than Safety. Hell, we need RB more than safety, and LINEBACKER more than anything on planet Earth.

Edited by maddenboy

You can agreee with yourself all you want but Merriman is nowhere near done.

There are people on this board that STILL, I mean STILL don't think Merriman is done?

Seriously?

Based on what!

:huh:

There are people on this board that STILL, I mean STILL don't think Merriman is done?

Seriously?

Based on what!

:huh:

Same people that don't want to admit that Merriman's best seasons were juice enhanced. Same people who saw him get one sack in the preseason, and then proclaimed that the OLB problems are solved.

What can we expect?

- Calls to fire coaches

- Calls to cut players

- Calls to trade up

- Calls to trade down

- Arguments over whether to draft a QB

- Arguments over actually players selected

- Cries of "Ralph is cheap!" when we don't sign sexy free agent

- Head scratching over free agents that are signed

- Cries of "Ralph is cheap!" when #1 pick does not sign immediately

- Declaring said players as busts after first OTA

- Cautious optimism

- Unbridled pessimism

- Start mocks of 2013 draft

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

What can we expect?

- Calls to fire coaches

- Calls to cut players

- Calls to trade up

- Calls to trade down

- Cautious optimism

- unbridled pessimism

PTR

You forgot...

Posters who endlessly complain about posting habits of others. :rolleyes:

What can we expect?

- Calls to fire coaches

- Calls to cut players

- Calls to trade up

- Calls to trade down

- Cries of "Ralph is cheap!" when we don't sign sexy free agent

- Head scratching over free agents that are signed

- Cautious optimism

- unbridled pessimism

PTR

-

As one of the un-official official Bills apologists on the board, I'm guessing you had them winning 10 games and going to the playoffs.

As long as this team keeps rolling out stiffs like Kelsay, Mcgee and Merriman, the Bills are going nowhere.

Kelsay, not a stiff.

Don't know how McGee was suddenly inserted into a Merriman discussion.

Bills have nothing to lose by keeping Merriman, everything to lose by letting another guy in his 20's walk.

You can agreee with yourself all you want but Merriman is nowhere near done.

I respect your opinion, and admire your optimisim, because he would be a good addition to our team even at 80% of his old self. My position with Merriman hasn't changed, though: I believe he is one of the players whose body isn't built naturally strong enough, or tough enough (some guys go their whole careers without ever being really damaged) to withstand the NFL for long, so he leans on stuff like HGH - and since the crackdown HE HAS BEEN FINISHED.

Is it a coincidence only - I can't help but ask - that ever since he's been watched for that stuff he can't stay healthy, while before then he was so good? And, what makes it even more obvious, the only offseason where he could've done the stuff and not been watched, he comes back strong for a few games - time enough to let the stuffs effect wear off - and then he goes back to being prone to injury.

Now, I'll be glad if he proves me wrong. But, if I'm the Bills, there is no way I don't go after his replacements twofold until he proves me wrong, and if he ever does - then you can never have too many LB's in a 3-4.

Kelsay, not a stiff.

Don't know how McGee was suddenly inserted into a Merriman discussion.

Bills have nothing to lose by keeping Merriman, everything to lose by letting another guy in his 20's walk.

Disagree on Kelsay then.

Original poster said McGee gone, I agree.

Bills project guys to be starters who can't make through a season, that hurts IMO.

Guys like Kelsay, McGee and Merriman are what's wrong with this team, IMO. You can't win with them.