- Start mocks of 2013 draft

PTR

ralph has been and is still, cheap.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the Bills track record and their "cash to cap" directive, don't expect the Bills to sign any significant free agents in the off season.

1) I think the majority of us can agree, Merriman & McGee are finished, an their release should free up about $11M cap bucks. That alone ought to be enough to extend Fred a year or two and give Steve Johnson about $7M.

2) FREE AGENCY. I would expect the Bills will bring in one healthy, experienced OLB (of the backup variety) and a mid level wr with the ability to stretch the D. In fairness to Batten, it was essentially his rookie season without any offseason tutoring. Same with Moats, his second season, and no offseason tutoring.

3) DRAFT. Bills need a "plug and play" guy that can immendiately step right in from day one and make an impact, as Marcel Dareus did. The one thing the Bills can least afford to do in the first round is draft a project or someone who projects to a specific role or position based on potential or one hell of an impressive workout rather than the players body of work (I think we all know where I'm going with that statement). With the Bills drafting 7-12 depending on what happens this week, I think this pick is a no brainer, Courtney Upshaw. May not be the next Cornelius Bennett (or maybe he will be), but he is clearly the most NFL ready player that can step right in to a a 3-4 OLB role and make a difference immediately. After the first round they need a true NT in the 340lb. range (no way is Dareus 340 lbs. as listed). Torell Troup hasn't shown any ability to play at a high level or stay healthy and Kyle Williams can't hold up at NT for a full season (move to DE or inside in 4 lineman situtions?). The two NTs I have on my radar are Alameda Ta'amu and Kwame Geathers, both in the 350 lb. range. One or the other should be available when the Bills pick in round 2. After that, yes, the Bills need a solid corner or two. With McGee done and McKelvin on the bubble, the Bills need depth. After that, wr, tackle, safety, TE. I'd say a developmental QB, but that's a reach after round 2. Fitz ain't the answer, but he can hold down the fort for a couple years. Maybe next year the Bills will be in a position to grab a QB in the first round... not this year... big holes on defense.

4) We know Edwards is done as the DC. But here is where we need to be really careful. A lot of fans think that Wanny will take over. It could happen, but if it does, it signals two things... 1) Buddy has lost control because he's a 3-4 proponent, 2) Wanny only knows the 4-3 and the Bils only have a single DE on their roster (Kelsay) that can immediately function in the 4-3. All other DL on the Bills are 3-4 ends or 4-3 tackles. And, you have zero OLBs that can run in a 4-3. Folks need to take a look at Wanny's body of work and see that he was only effective when Jimmy Johnson propped him up. It was Jimmy's defense in Dallas and it was Jimmy's personnel that Wanny took over in Miami. He flopped on his own in Chicago and at Pitt and quit in Miami when he realized he was in over his head. I'm OK if the Bills keep Wanny as Asst. HC, but the Bills really need to bring in an experienced 3-4 coach... perhaps Mangini, Nolan, Pees, or similar.

We should also consider the cap $$ freed up when Andra Davis' and Reggie Torbor's contracts are done. The same could be said for Roscoe Parrish, but there may be a possibly of him signing a veteran's minimum contract.

I think that more important than a WR's speed is his ability to get open on short or medium routes and make yards after the catch, at least in our offense. Fitz does not have Jim Kelly's arm strength, as we all know, and the last thing we need is a speed burner who can only do deep routes (unless, of course, Baltimore wants to trade for him in the future).

We all know that Nix does not like to make big splashes in FA. When he does, though, it seems to me that he doesn't target specific positions nad just brings in players. Who we sign or don't sign then influences who we draft. If we sign a veteran FA OLB, do we go after Upshaw?

Based on the Bills track record and their "cash to cap" directive, don't expect the Bills to sign any significant free agents in the off season.

1) I think the majority of us can agree, Merriman & McGee are finished, an their release should free up about $11M cap bucks. That alone ought to be enough to extend Fred a year or two and give Steve Johnson about $7M.

2) FREE AGENCY. I would expect the Bills will bring in one healthy, experienced OLB (of the backup variety) and a mid level wr with the ability to stretch the D. In fairness to Batten, it was essentially his rookie season without any offseason tutoring. Same with Moats, his second season, and no offseason tutoring.

3) DRAFT. Bills need a "plug and play" guy that can immendiately step right in from day one and make an impact, as Marcel Dareus did. The one thing the Bills can least afford to do in the first round is draft a project or someone who projects to a specific role or position based on potential or one hell of an impressive workout rather than the players body of work (I think we all know where I'm going with that statement). With the Bills drafting 7-12 depending on what happens this week, I think this pick is a no brainer, Courtney Upshaw. May not be the next Cornelius Bennett (or maybe he will be), but he is clearly the most NFL ready player that can step right in to a a 3-4 OLB role and make a difference immediately. After the first round they need a true NT in the 340lb. range (no way is Dareus 340 lbs. as listed). Torell Troup hasn't shown any ability to play at a high level or stay healthy and Kyle Williams can't hold up at NT for a full season (move to DE or inside in 4 lineman situtions?). The two NTs I have on my radar are Alameda Ta'amu and Kwame Geathers, both in the 350 lb. range. One or the other should be available when the Bills pick in round 2. After that, yes, the Bills need a solid corner or two. With McGee done and McKelvin on the bubble, the Bills need depth. After that, wr, tackle, safety, TE. I'd say a developmental QB, but that's a reach after round 2. Fitz ain't the answer, but he can hold down the fort for a couple years. Maybe next year the Bills will be in a position to grab a QB in the first round... not this year... big holes on defense.

4) We know Edwards is done as the DC. But here is where we need to be really careful. A lot of fans think that Wanny will take over. It could happen, but if it does, it signals two things... 1) Buddy has lost control because he's a 3-4 proponent, 2) Wanny only knows the 4-3 and the Bils only have a single DE on their roster (Kelsay) that can immediately function in the 4-3. All other DL on the Bills are 3-4 ends or 4-3 tackles. And, you have zero OLBs that can run in a 4-3. Folks need to take a look at Wanny's body of work and see that he was only effective when Jimmy Johnson propped him up. It was Jimmy's defense in Dallas and it was Jimmy's personnel that Wanny took over in Miami. He flopped on his own in Chicago and at Pitt and quit in Miami when he realized he was in over his head. I'm OK if the Bills keep Wanny as Asst. HC, but the Bills really need to bring in an experienced 3-4 coach... perhaps Mangini, Nolan, Pees, or similar.

Merriman will get a look because he is under contract already.

I concur that McGee looks like he has had it.

Not sure Roscoe Parish will be retained.

Freddy needs another contract. He is our player on offense and deserves to be paid for it.

Stevie should be retained for #2 money.

Demitrius Bell should be offered a good, not great, contract. We should make an effort to retain him despite the injuries in his past.

Top needs are:

1 - Pass rush - they need to address this in the draft and in free agency. OLB and DE are areas to improve no matter what defense we are playing. If we can get a few better players we can improve the interior by shiting Dareus inside to play with Kyle.

2 - Speed at WR - We have very little speed here. Easley is on the bubble and unproven. I can see us spending a premium draft pick here. We can use some veteran free agent help too.

3 - LT - If Bell leaves we need to bring in some reinforcements. Hairston is only the LT left. If Bell stays we still draft a decent prospect.

4 - TE - Chandler is good but I would love to have one of those super athlete TEs that everyone seems to be finding. They are not easy to get and Buffalo has a track record of failure when drafting TEs.

As always we will bring in some decent DBs prospects to push the incumbants.

QB of the future? I see us sitting pat for another year due to Fitz's contract and the committment they made. That said, if there is a guy they covet there in the first round they could make a move?

Edited by Bob in STL

What can we expect?

- Calls to fire coaches

- Calls to cut players

- Calls to trade up

- Calls to trade down

- Arguments over whether to draft a QB

- Arguments over actually players selected

- Cries of "Ralph is cheap!" when we don't sign sexy free agent

- Head scratching over free agents that are signed

- Cries of "Ralph is cheap!" when #1 pick does not sign immediately

- Declaring said players as busts after first OTA

- Cautious optimism

- Unbridled pessimism

- Start mocks of 2013 draft

PTR

You forgot:

Unbridled optimism

Cautious pessimism

Disagree on Kelsay then.

Original poster said McGee gone, I agree.

Bills project guys to be starters who can't make through a season, that hurts IMO.

Guys like Kelsay, McGee and Merriman are what's wrong with this team, IMO. You can't win with them.

I think everyone from Nix to the water boy, to you, to me thinks McGee has played his last downs with The Bills.

Ergo, inserting him into statements like your third one cheapens your point, especially when the remaining half of your argument relies on the highly disputable "Kelsay sucks."

Now, would you like to discuss the actual pros and cons of keeping Merriman, or do you prefer to make self-serving extractions that exist only to support your assertion that the FO is inept, a point that is tangential, at best.

Oh really, Fairy Godmother? Name a single decent OLB or speedy WR who will be desperate enough to come to Buffalo when he hits free agency. What speedy WR wants to extend his career by having Fitz throwing to him downfield about once every other game? What decent OLB wants to have his edge set by Spencer Johnson?

Yes, I am stating the reality that Buffalo is an unattractive destination for free agents.

As to your draft analysis, I can agree with the first round. And maybe the second round NT that you want (but I prefer another linebacker), but after that, I think you should draft OT higher than WR. 5th round wrs are better than 4th round OTs. And for sure, this team has needs other than Safety. Hell, we need RB more than safety, and LINEBACKER more than anything on planet Earth.

What decent OLB wants to have his edge set by Spencer Johnson?

Spence is actually not bad on the line, the problem is you've been seeing him play as an OLB. He's too big and slow to be an OLB, but because of injuries we played him and Carrington out there. spence can play a 3-4 DE well enough, not OLB though.

5th round wrs are better than 4th round OTs.

What?!?!?!

Merriman will get a look because he is under contract already.

I concur that McGee looks like he has had it.

Not sure Roscoe Parish will be retained.

Freddy needs another contract. He is our player on offense and deserves to be paid for it.

Stevie should be retained for #2 money.

Demitrius Bell should be offered a good, not great, contract. We should make an effort to retain him despite the injuries in his past.

Top needs are:

1 - Pass rush - they need to address this in the draft and in free agency. OLB and DE are areas to improve no matter what defense we are playing. If we can get a few better players we can improve the interior by shiting Dareus inside to play with Kyle.

2 - Speed at WR - We have very little speed here. Easley is on the bubble and unproven. I can see us spending a premium draft pick here. We can use some veteran free agent help too.

3 - LT - If Bell leaves we need to bring in some reinforcements. Hairston is only the LT left. If Bell stays we still draft a decent prospect.

4 - TE - Chandler is good but I would love to have one of those super athlete TEs that everyone seems to be finding. They are not easy to get and Buffalo has a track record of failure when drafting TEs.

As always we will bring in some decent DBs prospects to push the incumbants.

QB of the future? I see us sitting pat for another year due to Fitz's contract and the committment they made. That said, if there is a guy they covet there in the first round they could make a move?

Agree with everything. I would add that we might not be able to retain Stevie with #2 money, especially if he gets his back to back 1,000 yard seasons. We need to retain him, even at #1 money. Linebacker should be the focus on the draft, unless their is a WR or QB that you simply cannot pass on.

Now, would you like to discuss the actual pros and cons of keeping Merriman, or do you prefer to make self-serving extractions that exist only to support your assertion that the FO is inept, a point that is tangential, at best.

Thanks for the response. I think. :unsure:

You've got me cornered. What are the actual pros and cons then of keeping or cutting Merriman. I am willing to be objective if others are.

One caveat however, I do not believe in keeping a player on roster just because he's on the roster.

You've got me cornered. What are the actual pros and cons then of keeping or cutting Merriman. I am willing to be objective if others are.

One caveat however, I do not believe in keeping a player on roster just because he's on the roster.

If he is already under contract, why would you cut him before you see how he does after surgery? Camp opens with 90+ players on the roster. Are you saying that a 9th CB is more valuable than seeing what Merriman can do?

Regardless of his individual stats, it didnt take a trained eye to see the difference in the level of intensity our Defense had when Merriman was on the field versus when he was injured. A 60% Merriman is still good to have around for the team. Plus he is willing to actively recruit Free Agents (Barnett, Morrison).

I believe the Bills should, and will, add to the OLB spot in the off-season. But what harm does it do by bringing Merriman to camp so the kids can see how a real OLB plays?

We can still release him in the last round of cuts. Anything before camp opens just isnt prudent.

If he is already under contract, why would you cut him before you see how he does after surgery? Camp opens with 90+ players on the roster. Are you saying that a 9th CB is more valuable than seeing what Merriman can do?

Regardless of his individual stats, it didnt take a trained eye to see the difference in the level of intensity our Defense had when Merriman was on the field versus when he was injured. A 60% Merriman is still good to have around for the team. Plus he is willing to actively recruit Free Agents (Barnett, Morrison).

I believe the Bills should, and will, add to the OLB spot in the off-season. But what harm does it do by bringing Merriman to camp so the kids can see how a real OLB plays?

We can still release him in the last round of cuts. Anything before camp opens just isnt prudent.

Should you need anything else, so-cal, my doctoral PA will be fielding all inquiries until the New Year! :thumbsup:

I'm curious as to what the downside of bringing back a player with tremendous potential who's under a cheap contract would be. Esp, as the good doctor pointed out, given his worth as a tutor and mentor and recruiting maven.

ok. Agreed. They signed him for 3 years? 2010, 2011, 2012.

Should you need anything else, so-cal, my doctoral PA will be fielding all inquiries until the New Year! :thumbsup:

I'm curious as to what the downside of bringing back a player with tremendous potential who's under a cheap contract would be. Esp, as the good doctor pointed out, given his worth as a tutor and mentor and recruiting maven.

haha, sorry to interject into your conversation, but it was just too easy :thumbsup:

maybe not but hightower will be ... imo he going to be even better and he also plays ilb or olb same as upshaw

Actually I would love to see both upshaw and hightower be our first and second round picks. The familiarity of Dareus, upshaw, and hightower would be beneficial. As well as the fact that they come from a great program, system (already 3-4 trained), and coach (say what you will about Saban but he is a good coach).

Isn't it incredible how straight forward life can be when you rely on readily available information to shape your outlook?

So-Cal, how pumped are you for the 2012 Bills now? :beer:

CAT. Well, I'll wait and see, wait for the draft. I will be happy to build the O-line and D-line.

Actually I would love to see both upshaw and hightower be our first and second round picks. The familiarity of Dareus, upshaw, and hightower would be beneficial. As well as the fact that they come from a great program, system (already 3-4 trained), and coach (say what you will about Saban but he is a good coach).

This has been one of my main reasons for getting rid of Edwards. It must be embarrassing for the Bills organization, and telling to the rookies, when we have players like Dareus and Sheppard coming from programs like Alabama and LSU who MUST have better defensive coaching than our professional organization.

I cant imagine studying Defense under Saban and his staff for 3-4 years, and then coming to Edwards. I would bet some of the rookies know more than he does...