With the injuries will they let Jasper play

....lybob

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe D’Alessandris has been quite a good Oline coach, honestly I doubt Jasper is really ready but it is garbage time anyhow. I think it is cool that he is on the roster but don't expect very much out of him. He was projected as a NT and it was well known he wasn't all that as a guard at a small college. He won a spot on this team by having a great story IMO. I wish him all the luck in the world though, because frankly I have bought into it too.

Joe D’Alessandris has been quite a good Oline coach, honestly I doubt Jasper is really ready but it is garbage time anyhow. I think it is cool that he is on the roster but don't expect very much out of him. He was projected as a NT and it was well known he wasn't all that as a guard at a small college. He won a spot on this team by having a great story IMO. I wish him all the luck in the world though, because frankly I have bought into it too.

This team is full of good stories that have grown into pro-bowl quality players. Perhaps he's next?

This teamLeague is full of good stories that have grown into pro-bowl quality players. Perhaps he's next?

I think this is what you meant

Is it too late to get him onto the pro Bowl Ballot this season? I think that some believe that if he just steps onto the field he will be deserving of a starting spot on the Pro Bowl team. Might as well get it over with and let him play, then when he doesn't look like a starter the fans can turn on him and complain about how bad Nix and Gailey are at drafting or that he should play NT, until they play him at NT......

This guy is a huge project with SIZE, and potential Upside because of his size. He was a small school o-linemen drafted in the 7th as a project that they thought would be a potential NT due to his size. In the pre-season they found he wasn't a good NT, so they put him on the PS and let him go back to the o-line. Everyone is so afraid that the Bills have this gem that everyone would steal away, yet he lasted all year on the PS without being snatched away. Kinda like Joique Bell, when Freddie was IR'd, the Bills could have easily stole him back off the Saints PS instead of bringing in Choice. So far Bells NFL carrier has been a PS journeymen

Edited by apuszczalowski

i am not sure of the rules, but activating him for one game might mess up his eligibility for the practice aquad in out years..maybe not worth that..kinda like losing your redshirt to play a meaningless bowl game

No problem with practice squad eligibility when a player is activated for a couple of games:

Each NFL team may keep up to eight members on its "practice squad" in addition to the 53-member main roster. They consist mostly of rookies who were cut in training camps and borderline NFL-caliber players. Both rookies and young veterans are eligible for the practice squad. However, a player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than three seasons, or if he has accrued a year of NFL experience (six or more games on a club's 53-man active roster or official Injured Reserve list.) If the player was on the active list for fewer than 9 games during their "only Accrued Season(s)", he maintains his eligibility for the practice squad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_team

Joe D'Alessandris has been quite a good Oline coach, honestly I doubt Jasper is really ready but it is garbage time anyhow. I think it is cool that he is on the roster but don't expect very much out of him. He was projected as a NT and it was well known he wasn't all that as a guard at a small college. He won a spot on this team by having a great story IMO. I wish him all the luck in the world though, because frankly I have bought into it too.

It isn't garbage time if starters are still playing - we really don't want to see Fitz, Spiller, Levitre or Pears come out of the game hurt

On the other hand, because he was activated doesn't mean he'll start, or even play. I suspect it's hard to pick up guys off the street at this juncture so with Bell and Urbik out our options are kinda slim.

Maybe they'll throw him in at NT and he'll sit on Brady and squash him like a bug

I wish we had better nutritionists/S&C guys who could motivate our players to buff up and stay fit

Could Sanborn serve as an emergency OL? Or is the LS job just so tough that you don't want to risk him on ordinary downs?

doesnt every football team have a backup lineman that can play center and guard?

Chan just calls his plays, no matter the situation or opponent...clear signs of a bad coach

Also, we're getting into a semantics issue here.

It's said that Jasper was "activated" which I take to mean that he was activated from the practice squad onto the roster.

However do we know for certain that he will not be made one of the Bills inactives come game day?

Sorry if this has already been made clear.

There's a slim possibility that was accurate in August (although he looked easily over 400 in camp), but there's little chance he's still 383.

In the press release about his activation they claimed he was 374:

The Buffalo Bills announced that the team has promoted OL Michael Jasper to the 53-man roster. In accordance with team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed. Jasper has spent the first 16 weeks of the 2011 regular season on the team’s Practice Squad. The 6-4, 374-pound Bethel product entered the NFL as a seventh-round (245th overall) draft choice of Buffalo in April. He will continue to wear No. 69.

Question: does activating Jasper to the 53 man roster have contract implications for the off-season? I've always been fuzzy on whether the PS members (who are free agents) can participate in OTAs and minicamps, as technically they are unrestricted free agents and not under contract to the team?

However do we know for certain that he will not be made one of the Bills inactives come game day?

Well, by my count, the starting 5 OL this week (from L to R) are Hairston, Levitre, Brown, Reinhart, & Pears. The only two healthy on the roster after those five are Sam Young and Michael Jasper. Seeing how NFL teams usually go into a game with at least 7 offensive lineman, and the Bills having only 7 healthy, then I guess you can take it to the bank that Jasper will be active... and probably play a few snaps.

Well, by my count, the starting 5 OL this week (from L to R) are Hairston, Levitre, Brown, Reinhart, & Pears. The only two healthy on the roster after those five are Sam Young and Michael Jasper. Seeing how NFL teams usually go into a game with at least 7 offensive lineman, and the Bills having only 7 healthy, then I guess you can take it to the bank that Jasper will be active... and probably play a few snaps.

No doubt about it!! How many snaps...? Probably not many... they probably have him learning a base "package" which might have 4-5 plays they will run out of it and a few they will pass out of.... Depending on how the game plays out, injuries and how well those plays get executed we might actually see Jasper for 5-10 snaps.

Edited by UticaBill

Would this be so as to get Fitzpatrick broken or killed? :ph34r:

JASPER IS THE KINDA PLAYER YOU CANT HELP BUT ROOT FOR,HIS strenghts at this point he ability to drive block he will be against wolfolk ,another mauler but jasper is so immense itll be a game in itself mt jasper i think will walk off smiling but wolfolk wont ,going to be like a semi colliding with a train .. go get em jas!

I'm rooting for him also. Always root for the underdog. Problem is I've been rooting for the underdog Bill's for so long I'm along for the ride with Jasper because I believe in ghosts. Used to love that cartoon. Used to love the Bill's too. Now I just cry alot.

JASPER IS THE KINDA PLAYER YOU CANT HELP BUT ROOT FOR,HIS strenghts at this point he ability to drive block he will be against wolfolk ,another mauler but jasper is so immense itll be a game in itself mt jasper i think will walk off smiling but wolfolk wont ,going to be like a semi colliding with a train .. go get em jas!

Size does not equal success or that a player can play

Remember that guy the Bills signed a few years ago, he was massive, I believe he had been drafted, and later cut by the Lions. I think he is out of Football, AGAIN

He really is a enigma to me......huge, heavy, but EXTREMELY athletic for his size.......

I didnt think he was getting good push at the NT spot......but its a little bit different on the opposite side of the ball....he simply needs to hold his ground and have the ability to turn his man to the side as a OG (I dont think they ask him to pull at his size)

I will def be watching and hoping he gets some time.....for that matter would like to see a lot of guys get time in this game to include the backup QB.....i have seen NOTHING of him that says "I can play" out of him.

I'm rooting for him also. Always root for the underdog. Problem is I've been rooting for the underdog Bill's for so long I'm along for the ride with Jasper because I believe in ghosts. Used to love that cartoon. Used to love the Bill's too. Now I just cry alot.

I really enjoyed reading this post. I think this says something about the mental state of this Bills fan, I'm just not sure what.