Refs are intentionally miscalling games

The colts must have told the League they don't want Luck and so the NFL instructed the refs to throw numerous personal fouls and pass interference penalties against Houston last night so the Colts could win. 3 were on the final drive all against JJ Watt who played a phenomenal game (as he has all season). Apparently it is now it is illegal to tackle a QB with two players even though there was nothing even close to helmet to helmet and it is now illegal hands to the face when when you outstretch you're arm to tackle the QB and grab him around the legs :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I don't believe the games are fixed but sometimes I wonder if the refs are told to influence the out come of the game because what happened last night was the most outrageous, indefensible refereeing I have seen in a long time, at least since the NFC championship of Minnesota vs New Orleans and the Pittsburgh/Seattle Superbowl. Feel free to throw in any other horribly reffed games you can think of.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a review of the final drive on SportCenter. The ESPN guys reviewing the plays (I forget who they were) were really angry about the terrible ref calls. It made some of the terrible calls that Bills fans have whined about look like no big deal in comparison. The refs definitely won that game for the Colts. They didn't even try to disguise it.

I saw a review of the final drive on SportCenter. The ESPN guys reviewing the plays (I forget who they were) were really angry about the terrible ref calls. It made some of the terrible calls that Bills fans have whined about look like no big deal in comparison. The refs definitely won that game for the Colts. They didn't even try to disguise it.

You can say that again, I was totally disgusted and could care less about those two teams. It's how it could ruin the league and the game that really concerns me.

The colts must have told the League they don't want Luck and so the NFL instructed the refs to throw numerous personal fouls and pass interference penalties against Houston last night so the Colts could win. 3 were on the final drive all against JJ Watt who played a phenomenal game (as he has all season). Apparently it is now it is illegal to tackle a QB with two players even though there was nothing even close to helmet to helmet and it is now illegal hands to the face when when you outstretch you're arm to tackle the QB and grab him around the legs :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I don't believe the games are fixed but sometimes I wonder if the refs are told to influence the out come of the game because what happened last night was the most outrageous, indefensible refereeing I have seen in a long time, at least since the NFC championship of Minnesota vs New Orleans and the Pittsburgh/Seattle Superbowl. Feel free to throw in any other horribly reffed games you can think of.

The 'hands to the face' call was on the offensive lineman at the start of the play (he damned near took his head off) not on the QB tackle. The sack play was because he hit the QB at or below the knees, which is a stupid penalty in general and shouldn't be a rule IMHO... but it is in the rulebook: http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/protectionofpasser

those were some of the worst calls ive ever seen

there was one earlier in the game that i couldnt believe was called roughing the passer, it wasnt even a hard tackle

i never want to believe the NFL or any other league wants to influence a game but one has to wonder after watching last nights debacle

Edited by Max997

The 'hands to the face' call was on the offensive lineman at the start of the play (he damned near took his head off) not on the QB tackle. The sack play was because he hit the QB at or below the knees, which is a stupid penalty in general and shouldn't be a rule IMHO... but it is in the rulebook: http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/protectionofpasser

When the ref threw the flag (right at Watt) it was well after that and was when Watt's hand "appeared" to graze the QBS head.

whats really sad is if a player or coach speaks out about the crappy refereing in a game they get fined. how stupid is that!!! the nfl should look at said film and if the coach is correct then fine the offical

The officials should be paid professionals with out other jobs. This is the most popular sport with Billions pumped into it, you'd think that they could have highly trained officials whose focus is on the game, not Doctors and Lawyers and such.

there was one earlier in the game that i couldnt believe was called roughing the passer, it wasnt even a hard tackle

i never want to believe the NFL or any other league wants to influence a game but one has to wonder after watching last nights debacle

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"Refs are intentionally miscalling games"

"I don't believe the games are fixed"

Make up your mind, Sybil.

Anyway, still waiting to hear why the Colts a.) don't want Luck and b.) why they need to the League to help them not get Luck. Can't they just not pick him?

This is a long way to go to get in a weekly dig at the refs.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I am still not over the Miami game. How the heck do players know when they push the threshold of overly agressive play with wishy washy calls?

Interference calls on anything that deletes a first down should be under review these days. Dont care about the offsides and lines tom foolery but the plays that make a difference in the outcome seem pretty important to the value of the game.

"Refs are intentionally miscalling games"

"I don't believe the games are fixed"

Make up your mind, Sybil.

Anyway, still waiting to hear why the Colts a.) don't want Luck and b.) why they need to the League to help them not get Luck. Can't they just not pick him?

This is a long way to go to get in a weekly dig at the refs.

looks more like Polian pissed someone off and now the league does not want the Colts to be rewarded with Luck for tanking the season

Hard to lose when the refs are basically handing you the winning points

Are you talking about the Watt's perfect form tackle/sack that got flagged? If he's fined after that there's something awfully wrong with the NFL.

If you think the NFL intentionally throws games or issues directives to officials to sway the outcome then you are a moron. Some officials are horrible and an easy solution would be to make them year round full time employees.

one horrible game and you're right but multiple games and something aint right.

Last night was bad. It was very obvious that the refs were up to something. I guarantee Vegas made bank last night.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_New_England_Patriots

(I know...a patsies viewpoint, but I had a hard time finding information about this game).

Bledsoe, playing with a broken finger, engineered late 4th-quarter comebacks against the Miami Dolphins and Buffalo Bills to save the season. The Bills game was especially controversial, as the game was prolonged due to a series of questionable calls. With under a minute to go and down by four points, the Patriots engineered a long drive. However, the Buffalo defense appeared to stop the Patriots on 4th down with a juggled catch out of bounds. The referee needed to determine whether receiver Shawn Jefferson was inbounds, caught the ball, and achieved first down yardage. The referee on the sideline signaled first down after a conference with other officials. Several Bills claimed one said "just give it to them" (referring to first down yardage) in the huddle. Television instant replays showed that he was short of first down yardage, but the NFL had discontinued use of instant replay the previous season. This was followed by a questionable pass interference call made in the end zone on what would have been the game's final play. Bledsoe hit Ben Coates for a touchdown on the final untimed play of the game. In protest, the Bills left the field and let the Patriots kicker Adam Vinateri walk in for a meaningless two-point conversion. Doug Flutie, then the Bills' quarterback, later quipped "They gave them the game, we figured we might as well give them the extra point.”

I watched that game and remember the refs giving it to them. I remember Andre Reed saying after the game "I heard the ref say "just give it to them"". The most egregious referee

mistake I have ever seen. Anyone else remember the game?

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_New_England_Patriots

(I know...a patsies viewpoint, but I had a hard time finding information about this game).

Bledsoe, playing with a broken finger, engineered late 4th-quarter comebacks against the Miami Dolphins and Buffalo Bills to save the season. The Bills game was especially controversial, as the game was prolonged due to a series of questionable calls. With under a minute to go and down by four points, the Patriots engineered a long drive. However, the Buffalo defense appeared to stop the Patriots on 4th down with a juggled catch out of bounds. The referee needed to determine whether receiver Shawn Jefferson was inbounds, caught the ball, and achieved first down yardage. The referee on the sideline signaled first down after a conference with other officials. Several Bills claimed one said "just give it to them" (referring to first down yardage) in the huddle. Television instant replays showed that he was short of first down yardage, but the NFL had discontinued use of instant replay the previous season. This was followed by a questionable pass interference call made in the end zone on what would have been the game's final play. Bledsoe hit Ben Coates for a touchdown on the final untimed play of the game. In protest, the Bills left the field and let the Patriots kicker Adam Vinateri walk in for a meaningless two-point conversion. Doug Flutie, then the Bills' quarterback, later quipped "They gave them the game, we figured we might as well give them the extra point.”

I watched that game and remember the refs giving it to them. I remember Andre Reed saying after the game "I heard the ref say "just give it to them"". The most egregious referee

mistake I have ever seen. Anyone else remember the game?

yes.