how to deal with drunk hooligans who run on the field

Pete

Wow, that goalie did get a raw deal. Obviously we don't know all of the facts at hand here, but I don't blame him for what he did. I can only imagine that to a big-time athlete, like these guys, it would be viewed as a legitimate threat.

You guys don't suppose this has anything to do with the fact that the goalkeeper is Costa Rican and the hooligan is Dutch, do you?

There is lots of overt racism in soccer. Especially amongst hooligans. That could very well be racial

Can't believe I missed this. AZ is Jozy Altidore's club team. AZ's coach did the right thing pulling his team off the field. What was the referee thinking?

The referee was completely wrong. The guy admitted to hating the goalkeeper and was attempting to attack him. If I were that goalkeeper you can count on that guy coming away in worst shape then he did. The players need to be protected and what the coach did was the right thing to do, IMO.

The referee was completely wrong. The guy admitted to hating the goalkeeper and was attempting to attack him. If I were that goalkeeper you can count on that guy coming away in worst shape then he did. The players need to be protected and what the coach did was the right thing to do, IMO.

From what I've read after seeing this video, the fan came from the ULTRA fan section which in many European countries contains fanatical racists and Neo-Nazis.

Goalie had every right to go to town on the attacker. The referee should have called the match. The red card does nothing to protect the players and it in fact rewards the attacker's motives. Even the Ajax coach was perplexed by the red card.