Prediction: Fired Coaches at Season's End

Just an opinion/predicition of NFL head coaches who I think will be fired/resign once the season concludes. Thoughts?

AFC

---

Miami: Todd Bowles (REPLACED)

New England: Bill Belichick (SAFE)

N.Y. Jets: Rex Ryan (SAFE)

Buffalo: Chan Gailey (SAFE)

Baltimore: John Harbaugh (SAFE)

Pittsburgh: Mike Tomlin (SAFE)

Cincinnati: Marvin Lewis (WILL RESIGN)

Cleveland: Pat Shurmer (SAFE)

Indianapolis: Jim Caldwell (FIRED)

Houston: Gary Kubiak (SAFE)

Jacksonville: Mel Tucker (REPLACED)

Tennessee: Mike Munchak (SAFE)

Kansas City: Romeo Crenell (WILL BE RETAINED)

Denver: John Fox (SAFE)

Oakland: Hue Jackson (SAFE)

San Diego: Norv Turner (FIRED)

NFC

---

Dallas: Jason Garrett (SAFE)

N.Y. Giants: Tom Coughlin (FIRED)

Philadelphia: Andy Reid (FIRED)

Washington: Mike Shannahan (WILL RESIGN)

Chicago: Lovie Smith (FIRED)

Minnesota: Leslie Frazier (FIRED)

Detroit: Jim Schwartz (SAFE)

Green Bay: Mike McCarthy (SAFE)

Atlanta: Mike Smith (SAFE)

New Orleans: Sean Payton (SAFE)

Carolina: Ron Rivera (SAFE)

Tampa Bay: Raheem Morris (FIRED)

St. Louis: Steve Spagnoula (FIRED)

San Francisco: Jim Harbaugh (SAFE)

Seattle: Pete Carrol (SAFE)

Arizona: Ken Whisenhunt (SAFE)

Thoughts: Miami and San Diego are no brainers as the Dolphins are gonna be a very attrative landing spot, and will gun hard to land former Steelers' Head Coach Bill Cowher. If Cowher does return, I could see him landing in either Miami or San Diego. Norv Turner is a sitting duck no matter if the Chargers make the playoffs or not. The only way his job is safe is if San Diego wins it all, but there not even gonna get in the playoffs in my opinion.

Leslie Frazier's time in Minnesota will be up as well. This couldn't have been what the Viking front-office expected when he and McNabb were brought in to resurrect the offense. McNabb is now unemployed and the franchise need a fresh start with a new coach for rookie QB Christian Ponder. Look for an offensive coordinator to get that job. Raheem Morris appears to be done in Tampa. I really thought the Bucs would fire him midseason, but it didn't happen. This franchise appeared at one point to be on the rise until midseason.

The Eagles are still a longshot to make the playoffs, and, if by some miracle they do get in, Andy Reid finds himself in pretty much the same boat as Norville in San Diego. He'll have to win it all to be retained. Anything else will almost surely result in Reid being either fired or asked to resign. There were monumental expectations in Philly this year that were nearly impossible for Reid to live up to. A fresh start is desparately needed there from both sides, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Andy Reid pulled a "Cowher" and took some time off to recharge his batteries. Reid is the current longest tenured head coach in the NFL and, as we all know, coaching in that city has to take its toll. "Fire Andy" chants started long before the "Dream Team" was ever essembled there.

As for Jim Caldwell in Indianapolis, its only been two years since he and the Colts appeared in the SuperBowl. The Colts have been a perrenial playoff team year after year. When Peyton Manning's neck issues arose, it was Caldwell's job to insure that the rest of the team kept focus. That, needless to say, hasn't happened. In fact, its now proven that without Peyton, Indy is one of the worst teams in the NFL. You always here about how "one man doesn't make a team", Peyton Manning has officially killed that quote single-handedly. Caldwell surely doesn't deserve the complete blame of everything, but he will almost undoubtedly take the fall for this nightmarish season in Indianapolis. Add the possibility of the Colts drafing Andrew Luck with the 1st pick, and Bill Polian will want a fresh start with a new QB, even if Manning does decide to put his ego aside and groom Luck, look for a new head coach there.

As for our Bills, its looking more and more like 5-11 is going to be the record, given that "Tebow-mania" will be RUNNING wild at the Ralph this Saturday, and the annual guaranteed "L" in New England in week 17. That would result in a 9 game losing streak after a 5-2 start. Almost ANY other coach in the NFL would be history. I have mixed emotions about whether a coaching change should be made, there's absolutley no excuse to let things like this happen if you're a good NFL coach. I like Coach Gailey, but he's lost this team. However, a change here would most likely set the franchise back 3-5 more years. Look for George Edwards to be fired almost immediately after the season. However, if Gailey refuses to fire Edwards, one of his closest friends, then things could get interesting at One Bills Drive. Otherwise, look for the message of "continuity" to be shoved down our throats yet again.

I don't think its all Gailey's fault. And I don't think he has completely lost this team. But its clear that the defense needs an overall coaching change as Edwards isn't getting it done. Aside from that three game stretch the offense is still playing better then it has in years. Fitz is our guy like it or not.

But this season was not the year we were suppose to compete. Although 5-6 wins is a little under expectations and once the team went 3-0 and 5-2 the expectations had to be adjusted. Given another draft class and free agency period I think Gailey might have the horses to pull off a run. But its clear that this season has been a disappointment.

Coughlin and Reid won't get fired. They both have good records and there's nothing better out there. I don't get why Lewis will resign since they're exceeding expectations and have a boatload of picks from the Palmer trade. Shanahan won't resign either. Hes too arrogant and also too greedy to leave much money on the table.

Surprise firing would be Ryan if jets don't make playoffs. It could unravel quickly as there'll be pressure to get rid of OC schottenheimer which Ryan will resist, then ownership will fire him too since his defense is getting embarressed as well. Perfect opening for cowher to land that broadway gig he covets

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I think Coughlin and/or Reid are fired should their teams fail to make the playoffs.

The subplot to the Eagles is that there was a considerable power struggle between Jim Washburn and Juan Castillo over the defense that Andy Reid apparently did not get himself involved in until the Miami game where the use of the Wide-9 defense was largely scrapped for more of a Jim Johnson blitz scheme with Castillo having more decision making power rather than Washburn. There's a lot of internal strife in the Eagles organization and the playoffs are the only saving grace for Reid as head coach. Never mind the fan base wants him gone three days ago.

As for Coughlin, how much longer are the Giants owners going to be patient with now the inevitable team collapse that comes every year and just squeezing into the playoffs? The team seems stuck in the same story every year.

Hey maybe we can bring in Norv & fire Edwards & have a reunion in B lo ?? If the Eagles fire Andy Reid that would be ignorant on their part !! The guy has had them in the play offs for ever & you have one bad year & you fire him it's just stupid !!! Of coarse they did bring in DJ so that tells you something :blink: ....

Coughlin will be fired if they don't make the playoffs. Andy Reid there is a possibility (the modern day Marv Levy). Norv Turner a great chance especially if they don't make the playoffs.

There is no chance Shanahan resigns. He would never give up that money and has WAY TO BIG OF AN EGO to ever do that. I don't think the owner would fire him at this point because of the contract.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

For what? I don't recall him winning much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Reid#Head_coaching_record

124-81-1 (.604) regular season, with 6 division titles and 9 playoff appearances in 12+ seasons, with still a slim chance at winning the division this year. 10-9 career playoff record isn't fabulous, but it's a long way past anything we've had since Marvelous Marvin Levy.

Having said that, Reid doesn't seem like a great fit to our current personnel. Decent, not great. He famously loves passing and hates running - usually having about a 2:1 pass:run ratio win or lose - and our running game is light-years ahead of our passing game, particularly when Fred Jackson is healthy. Coughlin would probably make more sense in that regard.

I believe Gailey is an excellent coach saddled with inferior talent and injuries. One good d linemen, no good o linemen, no good lbs, an average secondary, and one good wr. Which teams have inferior talent?

Gailey is also saddled with possibly the worst owner in the league.

If Andy Reid is fired, I give him a king's ransom...

what has Reid done as head coach without Jim Johnson as his DC?

Reid does wonders with QBs but I dont think he is as good a head coach as a lot of people believe he is

his game management is awful and somehow after all these years he still hasnt figured how to manage a clock

Just an opinion/predicition of NFL head coaches who I think will be fired/resign once the season concludes. Thoughts?

AFC

---

Miami: Todd Bowles (REPLACED)

New England: Bill Belichick (SAFE)

N.Y. Jets: Rex Ryan (SAFE)

Buffalo: Chan Gailey (SAFE)( FIRED)

Baltimore: John Harbaugh (SAFE)

Pittsburgh: Mike Tomlin (SAFE)

Cincinnati: Marvin Lewis (WILL RESIGN) (SAFE)

Cleveland: Pat Shurmer (SAFE)

Indianapolis: Jim Caldwell (FIRED)

Houston: Gary Kubiak (SAFE)

Jacksonville: Mel Tucker (REPLACED)

Tennessee: Mike Munchak (SAFE)

Kansas City: Romeo Crenell (WILL BE RETAINED)

Denver: John Fox (SAFE)

Oakland: Hue Jackson (SAFE)

San Diego: Norv Turner (FIRED) (SAFE)

NFC

---

Dallas: Jason Garrett (SAFE) (FIRED)

N.Y. Giants: Tom Coughlin (FIRED) (SAFE)

Philadelphia: Andy Reid (FIRED)(SAFE)

Washington: Mike Shannahan (WILL RESIGN)

Chicago: Lovie Smith (FIRED)(SAFE)

Minnesota: Leslie Frazier (FIRED)

Detroit: Jim Schwartz (SAFE)

Green Bay: Mike McCarthy (SAFE)

Atlanta: Mike Smith (SAFE)

New Orleans: Sean Payton (SAFE)

Carolina: Ron Rivera (SAFE)

Tampa Bay: Raheem Morris (FIRED)

St. Louis: Steve Spagnoula (FIRED)

San Francisco: Jim Harbaugh (SAFE)

Seattle: Pete Carrol (SAFE)

Arizona: Ken Whisenhunt (SAFE)

As for our Bills, its looking more and more like 5-11 is going to be the record, given that "Tebow-mania" will be RUNNING wild at the Ralph this Saturday, and the annual guaranteed "L" in New England in week 17. That would result in a 9 game losing streak after a 5-2 start. Almost ANY other coach in the NFL would be history. I have mixed emotions about whether a coaching change should be made, there's absolutley no excuse to let things like this happen if you're a good NFL coach. I like Coach Gailey, but he's lost this team. However, a change here would most likely set the franchise back 3-5 more years. Look for George Edwards to be fired almost immediately after the season. However, if Gailey refuses to fire Edwards, one of his closest friends, then things could get interesting at One Bills Drive. Otherwise, look for the message of "continuity" to be shoved down our throats yet again.

JMO

I don't see how a HC can be (SAFE) after losing 9 straight. The losing started long before FJ & EW went on IR.

If Nix retires or resigns and Whaley steps in like many think will happen, I don't see him keeping Gailey, unless of course directed by the owner to do so. 9-23 after two years would bury most coaches

Edited by Fear the Beard