DEXTER: season six finale

Buftex

Again, part of the whole religious theme of the season. Which Clippers didn't like because it detracted from the plot.

How does anything you've said at all detract from my observation? Everything you've posted as hating was something that promoted the thematic elements of the season, and you complain they were weak plot points. In other words, you didn't like it because the themes detracted from the plot. It's not amateur psychology, it's reading comprehension, you !@#$ing nitwit.

The whole Deb crushing on Dex thing was pretty execrable, though. I don't think anyone will argue that.

It wasn't so much the concept of Deb having a crush on Dexter that I had the problem with, it was just the way it was introduced into the storyline...the scenes with Deb and the shrink were just brutal.

you have said that the theme was religious based and you liked that. fine.

first off how dumb are you that "Everything" i have posted promoted the thematic element. dont used "everything". you, probably the biggest jerk here should know that. you are wrong by your own admission with the deb crush.

cowboy dexter going on a shotting spree with his brother really promoted the main theme????? he went to kill someone. that's part of the serial killer in dex, not the religious theme. i CAN try to explain bit by bit. but im not going to. everyone knows you're a dick and by the looks of it, you are a proud dick. so im not going there with you.

ps. to me, if your reading comprehension was accurate you would have assumed the obvious. which is: IN MY OPINION STORY LINES AND SUB PLOTS WERE A LITTLE WEAK AND I DIDNT LIKE THE RELIGIOUS THEME. ALSO, FOR NOW THE 4TH TIME, OF COURSE, THE SHOW HAD SOME GOOD SCENES. shut up dc tom.

No, actually it is. In general, the "Code of Harry" as an ethical code is a religion that Dexter follows, as embodied by the "spirit" of Dexter's father that offers him advice and guidance. His brother's "spirit" was introduced when Dexter broke from the Code of Harry in spontaneously drowning Brother Sam's killer (note how complete the break was: the spontaneity of it, drowning instead of stabbing, the lack of ritual and preparation - he didn't even take a trophy). The whole arc involving Dexter's brother was written as a counterpoint to Dexter's entire belief system as the Code of Harry...and you could easily pick some Biblical stories serving as a basis for that, too (Jesus' temptation by Satan or the parable of the Prodigal Son, for starters).

And as thin as useless as that might seem to your limited understanding, when you put it within the context of the other examples of religious themes in the season (the triumph of Brother Sam's Christianity over his Dark Passenger, which mimic's Dexter's own code's; Travis' religious delusion justifying his own Dark Passenger; just as two examples), it becomes rather more profound, as one in a series of tableaux serving to explore the religious themes of faith, spiritual guidance, and even salvation. Right down to the last ironically banal "Oh God" line in the season.

And you didn't like that, because you couldn't see thematic elements and felt they distracted from the plot. And that's fine. That's why God invented coloring books.

It wasn't so much the concept of Deb having a crush on Dexter that I had the problem with, it was just the way it was introduced into the storyline...the scenes with Deb and the shrink were just brutal.

I wanted to slap that therapist. "Do you think you're in love with your step-brother? But what if you are? I think you are. Isn't it obvious you are? Because you are, aren't you?"

That's not therapy, that's !@#$ing brainwashing.

No, actually it is. In general, the "Code of Harry" as an ethical code is a religion that Dexter follows, as embodied by the "spirit" of Dexter's father that offers him advice and guidance. His brother's "spirit" was introduced when Dexter broke from the Code of Harry in spontaneously drowning Brother Sam's killer (note how complete the break was: the spontaneity of it, drowning instead of stabbing, the lack of ritual and preparation - he didn't even take a trophy). The whole arc involving Dexter's brother was written as a counterpoint to Dexter's entire belief system as the Code of Harry...and you could easily pick some Biblical stories serving as a basis for that, too (Jesus' temptation by Satan or the parable of the Prodigal Son, for starters).

And as thin as useless as that might seem to your limited understanding, when you put it within the context of the other examples of religious themes in the season (the triumph of Brother Sam's Christianity over his Dark Passenger, which mimic's Dexter's own code's; Travis' religious delusion justifying his own Dark Passenger; just as two examples), it becomes rather more profound, as one in a series of tableaux serving to explore the religious themes of faith, spiritual guidance, and even salvation. Right down to the last ironically banal "Oh God" line in the season.

And you didn't like that, because you couldn't see thematic elements and felt they distracted from the plot. And that's fine. That's why God invented coloring books.

I wanted to slap that therapist. "Do you think you're in love with your step-brother? But what if you are? I think you are. Isn't it obvious you are? Because you are, aren't you?"

That's not therapy, that's !@#$ing brainwashing.

dude you are trying to justify a bad season. i get bringing back his bro, but the shooting scenes on the highway were elementary. not for a dexter caliber show. if you cant see that, then this conversation is ovah!!!!!! maybe a jack black comedy, i'll accept it. not for this drama.

im wondering now how do you justify the whole deputy mathews scenario and how easily he's forced to retire. that was also no effort writing. they could have done so much more than what they did. it could have been that dex got involved and mathews really did kill the call girl. they could have involved the video game intern. they could have involved drunk ass cop. forget it, that could have even been travis' first "test" murder. something. but after hours of deb/lagaurta and lagauarta/mathews conversations, he is forced to retire so easy.......

c'mon now. if anything i see it the other way around. this season they thought all the fans were school kids with coloring books and they could put on any crap and expect us to follow. now you have some nerds trying to justify a bad season.

its been a couple of days now so i can spoil it. the best part of this season by far was deb catching dex killing travis. and not for the love factor but because he has now some major explaining to do.

oh and my favorite part. shut up dc tom. lol

deb says "i love you bro"

dex says "i love you too sis"

she interprets that as "that kind of lovin makes me wanna pull down the shades" (aerosmith classic, crazy)

for a detective, she sure is pretty stupid. lol

season 7 is already starting with a bang. if not for that crazy cliffhanger, i would probably abandon ship.

I think this season was more intriguing than the last two, but less easy to comprehend and definitely not core Dexter -- we went from John Lithgow's excellent portrayal of the psycho Arthur Mitchell to the brutal killing club that preyed on women. Both previous seasons provided an easy to hate villain and brutal, gory scenes that were easy to write to and engage the audience.

This season was an exploration of how dark passengers haunt lives. Dexter explored others with a dark passengers including Arthur Mitchell's son having his father, Dexter having Harry and Ice Truck, Travis having Gellar (excellent job by Edward James Olmos) and his version of God. I found it ironic that that the character that defeated his dark passenger, Reverend Sam, was murdered by a representation of his turn away from murder and trying to help others.

In likeability -- I agree it wasn't a season of core Dexter--there weren't the sharp episodes where a villain was ID'd and killed in 50 minutes that are enjoyable and immediately gratifying to the show's fans--but there was excellent acting by the cast of characters and the season's co-stars (Colin Hanks, Edward James Olmos) and it left plenty on the plate for next year. The religious themes were I believe less about religion and more about the dangers of too fervent a following of any dark passenger-- Dexter is the only person allowed to live and be consumed by his dark passenger and even he strayed this year.

As far as the creepy Brother - Step Sister thing--the last scene explained it--Deb realizes she has a strong physical and emotional attraction to Dexter but now knows he is a killer -- just like other flawed relationships she had--she wants the perfect relationship but now is in love with another serial killer --- sucks for her--but the fans will watch to see what she does now...OH GOD! Or in Deb's words--!@#$, !@#$, Mother !@#$ing, !@#$...I love that girl's vocabulary..

Edited by JoeF

dude you are trying to justify a bad season. i get bringing back his bro, but the shooting scenes on the highway were elementary. not for a dexter caliber show. if you cant see that, then this conversation is ovah!!!!!! maybe a jack black comedy, i'll accept it. not for this drama.

im wondering now how do you justify the whole deputy mathews scenario and how easily he's forced to retire. that was also no effort writing. they could have done so much more than what they did. it could have been that dex got involved and mathews really did kill the call girl. they could have involved the video game intern. they could have involved drunk ass cop. forget it, that could have even been travis' first "test" murder. something. but after hours of deb/lagaurta and lagauarta/mathews conversations, he is forced to retire so easy.......

c'mon now. if anything i see it the other way around. this season they thought all the fans were school kids with coloring books and they could put on any crap and expect us to follow. now you have some nerds trying to justify a bad season.

its been a couple of days now so i can spoil it. the best part of this season by far was deb catching dex killing travis. and not for the love factor but because he has now some major explaining to do.

oh and my favorite part. shut up dc tom. lol

No, I'm saying I liked the season because of the thematic elements. You're saying you disliked it because of the thematic elements.

And that's fine. I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm not even arguing with you. I'm not even criticizing you for not understanding how the themes drove the plot this season. Just pointing out that you didn't understand the show this season. And again, that's fine. Viewers like you, who can't see beyond "plot", keep Roland Emmerich employed.

i thought the finale went way off track with the whole brother sister love thing, and i have to say colin hanks' character really bothered me as being too over the top, but he grew on me as a really evil character. I saw that finale ending several different ways...harrison buying it...travis morgan(?) escaping during the eclipse...travis escaping from dexters truck as he put harrison to bed...dexter doing his dexter thing but leaving some clue that morgan was dead...i did NOT think deborah would witness what she witnessed....WOW!!!! I thought it was a great season...i cannot wait until next....WOW!!!!!

Let me start off by saying, I like "Dexter" a little less, every season...but, because I feel somewhat invested in the story, I feel almost obligated to watch. This season that just concluded, last night, was awful...except the final 30 seconds or so...did anyone else see it? Without giving spoiler, complete game changer...so now, damn it, I will have to tune in for season seven. I wish the show had followed the books a bit more closely...last nights' end kind of goes in a direction I never thought they would, particularly with, at least, two more seasons left.

And I thought Mos Def's portrayal of Brother Sam was simply awesome...i would have loved to see him in a recurring role....

i thought the finale went way off track with the whole brother sister love thing, and i have to say colin hanks' character really bothered me as being too over the top, but he grew on me as a really evil character. I saw that finale ending several different ways...harrison buying it...travis morgan(?) escaping during the eclipse...travis escaping from dexters truck as he put harrison to bed...dexter doing his dexter thing but leaving some clue that morgan was dead...i did NOT think deborah would witness what she witnessed....WOW!!!! I thought it was a great season...i cannot wait until next....WOW!!!!!

Completely agree...I have already chosen of life of lower expectations from my sports teams, I just can't do it for everything.

I know it is common to consider television as "trash", but I think we are living in a sort of "golden age" of tv right now. For as much garbage that is on the tele these days (and no doubt there is plenty) there are so many great tv shows over the last 10-15 years. Things like "Mad Men", "Breaking Bad" and "The Sopranos" are terrific art, and can stand up with some of the greatest movies of all time.

It seems to me, there are a lot of great directors, writers and actors who are in television right now, because it gives them the opportunity to make great art...unlike 20 years ago, when most of these people would have bristled at the idea of working on the "small screen". Because there are so many tv outlets now, ratings are not the factor that they used to be, as far as determining the fate (as well as the storyline) of most good tv. So, to me, there is no reason not to be picky, and expect more. Just because it is television, it doesn't have to feel like television, in the more traditional sense.

Without question Television has the best storytellers working in the industry today and more than they've ever had before. And there's a simple reason why:

In television, writers have the final word. In film, writers are the first ones fired.

That makes television a much more appealing outlet for the creators and authors who wish to see their vision through until the end (this is not true of all writers ... and that's fine). Throw in the fact that it's cheaper than ever before to produce cinematic quality stories each and every week -- even for cable channels -- and it makes it an even easier decision.

There is amazing work being done in television today, all the shows you referenced plus dozens more. I am a movie buff. I love movies. I came out to LA to write movies (and still do). But the longer I've been out here in the trenches the more I've come to love TV. There's more creative freedom (especially on cable), a greater ability to push the boundaries of storytelling than ever before in the medium (shows like LOST, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones -- even small comedies like Workaholics, The League, Always Sunny).

There's an old saying in Hollywood: "Features are where the glory is, TV is where the money is". There used to be a solid wall that separated TV writers from feature writers. 10 years ago (hell, even 5 years ago), there was not a lot of cross over from TV to film in terms of writers. And if there was, it always went one direction (you went from film into TV, never the other way around). But now that is changing. Writers like Lindelof, Abrams, Kurtzman & Orci, Whedon etc have had massive hits on the big screen after years of creating legendary shows on the small screen.

Having authorship over your work, and having execs that are willing to stand by your vision, makes ALL the difference in the world creatively. That does not happen in film unless the writer is also the director.

No, I'm saying I liked the season because of the thematic elements. You're saying you disliked it because of the thematic elements.

And that's fine. I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm not even arguing with you. I'm not even criticizing you for not understanding how the themes drove the plot this season. Just pointing out that you didn't understand the show this season. And again, that's fine. Viewers like you, who can't see beyond "plot", keep Roland Emmerich employed.

some parts were irrelevant in my opinion regardless of you naming them thematic elements. so whatever dude.

as far as roland emmerich. you're right. i like the blockbusters. nothing wrong with that. i like the brain movies too. inception comes to mind. you are trying to insult my intelligence with your "you dont understand.....bla bla bla". but it doesnt bother me. im a bills fan.

actually if everyone agreed all the time, the site would become boring.

Dexter has been my favorite tv show for a while. I do think it reached it's peak with Doaks, trinity was good and this season could have been better.

I didnt hate Deb crushing on Dex as most. It was uncomfortable but given the past of the family, it's not entirely implausible. The season finale was the shoe we have all been waiting for dropping. Let's hope it turns the series around, and Dexter better make quick work of the lame ass intern.

ya think????? if they were girls we'd call some of these people high maintenance....

Some of you guys nit pic to much. I agree plot holes are more frequent and the writing has dropped off a little but still has enough f'ed up characters and twists to keep me sucked in.

• 7 months later...

Just read this thread gotta say season 6 was great. What was there not to like about creepy Travis and Gellar. The villains make the show. Dexter as a show can get repetitive and boring, how many times can dexter almost be caught and slip away?

But for story 6 was great. The girl impaled w the angel wings just gruesome stuff. I liked it. That biblical doomsday stuff is creepy