DEXTER: season six finale

Buftex

Let me start off by saying, I like "Dexter" a little less, every season...but, because I feel somewhat invested in the story, I feel almost obligated to watch. This season that just concluded, last night, was awful...except the final 30 seconds or so...did anyone else see it? Without giving spoiler, complete game changer...so now, damn it, I will have to tune in for season seven. I wish the show had followed the books a bit more closely...last nights' end kind of goes in a direction I never thought they would, particularly with, at least, two more seasons left.

I pretty much agree that the show was getting a little formulaic with Dex having one antagonist to off each season. The last 30 seconds were pretty much the whopper we've been waiting for since Lila was killed at the end of season 2. Now we have a whole new ballgame.

I thought this was a very good season; I thought the exploration of the religious themes was very well done and quite nuanced, and the bald statement of "Oh God" at the very end was a very nice counterpoint to that.

As I reflect on it, this is probably as thematically rich a season of any TV series I've ever seen. Sadly that was probably lost on more than a few viewers (how interesting was the counterpoint of watching Dexter, locked in the basement of the church, watch and discuss with his dad Travis' argument with Geller?)

Season five finale was weak, I thought season six was basically solid, as you say the last 30 seconds will keep me watching next season. Didn't know it was based on a book. Guess I should read the credits.

Season 1 follows the first book in the series pretty closely. After that, they diverge widely - basically completely different.

Good books, I recommend them. But best to go into them with the knowledge that the book series and TV series are pretty much unrelated beyond the characters' names.

I thought this was a very good season; I thought the exploration of the religious themes was very well done and quite nuanced, and the bald statement of "Oh God" at the very end was a very nice counterpoint to that.

As I reflect on it, this is probably as thematically rich a season of any TV series I've ever seen. Sadly that was probably lost on more than a few viewers (how interesting was the counterpoint of watching Dexter, locked in the basement of the church, watch and discuss with his dad Travis' argument with Geller?)

Season 1 follows the first book in the series pretty closely. After that, they diverge widely - basically completely different.

Good books, I recommend them. But best to go into them with the knowledge that the book series and TV series are pretty much unrelated beyond the characters' names.

You know, that is what is so frustrating about this show, in my opinion...they always touch on interesting things, but never really go beyond the surface. Beyond Dexter, none of the characters have any depth, whatsoever...and the plots, with each season, are full of holes...but, that is just me I suppose...I just think this show could be much better than it is...I think the books are much better. To me, the only episode this season that was really pretty good, was the one with Ronnie Cox, as the geriatric serial killer.

I respect your opinion (honestly, I do), but "nuance" is one of the last thing that comes to mind, when I think of "Dexter".

Edited by Buftex

You know, that is what is so frustrating about this show, in my opinion...they always touch on interesting things, but never really go beyond the surface. Beyond Dexter, none of the characters have any depth, whatsoever...and the plots, with each season, are full of holes...but, that is just me I suppose...I just think this show could be much better than it is...I think the books are much better. To me, the only episode this season that was really pretty good, was the one with Ronnie Cox, as the geriatric serial killer.

I respect your opinion (honestly, I do), but "nuance" is one of the last thing that comes to mind, when I think of "Dexter".

Normally, I'd agree - particularly some of the last few seasons (and very particularly the "Dexter as mentor" seasons with Jimmy Smits and Julia Stiles, which had all the depth and complexity of McDonald's french fries). This season, not so much...I really did think there was a lot of nuance in the way the themes of religion and faith were presented, via the several different characters (Travis, Brother Sam, Dexter, Dexter's brother and dad, etc.)

It says volumes about the character development - or lack thereof - that the most believable character in the show is the anti-hero serial killer working in the homicide department where only ONE detective has ever figured out he's a serial killer. And that that believability stems largely from the fact that a lack of depth and feeling actually works for a sociopathic character.

Normally, I'd agree - particularly some of the last few seasons (and very particularly the "Dexter as mentor" seasons with Jimmy Smits and Julia Stiles, which had all the depth and complexity of McDonald's french fries). This season, not so much...I really did think there was a lot of nuance in the way the themes of religion and faith were presented, via the several different characters (Travis, Brother Sam, Dexter, Dexter's brother and dad, etc.)

It says volumes about the character development - or lack thereof - that the most believable character in the show is the anti-hero serial killer working in the homicide department where only ONE detective has ever figured out he's a serial killer. And that that believability stems largely from the fact that a lack of depth and feeling actually works for a sociopathic character.

I watched the first 3 seasons of Dexter before growing tired of it. Pretty good show. As a dabbler in abnormal psychology, one thing that always struck me is that Dex doesn't really fit the profile for Antisocial PD at all.

Excellent point...and maybe that is intentional on some level, but it just doesn't work for me, most of the time. Pretty much any story line involving LaGuerta, Angel or Quinn is just so dumb, and adds little to the show, or the characters.

I realize, when this show started, they had no idea how successful it would be, or how long it would be on (looking like 8 years minimum) but if they could do it over again, I think the story arc of the first season, alone, could have made an awesome, long running story...and I also think that Doaks was the best protagonist that Dexter has ever had on the show.

I actually thought it was really good, this season to me was better then last season which I found a bit weak but still pretty good, and almost as good as the Trinity Killer Season which I found to be one of the best I have seen.

I think people expect too much from Movies and TV these days.

As for the books, theres another one that I believe just came out this year, can't remember the title but I bought it for my brother for christmas.

I actually thought it was really good, this season to me was better then last season which I found a bit weak but still pretty good, and almost as good as the Trinity Killer Season which I found to be one of the best I have seen.

As for the books, theres another one that I believe just came out this year, can't remember the title but I bought it for my brother for christmas.

I actually think people don't expect enough ...

this was the worse season by far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have watched dexter since it came out. prior to this season, it was my favorite show. first off, too much religion imo. then the writing was terribly off.

travis talks to professor....done that.

dexter goes shooting on the freeway was super lame......

deb crushing on his bro....... super lame

drunk cop......lame

laguarta stealing jobs...again? what other job does she want. is she going for obamas job next????

they spent all season hiding the tall skinny dept head for leaving the scene of the overdosed girl. deb catches him. he tells deb dont snitch on me. next episode he gets fired because laguarta wanted another job....... all the hiding. all the double crossing FOR AN ENTIRE SEASON, so he can get pushed to retire in the next scene?????

when travis traps dexter in the basement, dex gets out in 2.5 seconds. c'mon

bad writing overall this year. of course they had some decent stuff. overall the show was predictable and not well written.

the finale was great. not that deb is hot for dex. LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just that he got caught doing something

i agree with you here. people are way too picky.

someone mentioned doakes. man that season was great. trinity killer season was great too. there was one scene where trinity's wife told dex "look you're super old and being with my daughter is wrong. but look i dont care what you do with my daughter. just dont tell my husband" mom was ok with dex abusing her daughter. that's how afraid she was of her husband. wow. when trinity's son confronted trinity was awesome tv.

I actually think people don't expect enough ...

Completely agree...I have already chosen of life of lower expectations from my sports teams, I just can't do it for everything.

I know it is common to consider television as "trash", but I think we are living in a sort of "golden age" of tv right now. For as much garbage that is on the tele these days (and no doubt there is plenty) there are so many great tv shows over the last 10-15 years. Things like "Mad Men", "Breaking Bad" and "The Sopranos" are terrific art, and can stand up with some of the greatest movies of all time.

It seems to me, there are a lot of great directors, writers and actors who are in television right now, because it gives them the opportunity to make great art...unlike 20 years ago, when most of these people would have bristled at the idea of working on the "small screen". Because there are so many tv outlets now, ratings are not the factor that they used to be, as far as determining the fate (as well as the storyline) of most good tv. So, to me, there is no reason not to be picky, and expect more. Just because it is television, it doesn't have to feel like television, in the more traditional sense.

Completely agree...I have already chosen of life of lower expectations from my sports teams, I just can't do it for everything.

I know it is common to consider television as "trash", but I think we are living in a sort of "golden age" of tv right now. For as much garbage that is on the tele these days (and no doubt there is plenty) there are so many great tv shows over the last 10-15 years. Things like "Mad Men", "Breaking Bad" and "The Sopranos" are terrific art, and can stand up with some of the greatest movies of all time.

It seems to me, there are a lot of great directors, writers and actors who are in television right now, because it gives them the opportunity to make great art...unlike 20 years ago, when most of these people would have bristled at the idea of working on the "small screen". Because there are so many tv outlets now, ratings are not the factor that they used to be, as far as determining the fate (as well as the storyline) of most good tv. So, to me, there is no reason not to be picky, and expect more. Just because it is television, it doesn't have to feel like television, in the more traditional sense.

i agree with this statement. so what happened this year with Dexter????

like i said in my "review" post, of course the show had some good stuff. but most was just ok.

it looks like the intern will have a star role next year. they hinted at his weirdness and specially at the end.

i agree with this statement. so what happened this year with Dexter????

like i said in my "review" post, of course the show had some good stuff. but most was just ok.

it looks like the intern will have a star role next year. they hinted at his weirdness and specially at the end.

What happened this year with Dexter is that the season was more thematically driven than usual, and you felt it detracted from the plot.

I don't think we should all lower our standards and expect nothing better then reality shows when it comes to quality on television. My comment about people expecting too much is that they expect every program to be some intellectual work of art based in reality, or else its crap. Some of the comments here about having problems believing this season or parts of other seasons of Dexter is what I am refering too. Its a show where the likable main character is a serial killer that kills only for good and was taught this by his police officer step father before he died. He also works directly in the police department and has never been found out yet? You kind of have to step away from reality a little.

As for the comment about too much religion this season, I thought that was the best part about it, because the entire season you saw Dexter questioning beliefs and religion within his own belief system of "the code". Also, alot of nut jobs and killers get their reasoning for committing their acts because of religion/beliefs. They believe that god is telling them to do things, or they are doing things because of the way tehir religion has told them things should be done

Edited by apuszczalowski

What happened this year with Dexter is that the season was more thematically driven than usual, and you felt it detracted from the plot.

Ha ha. Nope! The sub-plots were not good enough. I understand what you're trying to relay to me. But i disagree.

Trying not to sound like a broken record, but C'mon, deb crushing on her bro???

Then they bring Dex's bro back for like 3 episodes so Dex can pretend he's clint eastwood on the highway???? Totally uncalled for.

And for the 3rd time, of course the season had good points. Edward James Olmos played a very good role as professor madman Geller.

Dc Tom. You liked this season. That's good. I didnt. All previous seasons were excellent!!! A++++. Just not this one, imo.

But please dont make a bold judgement about my feelings towards a show like you're my physcologist.

Ha ha. Nope! The sub-plots were not good enough. I understand what you're trying to relay to me. But i disagree.

Then they bring Dex's bro back for like 3 episodes so Dex can pretend he's clint eastwood on the highway???? Totally uncalled for.

And for the 3rd time, of course the season had good points. Edward James Olmos played a very good role as professor madman Geller.

Dc Tom. You liked this season. That's good. I didnt. All previous seasons were excellent!!! A++++. Just not this one, imo.

But please dont make a bold judgement about my feelings towards a show like you're my physcologist.

They didn't bring him back just so he could go shooting on the highway. The entire season was all about Dexter fighting with his beliefs and the idea of religion. His beliefs until now have been "the code", and that what he was doing was right. Bringing his brother back was him questioning his beliefs, like the old good angel, bad angel on your shoulder telling you to do the opposite things. Harry was the good angel, trying to keep him on the good side, and his brother was the bad angel trying to get him to let go and not believe in Harrys Code

If theres one complaint that I had this season, it was too much obvious CGI effects that you could tell were CGI

They didn't bring him back just so he could go shooting on the highway. The entire season was all about Dexter fighting with his beliefs and the idea of religion. His beliefs until now have been "the code", and that what he was doing was right. Bringing his brother back was him questioning his beliefs, like the old good angel, bad angel on your shoulder telling you to do the opposite things. Harry was the good angel, trying to keep him on the good side, and his brother was the bad angel trying to get him to let go and not believe in Harrys Code

If theres one complaint that I had this season, it was too much obvious CGI effects that you could tell were CGI

Again, part of the whole religious theme of the season. Which Clippers didn't like because it detracted from the plot.

How does anything you've said at all detract from my observation? Everything you've posted as hating was something that promoted the thematic elements of the season, and you complain they were weak plot points. In other words, you didn't like it because the themes detracted from the plot. It's not amateur psychology, it's reading comprehension, you !@#$ing nitwit.

The whole Deb crushing on Dex thing was pretty execrable, though. I don't think anyone will argue that.

Again, part of the whole religious theme of the season. Which Clippers didn't like because it detracted from the plot.

How does anything you've said at all detract from my observation? Everything you've posted as hating was something that promoted the thematic elements of the season, and you complain they were weak plot points. In other words, you didn't like it because the themes detracted from the plot. It's not amateur psychology, it's reading comprehension, you !@#$ing nitwit.

The whole Deb crushing on Dex thing was pretty execrable, though. I don't think anyone will argue that.

you have said that the theme was religious based and you liked that. fine.

first off how dumb are you that "Everything" i have posted promoted the thematic element. dont used "everything". you, probably the biggest jerk here should know that. you are wrong by your own admission with the deb crush.

cowboy dexter going on a shotting spree with his brother really promoted the main theme????? he went to kill someone. that's part of the serial killer in dex, not the religious theme. i CAN try to explain bit by bit. but im not going to. everyone knows you're a dick and by the looks of it, you are a proud dick. so im not going there with you.

ps. to me, if your reading comprehension was accurate you would have assumed the obvious. which is: IN MY OPINION STORY LINES AND SUB PLOTS WERE A LITTLE WEAK AND I DIDNT LIKE THE RELIGIOUS THEME. ALSO, FOR NOW THE 4TH TIME, OF COURSE, THE SHOW HAD SOME GOOD SCENES. shut up dc tom.