Does Gronk make Troup the worst Bills 2nd rounder

Mr. WEO

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean besides James Hardy?

I'm willing to bet 99% of the posters here had never heard of Gronk last draft. Its pretty easy now to say we should have drafted him. If we knew then what we know now, we would have used our 1st rounder on him.

I'm willing to bet 99% of the posters here had never heard of Gronk last draft. Its pretty easy now to say we should have drafted him. If we knew then what we know now, we would have used our 1st rounder on him.

I specifically phrased the question to allow you to exclude Hardy because there was no one picked after him in round 2 who was as starkly better than our pick (maybe Jackson is close).

No one knew Troup either, but the point is that the Orchard Park Hillbillies certainly knew who Gronkowski was. But "Chan Gailey doesn't use/need a TE", right?

Actually, Gronk was a highly touted prospect. Between that and him being a lpcal kid, a lot of people knew about him. Troup, on the other hand, was an obscure prospect.

The dude is from Buffalo. Most people in WNY knew of him when he was in high school. And for the record, I and a lot of other posters had him targeted all offseason. Just another whiff by the worst FO in sports.

The worst? There have been many BAD BAD BAD second round picks. Troupe was a pick that was considered a bit of a "reach" by most NFL "experts" as Troupe was a projected 3rd rounder. There were a lot of good players on that board and this team could have definitely used a TE like Gronk. I think the need to draft Troupe came from Edwards' decision to switch to a 3-4. They needed someone they thought NT even if it meant bypassing other needs on the team.

The Troup pick was a poor pick from the get go.

1- It was a huge reach for a need position- since we were converting to a 3-4 defense and had no natural nose tackle on the roster.

Troup was rated by NO ONE to be a high second round pick.

The switch to the 3-4 contributed to their reaches for Troup and Carrington(who was considered one of the few 3-4 base ends left at the time)

Gronk missed his entire senior eason with a back injury. And no one thought enough of him to take him with the first 41 picks in the draft.

We're talking about the second round, doc. No one has made the argument that he was a first rounder. Certainly no other team was going to pick Troup in the second round.

We're talking about the second round, doc. No one has made the argument that he was a first rounder. Certainly no other team was going to pick Troup in the second round.

If people knew how good Gronk would be, someone would have taken him in the early 1st round. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, no?

The worst? There have been many BAD BAD BAD second round picks. Troupe was a pick that was considered a bit of a "reach" by most NFL "experts" as Troupe was a projected 3rd rounder. There were a lot of good players on that board and this team could have definitely used a TE like Gronk. I think the need to draft Troupe came from Edwards' decision to switch to a 3-4. They needed someone they thought NT even if it meant bypassing other needs on the team.

George Edwards did not choose to convert to the 34, Buddy Nix did. And that decision forced Buffalo to use lots of personnel resources on moving from the cover two. I don't see a place for Troup anymore with the DL they have. He's depth.

Gronk missed his entire senior eason with a back injury. And no one thought enough of him to take him with the first 41 picks in the draft.

What twisted logic that is. Because no-one else drafted Gronk in the top 41 picks, that demonstrates he is the 42nd best player in the draft. And because Troup was picked 41st, that is proof that he is the 41st best player in the draft.

The draft is about hits and misses. Gronk was a huge steal. Troup is both a reach and a disaster of a pick. And the Bills shouldn't necessarily be persecuted because they didn't draft Gronkowski. But, there were multiple blue chip prospects still available at the time. The three I was looking for at the time were Claussen (mea culpa), Cody, and Linval Joseph. Cody was an ideal 3-4 nose tackle with excellent size and pedigree. Joseph was the first team Conference USA D-tackle, meaning he outplayed Troup within his own Conference. To follow that up, Joseph blew scouts away at the combine with his speed and strength. Nix went with Troup, a middling prospect with chronic back problems.

Joseph is excelling with the Giants, while Troup is ineffective the little time he is healthy. Who saw that coming?? Nix went into that draft trying to prove he knew something others didn't by making picks that were off the grid, similar to Levy reaching for Whitner and McCargo. Nix is an embarassment of a GM. But hey, he makes Ralph 'comfortable.'

What twisted logic that is. Because no-one else drafted Gronk in the top 41 picks, that demonstrates he is the 42nd best player in the draft. And because Troup was picked 41st, that is proof that he is the 41st best player in the draft.

The draft is about hits and misses. Gronk was a huge steal. Troup is both a reach and a disaster of a pick. And the Bills shouldn't necessarily be persecuted because they didn't draft Gronkowski. But, there were multiple blue chip prospects still available at the time. The three I was looking for at the time were Claussen (mea culpa), Cody, and Linval Joseph. Cody was an ideal 3-4 nose tackle with excellent size and pedigree. Joseph was the first team Conference USA D-tackle, meaning he outplayed Troup within his own Conference. To follow that up, Joseph blew scouts away at the combine with his speed and strength. Nix went with Troup, a middling prospect with chronic back problems.

Joseph is excelling with the Giants, while Troup is ineffective the little time he is healthy. Who saw that coming?? Nix went into that draft trying to prove he knew something others didn't by making picks that were off the grid, similar to Levy reaching for Whitner and McCargo. Nix is an embarassment of a GM. But hey, he makes Ralph 'comfortable.'

Good post except that Troup didn't have chronic back problems as far as I can research.

He played 48 games during his college career and started 39 of those games.

I don't believe Troup missed any games to injury during college so again, I don't know where these repeated claims of Troup having chronic back problems has come from.

I say yes.

I'm certainly not here to defend the organization, but Gronkowski had known injury issues for sure.

In my opinion his health and his dominant play is almost a medical miracle.

Reminds me a lot of how Rodney Harrison went from an aging, injured safety with San Diego and then was re-born in NE and suddenly found healthy muscles and joints.

I'm just sayin'.

I specifically phrased the question to allow you to exclude Hardy because there was no one picked after him in round 2 who was as starkly better than our pick (maybe Jackson is close).

No one knew Troup either, but the point is that the Orchard Park Hillbillies certainly knew who Gronkowski was. But "Chan Gailey doesn't use/need a TE", right?

you sure about that? this is the throw-a-dart-at-the-draft-board bills we're talking about