4th round pick for Evans looks like a steal

Jerry Jabber

The Steelers didn't lose because of Evans. They lost because of turnovers and they couldn't stop the run.

Evans is irrelevant on that team and he even looks slower than when he was starting to decline with the Bills. The decline in speed hurts him on the only thing he can do and that is run straight and deep.

Yea well wanna hear a recap? The Ravens were already up 21-7 in the first half before they got most of those turnovers in the second half that turned the game into a rout.

I can recall reading many posts in this forum by many fans stating they thought it was a bad trade for Buffalo and a good trade for Baltimore just after that game.

Yea, Evans has been injured most of this season. But, lets wait untill we see what unfolds over the rest of the season. From reports I'm reading the Ravens are working him more into their 3 WR set as the 3rd receiver since he has been back from his injury.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nfl.com/player/leeevans/2506097/profile

6 G, 1 GS, 4 Rec, 74 yds. So in 6 games played this year, Evans is averaging: 0.6 receptions per game, and 12.3 yards per game. That 4th rounder sure looks like a steal with those stats.

You know whats going to happen Jerry? It's going to be like Lynch from a year ago.

He will make ONE 1 big play for a TD in the playoffs and people will say "I told you so" and start to go ape about trading him. :wallbash:

Those stats are horrendous btw Jerry Jabber.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Evans can't beat the rookie that replaced him on the depth chart when he went down injured. I'd say the OP's assessment is correct. The trade was a steal. 10-3 or not, you can bet your ass that the Ravens regret the trade.

But I forgot, you're not allowed to say anything positive when the Bills are losing.

Yeah but if you were really analyzing their play, none of those 3 ever looked as good as Searcy and Hairston have this season.

Fine and Wright clearly sucked. With Preston it was harder to tell because he's an interior offensive lineman.

Hairston and Searcy both play in space and have looked very good for rookies.

Again, people are emotional, pissed-off, and have lost their objectivity regarding this team. It's understandable. Some people are here to slash and burn. Vent. Get things off their chest.

But that runs counter to at least trying to have fair, objective, analysis.

Out of curiosity, what did you see in Searcy's play that leads to you say that he looked very good? He seems to make very few plays on the ball to me.

Ideally, I'd like to not paint everything with one brush.

But then I look at our records, and I have a hard time avoiding it. We've made significant roster changes, and it seems we just stay in the same spot.

Could it be the coaching staff? Nah, never mind. Must be that all the players we draft or sign suck. It's time for Gailey and his staff to be shown the door. Look at the difference a good coach has made in SF.

You know whats going to happen Jerry? It's going to be like Lynch from a year ago.

He will make ONE 1 big play for a TD in the playoffs and people will say "I told you so" and start to go ape about trading him. :wallbash:

Those stats are horrendous btw Jerry Jabber.

You're exactly right BBForever. People are still making excuses for Evans, the Ravens are gonna do this with Evans, the Ravens are gonna do that with Evans. Flacco is Fitzpatrick version 2. On top of that, the Ravens have a great run game and throw a lot of short to intermediate passes.

Donte Stallworth & TJ Houshmanzadeh were both in Baltimore and did nothing. What makes people think Evans is going to have a stellar career in Baltimore? The stats don't lie, but all the excuses do.

Evans has been hurt all year and we haven't chosen a 4th round pick yet. Impossible to judge this trade for a few more years.

I wish Lee was on our team, and so do a lot of the other guys, including our slumping QB. I would have kept him for depth and leadership. We need both at the position. Neither Brad Smith nor Spiller have NFL WR experience, and have less reps at the position than most college seniors and boy does it show with their footwork and hands.

I honestly thought your post was a joke until I read the replies.

This is what most quality teams do with their vets that are signed but declining slightly. Let him come to training camp and compete for the job. Trust your coaching staff to put the best individuals in the best position to help the team. If he can't help the team, then he gets traded or cut. We run 5 wides a lot, and lots of quick underneath stuff that requires lots of sure handed receivers. With the exception of Nelson, we don't have any.

Lee was only going to make $3m this year. Would he be sitting on the bench right now?

Based on Nix's drafting history, the odds are strong that his late 4th round pick will be.

Torrey Smith is a younger, faster, more physical version of Lee Evans. If they knew what they had in him, they would have never made the trade. I wasn't a fan of the move but it's always great to have more ammo at draft time. Evans was hurt in camp and probably wouldn't have made much of difference here anyways. Besides we might be able to re-sign him after B-more cuts him after the season.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

I bet our 4th round pick will be a pro bowler.

Right guys?

Right?

Derek Hagan has been a member of the Bills for about a week and he has 11 catches for 114 yards. Lee Evans has been with the Ravens since game 1 of this season, he has 4 catches for 74 yards. Finding anyone that's better than Evan wouldn't be hard. Getting a 4th round pick for someone who can easily be replaced by anyone on any of the 32 practice squads is a freaking STEAL.

Again, people are emotional, pissed-off, and have lost their objectivity regarding this team. It's understandable. Some people are here to slash and burn. Vent. Get things off their chest.

Goodness that's rich. Objectivity? Searcy and Hairston have started less than 8 games combined and you see something there? Let me guess, you saw something in Bell 2 years ago too, didn't you?

Is it "slash and burn" to note that this franchise is winning less than 39% of their games for an entire decade with no sign of improvement? BTW, homerism isn't objective either.

Out of curiosity, what did you see in Searcy's play that leads to you say that he looked very good? He seems to make very few plays on the ball to me.

I saw the best tackling DB I've seen on this team since Winfield… sure-handed, instinctive and violent.

Goodness that's rich. Objectivity? Searcy and Hairston have started less than 8 games combined and you see something there? Let me guess, you saw something in Bell 2 years ago too, didn't you?

Is it "slash and burn" to note that this franchise is winning less than 39% of their games for an entire decade with no sign of improvement? BTW, homerism isn't objective either.

Actually fella, my words were "attempt to have fair, objective, analysis" as opposed to the constant whining which you advocate and practice. Ad infinitum.

To keep things simple for you, the "slash and burn" comment refers to the attitude that because the team sucks, that everything and everyone associated with the organization sucks. Is that simple enough for you?

Apparently not because you invoke the team's all-time winning percentage. That's a fact I often bring up when I'm supporting my claim that Ralph is an inept owner… not when I'm trying to evaluate our recent history of 4th round picks.

And why bring up Bell when my comment that you quoted was a direct response to Searcy and Hairston being likened to Derek Fine, Dwayne Wright, and Duke Preston?

Conflagrate much? Or is it that the discussion is too deep for your comprehension?"

Do yourself a favor fella and review my post history and see if you detect any homerism. The fact that 100% of my posts aren't indiscriminately negative doesn't automatically make me a homer… no matter if you fail or refuse to comprehend them.

My recent hammering on (in no particular order) George Edwards, Gailey's recent coaching job, the Bills OLBs qualifies me as a homer?

My comment is rich? Your comment is poor. And that's putting it nicely.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

He had the most bench press reps at the combine of any DB. This team could use the muscle.

Also, he had the INT at the end of the Oakland game to seal the win. Also, he hasn't made too many mistakes. He looks like a keeper.

Could it be the coaching staff? Nah, never mind. Must be that all the players we draft or sign suck. It's time for Gailey and his staff to be shown the door. Look at the difference a good coach has made in SF.

We've changed coaching staffs too...

So imo, I think we are making the wrong choices when it comes to both players and coaching staff. And since some of our FO has changed as well, it leads me to believe that it all comes down to the owner and his direct staff, and their choices.

I saw the best tackling DB I've seen on this team since Winfield… sure-handed, instinctive and violent.

Actually fella, my words were "attempt to have fair, objective, analysis" as opposed to the constant whining which you advocate and practice. Ad infinitum.

To keep things simple for you, the "slash and burn" comment refers to the attitude that because the team sucks, that everything and everyone associated with the organization sucks. Is that simple enough for you?

Apparently not because you invoke the team's all-time winning percentage. That's a fact I often bring up when I'm supporting my claim that Ralph is an inept owner… not when I'm trying to evaluate our recent history of 4th round picks.

And why bring up Bell when my comment that you quoted was a direct response to Searcy and Hairston being likened to Derek Fine, Dwayne Wright, and Duke Preston?

Conflagrate much? Or is it that the discussion is too deep for your comprehension?"

Do yourself a favor fella and review my post history and see if you detect any homerism. The fact that 100% of my posts aren't indiscriminately negative doesn't automatically make me a homer… no matter if you fail or refuse to comprehend them.

My recent hammering on (in no particular order) George Edwards, Gailey's recent coaching job, the Bills OLBs qualifies me as a homer?

My comment is rich? Your comment is poor. And that's putting it nicely.

No one's conflating the argument, but rather, I'm pointing out that the roster is and will never be complete enough to win. I used the example of Demetrius Bell as another rookie people wanted to believe in who does not have what it takes to be a good player. He further represents the team-building approach this team undertook when it plays rookies out of sheer desperation because they refuse to acquire depth. This was the case in 2009 when Bell, as an untested 2nd year man with no game experience, was forced into the lineup when a player was cut and another traded.

My definition of objectivism is not standing in the middle of the road, able to fall on either side of the debate at a whim. At some point, this supposed "negativity" you speak of should be expected when we're debating the merits of a team now 9-20 in the last 2 seasons and sliding further away from success.

You can throw big words out there and seemingly make a statement without really saying anything. The fact remains that this team is going nowhere and shows no sign of doing so anytime soon. Ownership does not support personnel, who clearly have major issues and aren't helping out the mediocre coaching staff with players. Call it negativity, call it whatever, but in my book objectivity is about falling on one side of the debate, not avoiding it and seeking to suppress other's arguments because what they say isn't self-fulfilling.

Yeah but if you were really analyzing their play, none of those 3 ever looked as good as Searcy and Hairston have this season.

Fine and Wright clearly sucked. With Preston it was harder to tell because he's an interior offensive lineman.

Hairston and Searcy both play in space and have looked very good for rookies.

I'm not sure what team you are watching but Searcy has been getting WORKED. He's too slow and can't tackle. When he was playing, it showed us how important George Wilson was to our secondary.

Hairston looked good at the start of the year, but looked awful last game. He is still a prospect and is not a sure starter yet.

I'm not sure what team you are watching but Searcy has been getting WORKED. He's too slow and can't tackle. When he was playing, it showed us how important George Wilson was to our secondary.

Hairston looked good at the start of the year, but looked awful last game. He is still a prospect and is not a sure starter yet.

There is an implicit irony in saying the team has no depth, yet all the rookies are playing well. Frankly, it sounds a little Nix-ian: Buddy criticizes generalities such as "the defense" but praises each individual as a "really good player". Which is it?

No one's conflating the argument, but rather, I'm pointing out that the roster is and will never be complete enough to win. I used the example of Demetrius Bell as another rookie people wanted to believe in who does not have what it takes to be a good player. He further represents the team-building approach this team undertook when it plays rookies out of sheer desperation because they refuse to acquire depth. This was the case in 2009 when Bell, as an untested 2nd year man with no game experience, was forced into the lineup when a player was cut and another traded.

My definition of objectivism is not standing in the middle of the road, able to fall on either side of the debate at a whim. At some point, this supposed "negativity" you speak of should be expected when we're debating the merits of a team now 9-20 in the last 2 seasons and sliding further away from success.

You can throw big words out there and seemingly make a statement without really saying anything. The fact remains that this team is going nowhere and shows no sign of doing so anytime soon. Ownership does not support personnel, who clearly have major issues and aren't helping out the mediocre coaching staff with players. Call it negativity, call it whatever, but in my book objectivity is about falling on one side of the debate, not avoiding it and seeking to suppress other's arguments because what they say isn't self-fulfilling.

First of all, I wasn't "suppressing" a damn thing. I was disagreeing. We are here to discuss and debate opinions… that's the purpose of a message board. So your characterization of my post is wrong. A disagreement is not the same as a suppression, nor is it, an attack.

Speaking of attacks, calling my post "rich" and calling me a "homer" is closer to an attack than anything I posted here until you decided to contribute.

And as to your first two bolded statements above, those are just passive/aggressive attacks.

When I speak of objectivity, I believe (like I've already stated) that when you evaluate something, you attempt to separate the good from the bad. You don't paint everything with one brush, you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. You attempt to analyze who is succeeding, who is failing, who is trying, who is not trying, who is competent, who is not competent. I criticize certain things about the Bills and I point out what I believe to be positives.

Your stated view on objectivity ("is about falling on one side of the debate") appears to be that since the teams sucks and always has sucked, that there's no good in any of it.

So attempts at evaluating the many aspects of the team are pointless? Why even post then?

Your view doesn't strike you as a bit shallow and oversimplistic?

Do you really think the world is simply black and white?

He's too slow and can't tackle? I guess I'd have to ask you the same question you asked me.

There is an implicit irony in saying the team has no depth, yet all the rookies are playing well. Frankly, it sounds a little Nix-ian: Buddy criticizes generalities such as "the defense" but praises each individual as a "really good player". Which is it?

With regard to Searcy (because that's what I and MB were talking about when you commented), I don't see where the contradiction ("irony") is in a rookie 4th rounder who is replacing a veteran player doing a good job in a tough situation and playing on a lousy defense.

Are you suggesting that Searcy's play is the reason for the poor defense?

Seems to me that coaching and a shortage of quality veteran front 7 players are much closer to the root problems on defense than a rookie DB who started 2 games as an injury replacement.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan