Gailey Press Conference

cage

So does anyone at the presser ever ask Gailey about Edwards, or what? Seems like the majority of these larger issues that we discuss on TBD ought to be addressed during the press conferences. I don't want to hear Gailey (or anyone else) give some pathetic reason why we lost yet again...I want to know WTF he's going to DO about it!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So does anyone at the presser ever ask Gailey about Edwards, or what? Seems like the majority of these larger issues that we discuss on TBD ought to be addressed during the press conferences. I don't want to hear Gailey (or anyone else) give some pathetic reason why we lost yet again...I want to know WTF he's going to DO about it!!!

If he knew WTF he was going to do about it we wouldn't see the same **** week after week.

The thing that has changed the most over the course of the season is expectations.

The Bills were self-admittedly short on depth and with the injuries, that lack of talent has derailed the season.

Sports fans like ourselves always tend to overreact.

A team is never as good as they look and they're never as bad as they look.

But the hitting of the panic button and the calls to throw the baby out with the bathwater will be prevalent and recurring themes around here for the foreseeable future… and it's understandable.

This.

Everyone knew they were short on depth. Once teams figured out how to defend the short passing game, it was up to the Bills to counter that, but they didn't have the talent or depth to overcome it. The injuries pile up when you're outclassed.

Draft well, get healthy and pick up another addition or two like Barnett on the defense and then we can talk. Heck, in Week 5 Gailey was a genious.

I'm actually not too suprised, and neither should you -- if you looked objectively at the roster coming out of camp.

This.

Everyone knew they were short on depth. Once teams figured out how to defend the short passing game, it was up to the Bills to counter that, but they didn't have the talent or depth to overcome it. The injuries pile up when you're outclassed.

Draft well, get healthy and pick up another addition or two like Barnett on the defense and then we can talk. Heck, in Week 5 Gailey was a genious.

I'm actually not too suprised, and neither should you -- if you looked objectively at the roster coming out of camp.

Six straight losses comes as no surprise to you? Really? "Objectively pessimistic" look at the camp roster, you mean.

I like Gailey. But I'm starting to wonder, how many times can his bosses hear him explain after a game that he "has no answers" for what just happened? This is a multi-million dollar franchise in a billion dollar entertainment conglomerate. I know it's the Bills we're talking about, and accountability generally is scarce, but still...

He just isn't calling out players. That is the right way for a coach to handle it. Just fill in the word "players" for the word "answers" and there you have it.

He just isn't calling out players. That is the right way for a coach to handle it. Just fill in the word "players" for the word "answers" and there you have it.

I believe this to be true also. When Gailey took over this team, every player was telling him how they wanted to be good, how they despised being the losers. They wanted respect.

Gailey has a rough first year and commends his players as being built the right way, high character, all the while preaching that he expects to win every game.

The 2nd year starts and this is a new team, the leaders of the team stepped up and want to be good, this is what Gailey expected from them. The trust Nix and Gailey put on Fitz to be the guy, pays off, this is finally a good team, win or lose.

As Gailey said many times, there needs to be consistency to be a good team, you need to work harder at your craft if you want to mantain "the good team" status.

Now the leaders they chose are not responding because the going got tougher. He says he's calling the same plays that worked more than well for two months. By saying that, he's challenging his leaders to step up and be the confident guys they were early in the year, regardless of injuries (Chan never used injuries as an excuse)

I believe Chan will give Nix the green light to select a rookie QB early in next year draft. He also needs to be honest about his DC selection. If he doesn't want this to be his last HC job in the NFL he will have to make some tough decisions when the season is over.

If he knew WTF he was going to do about it we wouldn't see the same **** week after week.

True...and maybe that's the problem! I can't even stomach these pressers anymore. Early on when we lost the first couple, I sort of relied on Gailey's and Fitzy's post-game comments to feel better about the loss and have confidence that a few key plays just didn't go there way, or something that could be fixed with greater focus, more practice, more film study, etc. But then we started just getting physically dominated again all of a sudden, and now it's akin to watching a bunch of scared children out there running around.

With greater league parity than there has ever been, it's just amazing to me how this team can be so hot and cold each season. There is little to no consistency over the entire 16 games. I'm hoping that this is just an indication that 1) our starters are actually pretty good when they are all healthy, and 2) since we have yet to develop any depth, this is what happens when said starters go down. That's the only explanation that makes sense to me right now, so I'm going with that.

From the very beginning we knew this team did not have depth at any position. The injuries have really hurt the team's performance. Some have taken the opportunities and made the most of them. Some just can not muster that level of talent.

However for Gailey to say he is clueless worries the heck out of me. Sitting in the stadium yesterday it was obvious as heck to me that the Chargers wee going to fake the punt. Why didn't this occur to anyone on our coaching staff? Why would you select Brian Scott to cover a pro bowler like Antonio Gates? :wallbash:

The thing that has changed the most over the course of the season is expectations.

The Bills were self-admittedly short on depth and with the injuries, that lack of talent has derailed the season.

Sports fans like ourselves always tend to overreact.

A team is never as good as they look and they're never as bad as they look.

But the hitting of the panic button and the calls to throw the baby out with the bathwater will be prevalent and recurring themes around here for the foreseeable future… and it's understandable.

A sensible statement. And very true.

From the very beginning we knew this team did not have depth at any position. The injuries have really hurt the team's performance. Some have taken the opportunities and made the most of them. Some just can not muster that level of talent.

However for Gailey to say he is clueless worries the heck out of me. Sitting in the stadium yesterday it was obvious as heck to me that the Chargers wee going to fake the punt. Why didn't this occur to anyone on our coaching staff? Why would you select Brian Scott to cover a pro bowler like Antonio Gates? :wallbash:

Great post...and THIS is why we keep hearing about and witnessing other teams laughing.

The bad news is, right now, the Bills are 10-12 starters away.

The "good" news is, we have 14 guys on IR, and most of them are starters.

When healthy, this team is 2-3 starters away.

^^^

This. Ten starters will come from IR or the draft.

Or more.

Yep, we have a depth problem that won't get fixed overnight. It's pretty clear that we're at least a competitive team when healthy, which is a good thing and somethign to build off of.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/12/12/chan-understands-fan-frustration/

“I totally understand,” he said. ”If I were in their shoes… I’m a big Braves fan so I’ve been through it a lot of years. I do understand that part of it. But I do believe we’re on the right track and do believe we can get there. We didn’t get there this year, but I do believe we can get there.

Gailey needs to realize that when you're on a 6-game losing streak, there are certain phrases you just shouldn't be saying. For example, "we're on the right track." I realize that he means in a big-picture sense, i.e., the team is better this year than last and he expects to improve again next year, and he might not be wrong about that. But still, when it's been almost 2 months since you won a game, you just can't go around saying you're on the right track.

It also bothered me when Gailey recently said that the team is better this year than last. Yeah, it's technically true, but c'mon. It makes it sound like you kicked back and popped the bubbly once you got to 5 wins.

PR counts. It isn't everything, but it does count.

No way.

We have a solid d-line rotation but a DC who doesn't have a friggin clue how to use them. Fix that, and watch the whole thing come back together.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Dareus and Williams are solid. Edwards is passable. Beyond them there is bupkis. Carrington has been getting owned vs the run and can't seem to generate a pass rush (supposedly his forte). Troup hasn't shown much of anything and now he need "minor surgery on his spine". Heard is improving but still very raw. Not a solid rotation, I don't think.

Bills need a real pass rushing RDE. And don't tell me that the pass rush will all come from one OLB. Unless that man is Lawrence Taylor, one man can not be the entire pass rush. The DL must contribute.

Why is it so hard to field a winning team in Buffalo?? For the love of God, can they find a coach and a good QB and stop this ****. I am getting to the point where I am not even watching the games anymore. 10-15 years of this crap, and I finally have snapped.

+1 Im not a quitter, but the only way out of this is if the Bills move to LA. If they do, than my pain will stop.

Just got around to listening to Gailey's post-game press conference... it's worse listening to him grasping for explanations that watching the Bills on the field.

I'm just at a loss for figuring out how this team moves forward in a positive way. I can't recall a season that had such a promising first month, finish in such chaos. Yes, I know the Jauron 4-0 start, this easily down there with that?

In the first month I felt like we were 2-3 starters away, now we're easily 10-12 starters away from being anyone... just depressing

We were not as good as we thought we were in September, and we are not as bad as we think we are now.

This game is 50% mental and the rest is in your head.

We lack leadership and players that hate to lose. Dareus has impressed me, being a rookie and giving the team a locker room speech is rare. Draft a few more like him, at any position, and we will get better.

I think a better DC will help a lot too.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Dareus and Williams are solid. Edwards is passable. Beyond them there is bupkis. Carrington has been getting owned vs the run and can't seem to generate a pass rush (supposedly his forte). Troup hasn't shown much of anything and now he need "minor surgery on his spine". Heard is improving but still very raw. Not a solid rotation, I don't think.

Bills need a real pass rushing RDE. And don't tell me that the pass rush will all come from one OLB. Unless that man is Lawrence Taylor, one man can not be the entire pass rush. The DL must contribute.

Our DLine is expected to generate a pass rush going 4 v 6 with NO creativity in the "play calling?"