This Manning Situation Will Be THE Talk

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They both could easily be in Indy next year. Peyton could start IF healthy which is an enormous IF. And if his career is over then you start Luck. The way the rookie salary cap is now makes it affordable. Really not a big deal for Indy to have both on the roster for a couple years.

There is noway that Indy is going to pony up & cut Manning a check for $28 Million in March when Luck is sitting right there to be had. They are going to end up cutting Manning because my guess is no team would be willing to take on Manning contract either. I can't say I would blame Indy for this.

Archie is on Mike & Mike right now saying he "doesnt think Peyton and Luck want to be teammates with the Colts". I hear that as "If they draft Luck, Peyton wants out", which I find even more childish and ridiculous than what this family pulled on the Chargers.

Does Peyton really think he has another 5 years in him?

Are they hinting that Peyton will move into a coaching job?

I dont get that statement.

Edited by DrDareustein

Although Peyton adroitly has avoided any discussion regarding the future, plans undoubtedly are being made. There’s a good chance that the final plan already has been crafted, and that the only thing left to do is implement it.

If that’s the case, Archie Manning’s comments from Tuesday become even more significant. Given that Archie caucused with Oliver Luck the night before Archie told FOX Sports Radio that he “doubts” Peyton and Andrew Luck want to be on the same team, it’s safe to assume that Oliver agrees with that sentiment.

Once the Colts clinch the first overall pick and once Andrew Luck declares his intention to enter the 2012 draft, look for Archie and Oliver to form a Legion of Doom-style tag team, with each former quarterback taking turns placing a little more pressure on Bill Polian and company. At some point, Oliver could explain that Andrew respects the fact that the Colts have a quarterback, and that it would make more sense for the Colts to use the first overall pick to help their quarterback win more championships.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/07/colts-cant-pay-and-trade-peyton/

Lots of good discussion here. But one question...who ponies up for Peyton? (I'm assuming that he'd be traded. No way in hell does polian simply let him walk as a FA) Peyton isn't going to go to a re-building team, he's going to go somewhere that they have a legit shot to win the super bowl in the next 3 years before he retires. But, he's also going to go to a team where they need a QB and are willing to ditch who they've got. The list of teams that fit this criteria is a short one.

You've got the Jets as a possibility, but they'd have to cut bait with dirty sanchez. They just might do it because it would put them over the top. There's the titans, but they're not exactly a super bowl contender, and i don't think Peyton alone would make them one. Danny Snider would probably ante up for Peyton, but the skins aren't going anywhere in a hurry. That team needs a lot of help. Plus, there's no room for Peyton with the Shanny & Son egos filled up the entire stadium. Chicago has Cutler. The seahawks aren't close to contending.

That leaves 2 teams. There's the 49ers, who have the defense and running game. Peyton would put them right up there with the Pack as the team to beat in the NFC. The other destination: Baltimore. Flacco has been more like Flaccid in his play, and his contract is up at year's end. They've still got the D and running game, they've got some good WRs and TEs. Seems like a perfect place for Peyton to step in and lead them to the Super Bowl.

If Peyton goes anywhere, i'm betting that Baltimore gets revenge and steals something back from Indy, and we see Peyton wearing Ravens purple next fall.

Although Peyton adroitly has avoided any discussion regarding the future, plans undoubtedly are being made. There’s a good chance that the final plan already has been crafted, and that the only thing left to do is implement it.

If that’s the case, Archie Manning’s comments from Tuesday become even more significant. Given that Archie caucused with Oliver Luck the night before Archie told FOX Sports Radio that he “doubts” Peyton and Andrew Luck want to be on the same team, it’s safe to assume that Oliver agrees with that sentiment.

Once the Colts clinch the first overall pick and once Andrew Luck declares his intention to enter the 2012 draft, look for Archie and Oliver to form a Legion of Doom-style tag team, with each former quarterback taking turns placing a little more pressure on Bill Polian and company. At some point, Oliver could explain that Andrew respects the fact that the Colts have a quarterback, and that it would make more sense for the Colts to use the first overall pick to help their quarterback win more championships.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/07/colts-cant-pay-and-trade-peyton/

Interesting.

If Archie and Oliver do get that involved (and I dont doubt they will), then if I were Bill Polian I'd say "That's nice" and draft Luck anyways. If Peyton wants to cry about it, then we can start working on a trade and it will be well known that Peyton temper-tantrumed his way out of his beloved Indy. I have to assume that he has a lot of control over trades built into his contract, and if he can't find a trade he likes and still wants to be a baby, then he can sit and pout about it, or be flat out cut.

What I'm most surprised at is that the Luck camp seems to be on board with this whining as well. I understand everyone wants to play, but you would think after seeing how well it worked for Aaron Rodgers, that Luck wouldn't mind sitting for a year or two and learning behind Manning.

Very disappointing on both sides. I'd expect more class out of both players. And yes, this is coming from the players. They are simply hiding behind their daddies. Which is even more pathetic.

Any talk of Indy this year just burns my ass.

Last year they had a record of 10-6 and made the playoffs.

This year they have been unable to scrape together a single win thus far.

In 1997 the Buffalo Bills were able to go 6-10 with Todd Collins starting 13 games and Alex Van Pelt starting 3.

Antwain Smith got more carries than the geriatric version of Thurman Thomas, although Thurman got all of the starts.

There is no doubt (in my head anyways) that the Colts' management talked and came to the conclusion that this needed to be the year that Peyton got his neck worked on, so they could justify sucking so bad that they could get Luck.

Any team that was able to go 10-6 last year, with a QB that had such dire neck issues, should be able to pull off at least a single win the following year with a QB that has a healthy neck.

I'd bet that some time in the near future, a current Colt's player will come clean and discuss the conversations regarding making sure they tank the season to get Luck.

If that happens, there should be disciplinary action taken against the Colts organization.

Edited by BILLS_ROC

Lots of good discussion here. But one question...who ponies up for Peyton? (I'm assuming that he'd be traded. No way in hell does polian simply let him walk as a FA) Peyton isn't going to go to a re-building team, he's going to go somewhere that they have a legit shot to win the super bowl in the next 3 years before he retires. But, he's also going to go to a team where they need a QB and are willing to ditch who they've got. The list of teams that fit this criteria is a short one.

You've got the Jets as a possibility, but they'd have to cut bait with dirty sanchez. They just might do it because it would put them over the top. There's the titans, but they're not exactly a super bowl contender, and i don't think Peyton alone would make them one. Danny Snider would probably ante up for Peyton, but the skins aren't going anywhere in a hurry. That team needs a lot of help. Plus, there's no room for Peyton with the Shanny & Son egos filled up the entire stadium. Chicago has Cutler. The seahawks aren't close to contending.

That leaves 2 teams. There's the 49ers, who have the defense and running game. Peyton would put them right up there with the Pack as the team to beat in the NFC. The other destination: Baltimore. Flacco has been more like Flaccid in his play, and his contract is up at year's end. They've still got the D and running game, they've got some good WRs and TEs. Seems like a perfect place for Peyton to step in and lead them to the Super Bowl.

If Peyton goes anywhere, i'm betting that Baltimore gets revenge and steals something back from Indy, and we see Peyton wearing Ravens purple next fall.

Noone has answered my question of what team is going to be willing to give Manning a check for $28 million when he has not played in over a year & just had neck surgery in the summer. If Manning is on an NFL roster in March that team is going to have to give Manning that bonus. I doubt any team is going to be willing to do that including the Colts. That is why I think he will end up getting cut sometime in Febuary.

If the Colts draft Luck (which looks likely at the moment), I see no way they'll carry both Luck and Manning on the roster. No way.

For those that didn't click on the link, we're talking about comments that were made by Peyton's dad shortly after speaking with Luck.

Then on top of that you examine the financial aspect and it's more fuel for a Colts-Manning divorce.

The Colts salary cap situation is very poor. The Colts will not draft Luck AND carry Manning through March at a cap hit of $28 million. They still have free agents Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday, and Robert Mathis to re-sign.

Irsay said that you can't have $20 million tied up in the QB position and be competitive. If the Colts carried Manning and Luck, even with the more digestible rookie salaries, the math simply does not work. We're still talking the first pick in the draft, not the 24th like Aaron Rodgers. They would have at least $35 million tied up in QBs alone.

And the sign and trade is even more unlikely because it increases the cap hit to $38 million.

If they draft Luck, Manning will be cut and be free to go to the highest bidder.

Ravens make a lot of sense, only Sucko is signed thru 2012, Ray Rice is the one whose contract is up this year.

Jets or Niners are the teams I would guess for Manning....The Niners would be such a sick team with him and how could Manning possibly not love the team, the area, the QB situation - oh my

Maybe you haven't read the replies to this thread.

Of course they draft Luck. Manning is old and frail and look what happened to the team this year.

This is a neck injury--it will never heal the way it must for him to get hit like a QB does. He woun't survivie the year--if he comes back.

i say Polian is screwed.....

as previously stated, i think Peyton is DONE.....but he's smart enough to play them along so he can cash the next $28 million......it will be a repeat of last year....go thru all the rehab...OTA's, training camp..get ready just like normal, but obviously without contact. then prior to the start of the regular season, something "medical" will come up and he will retire.

I'd be shocked if indy cut him lose before the $28 million.

IF he plays next year, and IF he leaves the AFC, what do you guys think about the Bears??

They'll need him, but Im not sure if he would be willing to play outdoors.

I'm sticking with Houston.

Yep. Big IF.

It would have to be a team that needs a quarterback and has some pieces… a team that doesn't completely suck or else I doubt Manning would be interested.

I think it would have to be a team that doesn't already have a lot of money committed to a QB. I suppose Houston is a bit of a possibility, Schaub has two years left at around $6-7 million.

I doubt the Bears. Cutler is still pretty young and was playing very well this year. He's also at the front end of a pretty big contract. Also he played well in spite of the Bears not protecting him very well. I can't see Manning behind the Bears O-line.

Seattle looks like they're turning it around and has invested in O-line in recent years. I can't stand Pete Carroll but he's done a great job there. Also, they have zero in the way of QBs. Seattle's a possibility.

I know the Dolphins are happy with how Moore has played lately but they look to have turned it around a bit and it wouldn't shock me if they entered the derby.

Kansas City is down this year but is a fairly stable franchise from an ownership standpoint. I could see Pioli pursuing Manning. And they definitely need a QB.

They certainly are not in any hurry to improve their team by trade or free agency this year!

In fairness to Indy (although this might have been part of their master conspiracy), they have less cap room than just about any other team.

If I recall correctly, at the beginning of the year, Indy had about $3-4 million in cap room compared to the Bills who had about $25 million.

In that regard, they had no leeway to sign free agents or take on salaries.