Why Pay Fitz so early?

airtas

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We keep a player: "We overpaid. No one else wanted him. Great, lets keep this team intact. I swear I'm done with this team!"

We lose a player: "WTF is wrong with this front office? Ralph is cheap! Now we're worse than a 4-12 team! I swear I'm done with this team!"

We sign a free agent: "We overpaid. No one else wanted him. I saw him play once and I thought he sucked. I swear I'm done with this team!"

We lose out on a free agent: "WTF don't we have $39M in cap space? What are we saving it for? Friggin' Ralph is cheap! I swear I'm done with this team!"

Edit:

We re-sign a player: "We should have waited! We could have had him for half the price after the season. I swear I'm done with this team!"

We let a player hit Free Agency: "Why did we wait? Now he's going to another team. Ralph is cheap! I swear I'm done with this team!"

. He is a top 15 qb that has potential to be top 10, AS WELL AS BOTTOM 10. I'll say it again, I genuinely like fitz. Smart gritty qb not afraid to let it go. The first few games, he showed he can be clutch in the 4th qtr. Something he rarely showed his first few years in the league. Since then, he's been anything but clutch. It actually looked like gave up in the Dallas game, the first jets game and the Miami game. On the road, to throw three giant eggs like that with the season in the line. Was there a more clutch time of the season than that? He played good vs the jets in game 2 then regressed vs tennesee last week. Chan put the game on his shoulders by deciding to pass almost exclusively in the 2nd half, and the results are the same. Loss. Wr play, OL play isn't very good. I know. Either is the qb play. I'm not big into stats, but I wonder what his completion % is on 3rd down after the Washington game. I'd really love to see it how many of those completions actually went for a first down. Balls are sailing. Balls are in the dirt. Balls are behind the Wr. Name it, he does it on 3rd. He gave us a GREAT run to 4-0, for that, he earned my respect. Since that, we're 1-7. For that, he is losing it. It seems to me that he is content losing. Like our teams owner. With Fitzy at the helm, we will be drafting in the top 10 until we draft his successor with one of those top 10 picks. I pray it's this year (if a good qb is on the board), so we get this thing moving. Yes, we need to improve the D, the OL, the WRs.....but nothing needs to improved as much as the play at QB. It's the most important position BY FAR, and we need a great one. Not one that is top 15, potential for top 10, potential for bottom 10. You disagree potential for bottom 10? Brady, big Ben, schaub, flacco, manning, rivers, Dalton, hasselback, tebow, romo, Eli, Vick, Rodgers, cutler, stafford, brees, Ryan, newton, Freeman, Bradford. Those are 20 QBs that CAN be viewed as better qbs than fitz. Of those 20, only 5 haven't led their teams to the playoffs, two of which are rookies. The others: stafford (chance at playoffs), tebow (chance at playoffs), schaub (chance at playoffs), Bradford (no chance, but almost did his rookie year). If you don't think all those qbs are potentially better than fitz....here's more. Sanchez, Alex smith, Vince young (yep, i said it), grossman (yep, I said that too), cassell, Palmer and Campbell. All have been to the playoffs. All CAN be considered better qbs than fitz. Maybe not statistically this year. This years stats aren't the determining factor of who Is POTENTIALLY a top 10 or bottom 10 qb. All the qbs named above, are either WAY better than fitz, or have a chance to be better than fitz/last year were better than fitz (last year isn't very far away). After this draft, there will be another 2-4 qbs that might be better than fitz, lowering him even more. STATISTICALLY fitz is a top 10 qb. His Inability to win games over the last few months have made his a bottom 10 ten qb IMO. The seasons on the line and he disappeared. Completely (minus the last jets game). Some of you guys can be content with fitz because he's better than trent, Jp, RJ and the rest of the chumps we've had. similar to Ralph being content with losing every year as long as he makes his money. We lose every year because we dont have a legit QB. Say what you want about our defense and OL, but a great QB makes the defense and OL better. We've been lacking a great qb since '96. It shows. Sorry about the wallnof text. iPad ftl

totally agree New Era. On his best days Fitzie is a good, but not great QB. The problem is that he has absolutely no upside from where he is now. Stats mean nothing. Winning is all that matters. In crunch time, he never gets it done. Look at the games we lost. Cinci-second half he was brutal. Giants-second half two horrible picks. And could not move us in the last two minutes. Jets game-did nothing. Cowboys-nothing. Dolphins-Ugh, Terrible!! Second Jets game-pretty good, until the last drive. Stevie dropped one, but missed him wide open in the end zone, and could not get us in. Titans game-missed receivers all over the field. Inside the red zone he has been good at times. But watch him enuf over the past two years, and any true football fan knows that he is not a top QB. Sure we do not have great receivers, but he just can not throw an accurate ball consistently. I am not suggesting that we have to have Rogers or Brees. But watch Fitzie compared to those guys, and other top QB's, and there is WAY too much of a gap between their ability and Fitzie's.

totally agree New Era. On his best days Fitzie is a good, but not great QB. The problem is that he has absolutely no upside from where he is now. Stats mean nothing. Winning is all that matters. In crunch time, he never gets it done. Look at the games we lost. Cinci-second half he was brutal. Giants-second half two horrible picks. And could not move us in the last two minutes. Jets game-did nothing. Cowboys-nothing. Dolphins-Ugh, Terrible!! Second Jets game-pretty good, until the last drive. Stevie dropped one, but missed him wide open in the end zone, and could not get us in. Titans game-missed receivers all over the field. Inside the red zone he has been good at times. But watch him enuf over the past two years, and any true football fan knows that he is not a top QB. Sure we do not have great receivers, but he just can not throw an accurate ball consistently. I am not suggesting that we have to have Rogers or Brees. But watch Fitzie compared to those guys, and other top QB's, and there is WAY too much of a gap between their ability and Fitzie's.

I'm sorry, but what happened at the end of the Raiders and Pats* games?

He may not be consistent in crunch time, but to say NEVER is over stating it.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm sorry, but what happened at the end of the Raiders and Pats* games?

He may not be consistent in crunch time, but to say NEVER is over stating it.

GO BILLS!!!

I love how people say "He has no upside", "He hit his ceiling", like Fitz WASNT the leading passer for the first 5 weeks of the season. Yes, his stats have dropped off as the team has slid, but he's already shown he is capable of getting the job done. What more do they want?

What is the fastest way to improve the football team? Look at the players who are terrible -- and find upgrades for them. That is why I am more focused on finding better OLBs, DL, CBs, OL, and WRs. And, when I am talking about upgrades at WR, I am talking about Jones/Roosevelt rather than Steve Johnson, who is a good receiver. Fitz is not elite -- but he is certainly adequate. I would rather replace the players that are less than adequate. Once we get to the point where our team is loaded with adequate or better players, then we can start talking about upgrading them.

What is the fastest way to improve the football team? Look at the players who are terrible -- and find upgrades for them. That is why I am more focused on finding better OLBs, DL, CBs, OL, and WRs. And, when I am talking about upgrades at WR, I am talking about Jones/Roosevelt rather than Steve Johnson, who is a good receiver. Fitz is not elite -- but he is certainly adequate. I would rather replace the players that are less than adequate. Once we get to the point where our team is loaded with adequate or better players, then we can start talking about upgrading them.

Ive been banging this drum since 2010 and very few people listen. They see the guys in the spotlight, and thats who gets the blame.

<br />I love how people say "He has no upside", "He hit his ceiling", like Fitz WASNT the leading passer for the first 5 weeks of the season. Yes, his stats have dropped off as the team has slid, but he's already shown he is capable of getting the job done. What more do they want?<br />
we want more wins Dr. Simple. In all of our losses, except the last jets game, IMO, fitz was below mediocre/hurt our team. I KNOW it's a team game and a qb can't win on his own, but we had chances in a few games and he came up short. And he doesnt even seem to care. Get pissed for once. Naaman drops a ball...please don't console him. Let him have it. Make the players accountable for their mistakes. God knows we make enough of them. Fitz was awesome the first few weeks. He's been BAD in a few games and mediocre in a few games. We need a qb that's awesome most of the time, mediocre a couple games and rarely if ever bad. Fitz is up and and down like a yo yo. We need consistency from the qb position more than any other. I don't believe he will ever be consistent. He's a decent qb, not the answer we should be looking for.

<br />What is the fastest way to improve the football team? Look at the players who are terrible -- and find upgrades for them. That is why I am more focused on finding better OLBs, DL, CBs, OL, and WRs. And, when I am talking about upgrades at WR, I am talking about Jones/Roosevelt rather than Steve Johnson, who is a good receiver. Fitz is not elite -- but he is certainly adequate. I would rather replace the players that are less than adequate. Once we get to the point where our team is loaded with adequate or better players, then we can start talking about upgrading them.<br />
I understand your philosophy, but when it comes to the qb position, adequate = mediocrity as a team. It's BY FAR the most important position on the team. I agree we need to replace in inadequate player with at least adequate players. It plays a major role in any teams success. Having a stud qb, takes some of the burden off of the inadequates. We have lots of them. We will probably have lots next year too.

For a team that is usually cheap and stingy we would have probably been able to get Fitz for half the price at this rate.

Why in the world would we negotiate mid-season, I am not saying Fitz isn't worth it (which he is not) but I just don't get it.

We do nothing in Free Agency and are cheap for everything except Kelsay and Fitzpatrick's recent deals.

You go into the season not even knowing if Fitz is your starter and 6 games in you pay him 60 mill.......what Can I say, nobody circles the wagons like the.......well you get it

ill state this first: I never like the original signing of Fitz. I couldnt wait for his contract ot be done and hime to be gone so we could have real talent competition at the position. Fast forward mid season last year and I liked what I saw of this guy. He has everything we have been looking for in a qb that you dont even know if you will get out of an unknown signing. He is tough, he is willing to give his guys a chacne to get the ball even if its not the smartest play, he has leadership that noone has had since flutie. He has the respect of his offense. He is 12 in yards passing, 12 in passing rating and 7 in tds thrown. With the exception of his three games (which i serioulsy believe he had a lingering injury from the hit he took in washington) he has been playing well. Unfortunately not everything is quite there yet but he has improved in each season and I only expect him to be better next year hopefully with a more cemented OL that can protect the pass and open the holes for the run.

Therefore being the guy who hated his sigining from day one I am applauding the resiging and expect good to great things form him and the offense next season. Rember he does not play defense and the defense is our achilles heel this season more so then the offense.

this deal made sense on numerous levels. and would've been done in training camp -- or maybe before -- had the offseason not been wiped out by the lockout.

the logic is that the Bills, for a few years, no longer have to worry about the QB position with Fitz and Thigpen in place. both are familiar with Chan's system, which makes the transition easier for now than having to introduce someone else to it in hopes he'll "get it."

the move now allows the bills to focus on many of their other needs moving forward. it all starts at qb. and if you don't have one, good luck in building a winner.

and those needs moving forward include pass-rusher, another wide receiver, offensive line and dbs. the rest of the team now has to catch up to the quarterback position. and fitzpatrick has proven he's capable of producing wins with capable players around him. at this point, there are not as many capable players around him as there were in the first two months of the season.

it's also true, that the injuries on defense has hurt that side of the ball coming together. rather than building on a slow start, the defense has essentially regressed in part because of all the different untested players being plugged in, and also due to the lack of any hint of a pass rush. it's asking too much for the offense to compensate.

jw

this deal made sense on numerous levels. and would've been done in training camp -- or maybe before -- had the offseason not been wiped out by the lockout.

the logic is that the Bills, for a few years, no longer have to worry about the QB position with Fitz and Thigpen in place. both are familiar with Chan's system, which makes the transition easier for now than having to introduce someone else to it in hopes he'll "get it."

the move now allows the bills to focus on many of their other needs moving forward. it all starts at qb. and if you don't have one, good luck in building a winner.

and those needs moving forward include pass-rusher, another wide receiver, offensive line and dbs. the rest of the team now has to catch up to the quarterback position. and fitzpatrick has proven he's capable of producing wins with capable players around him. at this point, there are not as many capable players around him as there were in the first two months of the season.

it's also true, that the injuries on defense has hurt that side of the ball coming together. rather than building on a slow start, the defense has essentially regressed in part because of all the different untested players being plugged in, and also due to the lack of any hint of a pass rush. it's asking too much for the offense to compensate.

jw

Well reasoned, cogent post, that happens also to be true. How dare you!

You must not be seeing the balls in the dirt that I have. To say that he is an inaccurate QB is being generous.

Yet he's got one of the best completion % in the league? Seriously, watch some other football games. You will notice that pretty much every QB misses a lot of passes during games - many in fact miss much more then Fitz. I'm not saying Fitz is perfect and he has thrown bad passes, but I've also seen him show crazy accuracy skills. Some passes in the Jets game were amazingly tight windows he hit spot on. The last touchdown in the Titans game was also seriously threading the needle. It was impressive to say the least.

Edited by Fitzyflakes67

I love how people say "He has no upside", "He hit his ceiling", like Fitz WASNT the leading passer for the first 5 weeks of the season. Yes, his stats have dropped off as the team has slid, but he's already shown he is capable of getting the job done. What more do they want?

Dropped off? F$tzmoney fell off a cliff!! He got all the money and since, has been trying to figure out what to do with it. I'm sure he is in the huddle saying "CJ, Jag or Mercedes? Yeah, Yeah, Yeah.. I know we are down by 40, I'll just throw a pick and then we can talk."