RIP Chester McGlockton

bills44

Wow, these 40-somethings are dropping like flies...this is very sad. I saw a lot of this guy when he was playing, and he was a beast. RIP, Chester. :(

Wow, these 40-somethings are dropping like flies...this is very sad. I saw a lot of this guy when he was playing, and he was a beast. RIP, Chester. :(

Tough game, leads to a short life. Kent Hull was only 50? Not sure of the validity of the linked study but it says avg life expectancy is 55, only 52 for linemen. Hopefully the new attention to head injuries will help. http://www.topnflnews.com/average-life-expectancy-of-nfl-players/02/2010/

Former Chief center Tim Grunhard once said "When he wanted to dominate there wasn't anything you could do to stop it. Fortunately that was only two plays per game."

That's a great quote but I can't possibly imagine how hard it is to stay motivated when you're 300+ lbs. and making millions. RIP

Former Chief center Tim Grunhard once said "When he wanted to dominate there wasn't anything you could do to stop it. Fortunately that was only two plays per game."

I'd never heard that but that's how I remember McGlockton too.

He could have been a Hall of Famer. Simply unstoppable when he wanted to be.

Tough game, leads to a short life. Kent Hull was only 50? Not sure of the validity of the linked study but it says avg life expectancy is 55, only 52 for linemen. Hopefully the new attention to head injuries will help. http://www.topnflnews.com/average-life-expectancy-of-nfl-players/02/2010/

I remember when I was in my 20s and so was Bruce Smith and I think in the middle of a contract dispute, he said Hey, look - we know that we are going to live about 20 years less than the normal person, so we need to be compensated.........I thought that's a bunch of crap. Turns out Bruce seems to be right.......Guys like McG dying from heart attack to guys even younger like Justin S. from the Steelers/West Seneca dying in crazy tragedies.

wow...only 42. suffered a massive heart attack. From the looks of the picture in this article, he seemed to be in pretty decent shape.

http://eye-on-college-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/33598731

in the pic he looked to be maybe 280-300 LBS...which was a huge weight loss for him.he played at at least 350--probably way more.

i think when people talk decreased life expectancy for NFLers you really need to do comparisons with non-athletes or non-NFLers at similar weight levels. then proper conclusions can be drawn.-there are so many factors...such as the effect of going from super strenuous activity down to relatively sedentary lives in retirement. long distance runners are always advised to very gradually reduce their activity levels when they wish to not compete anymore...So many factors as to why NFLers have such short life spans.