These are the Bills' Core Players

Got_Wood

Every team has a set of players that they build around. Some teams have a better group of talent than others, but regardless each team needs to hold on to players that make them better. The Bills can't afford to lose anymore talent, or make lateral moves that keep them in a perpetual state of mediocrity.

These are guys that the front office MUST keep around, like it or not:

QB: Ryan Fitzpatrick

OL: Eric Wood, Andy Levitre, Kraig Urbik, Chris Hairston, Erik Pears

WR: Stevie Johnson, David Nelson

TE: Scott Chandler

RB: Freddy Jackson, CJ Spiller

FB: Corey McIntyre

DL: Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams, Alex Carrington

LB: Nick Barnett, Kelvin Sheppard

CB: Drayton Florence, Aaron Williams

S: Jairus Byrd, George Wilson, Da'Norris Searcy

2012 Free Agents and others deals that need to be signed ASAP:

- Stevie Johnson: you may not like his attitude, but he is talented, works hard, and loves the city of Buffalo. We can't lose our #1 guy, even though he may end up being a #2.

- Freddy Jackson: give him a 3 year deal like Frank Gore's, that guarantees only two of the years. He is a stud, and an extremely valuable player that needs to be rewarded as such.

- Scott Chandler: great surprise this year. Dependable, good size, good hands. We need another solid TE, but Chandler is also a keeper.

- Andy Levitre: his contract runs into 2013, but he is hands down the most valuable player we have on our offensive line. Lock him up.

Players worth keeping around for another year:

- Arthur Moats

- Shawne Merriman

- Kirk Morrison

- Spencer Johnson

- Torrell Troup

- Bryan Scott

- Leodis McKelvin

- Justin Rogers

- Chad Rinehart

- Demetrius Bell

- Naaman Roosevelt

- Brad Smith

Players that need to be cut/traded, and will make this team better by doing so:

- Chris Kelsay: he's been rewarded for years of mediocrity. If we're truly moving to a 3-4 defense, he doesn't belong here anyway.

- Terrence McGee: I would hate to see him go, but the injuries are getting too frequent. Great guy, but time to move on.

- Roscoe Parrish: Lots of potential, but too small, and too injury prone.

- Donald Jones: not a bad player, but not good enough to keep around.

- Reggie Torbor: mediocre player, and not a long term solution.

- Reggie Corner: talented, but undersized and inconsistent.

- Dwan Edwards: slow, unathletic, no production.

Coaching changes:

Subtractions:

- George Edwards needs to go, and I think everyone knows it.

- George Catavolos is a good guy, and the players like him. But he has not gotten the results we need out of some high draft picks. Time for a change here.

Potential D-Coordinators:

- Dave Wannstedt: he is likely the front runner for the job because of his position and relationship with Gailey. Although, I'm not sure it's the best move if we're still planning to transition to the 3-4.

- Keith Butler, linebacker coach for the Steelers. It would be really tough to pry him away from Pitt, but maybe Whaley can work some magic here.

- Gary Patterson, TCU: One of college football’s top defensive minds. Would be a huge addition to this team.

- Bo Pelini, Nebraska: Another top defensive mind in college football.

- Potential coaches available due to being on bad teams this year: Romeo Crennel, Mike Nolan, Steve Spagnuolo.

Edited by Got_Wood

That's a crappy core of players. The only elite player on the Bills is Fred Jackson. Why in god's name would you suggest McKelvin, Merriman, and Bell are worth keeping around another year? That ship has sailed. Everyone not named Fred Jackson including Marcel Dareus, Kyle Williams, and Steve "plexiglass" Johnson is expendable.

Edited by Mr. Wonderful

That's a crappy core of players. The only elite player on the Bills is Fred Jackson. Why in god's name would you suggest McKelvin, Merriman, and Bell are worth keeping around another year? That ship has sailed. Everyone not named Fred Jackson including Marcel Dareus, Kyle Williams, and Steve "plexiglass" Johnson is expendable.

That's a bit rash, don't you think? Dareus and Williams are every bit as valuable as FJ and you keep Stevie simply because he's our most talented guy at the position, has a great rapport with Fitz, gives defense something else to think about other than Freddy.

GO BILLS!!!

You can't start from scratch. We need depth while we build this team.

Good stuff.

Chad Rinehart is a free agent after this year. He can play both guard spots and has started 5 games this year as an injury fill-in.

People who clamor about depth understand the importance of keeping guys like Rinehart, even though he's not a premier player.

Good point, I somehow missed Rinehart. He is now added to the "keep around for another year" list.

Pretty solid list OP. Hard to argue, but I can't see Kelsay going anywhere. Hand on the ground, he's been solid. Jury still out on Sheppard. We need a run thumper. I agree with San Jose, just because a player isn't elite, we need depth in a big way. We also need to pick up a veteran RB who still has some miles left.

That's a bit rash, don't you think?

You can't start from scratch. We need depth while we build this team.

Mr. Wonderful may still be in that highly irate aftermath of a Bills loss. Don't know, just speculating.

But no, you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. There is talent on this team to build with and the algebra of roster building doesn't allow for a slash and burn approach anyways.

The Bills are now 9-10 in their last 19 games… a .500 team.

Hopefully down the stretch this year and in year 3, they take the next step to legitimate playoff contenders.

There is only a couple of things about your post that i question . You say Roscoe Parrish is to small , if you would have said he was to injury prone i may have not been able to disagree with you BUT look at the Pats when you say the guy is to small .

Wes Welker , Danny Woodhead , & there are plenty more small guys in the NFL that are major contributors on their respective teams , I just wish Roscoe could stay healthy . Part of the deal is i don't think Gailey plays . If your hurt he's thinking of his next move which in some ways i think is good !!

The Merriman thing for example he could have had him take up a roster spot to try & get back but he didn't play & moved on for this year . I'm very surprised that when Mcgee went down the first time this year he didn't put him on IR immediately .

The George Edwards thing is a given , he's had 2 years to prove himself & hasn't SEE YA !!

If Merriman can come back anywhere close to pain free, he's gonna start next season. If the surgery was successful, and that's a big if, his major health issue the last two seasons is now OK. He fully recovered from his knee procedure (another one he took his time in deciding to undergo) so there is precedent of him coming back from surgery.

GO BILLS!!!

If Merriman can come back anywhere close to pain free, he's gonna start next season. If the surgery was successful, and that's a big if, his major health issue the last two seasons is now OK. He fully recovered from his knee procedure (another one he took his time in deciding to undergo) so there is precedent of him coming back from surgery.

GO BILLS!!!

I hope he does. The key is, we need depth whether he makes it back or not. We can't bank on him being healthy. I would love to see us draft a pass rusher in the 1st two rounds, and then another guy in maybe round 4 or 5.

I hope he does. The key is, we need depth whether he makes it back or not. We can't bank on him being healthy. I would love to see us draft a pass rusher in the 1st two rounds, and then another guy in maybe round 4 or 5.

Truer words have never been spoken. I just have a hunch he's gonna come back and contribute. He's still a young 27 and, with a solid rehab, can AT LEAST provide that depth and leadership. As well as create some havoc even as a situational pass rusher. Our D was not the same when he went out.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

With a big IF, I gotta say that I agree, especially when seeing TKO Spikes flying around for the 49ers this year. A good example of why not to give up on Merriman yet. And despite offering little on the field so far, I do believe he must have helped attract free agents since he came here.

Regarding Merriman, yeah, he's already under contract for next year so by all means bring him back and hope for the best.

But don't do what the team did this year and rely on him for pass rush.

It seems that the Bills believed that adding Merriman and Marcel Dareus to Kyle Williams and Chris Kelsay would equate to a decent pass rush.

This was a rather hopeful view. They miscalculated on Merriman, and didn't account for the possibility/probability that injuries would take one of the other 3.

Even in a best-case scenario, how good would the pass rush have been?

The Bills need to stop with the shoestring approach to pass rush and address it like the issue it has been for years.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Regarding Merriman, yeah, he's already under contract for next year so by all means bring him back and hope for the best.

But don't do what the team did this year and rely on him for pass rush.

It seems that the Bills believed that adding Merriman and Marcel Dareus to Kyle Williams and Chris Kelsay would equate to a decent pass rush.

This was a rather hopeful view. They miscalculated on Merriman, and didn't account for the possibility/probability that injuries would take one of the other 3.

Even in a best-case scenario, how good would the pass rush have been?

The Bills need to stop with the shoestring approach to pass rush and address it like the issue it has been for years.

I hear what you're saying, but nobody thought that 3 out of the 4 players would miss significant time with 2 of those going on IR. That has a ripple effect on everyone else on D as coaches have to adjust to different personnel, move people around, etc. I believe if the front four was intact we would have seen much better defense from everybody.

GO BILLS!!!

If the Bills intend to run a 3-4, Dwan Edwards absolutely belongs on your list.

And unless Kelvin Sheppard packs on about 20lbs of muscle, he can go share an apartment in Canada w/ Reggie Corner.

Every team has a set of players that they build around. Some teams have a better group of talent than others, but regardless each team needs to hold on to players that make them better. The Bills can't afford to lose anymore talent, or make lateral moves that keep them in a perpetual state of mediocrity.

These are guys that the front office MUST keep around, like it or not:

QB: Ryan Fitzpatrick

OL: Eric Wood, Andy Levitre, Kraig Urbik, Chris Hairston, Erik Pears

WR: Stevie Johnson, David Nelson

TE: Scott Chandler

RB: Freddy Jackson, CJ Spiller

FB: Corey McIntyre

DL: Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams, Alex Carrington

LB: Nick Barnett, Kelvin Sheppard

CB: Drayton Florence, Aaron Williams

S: Jairus Byrd, George Wilson, Da'Norris Searcy

2012 Free Agents and others deals that need to be signed ASAP:

- Stevie Johnson: you may not like his attitude, but he is talented, works hard, and loves the city of Buffalo. We can't lose our #1 guy, even though he may end up being a #2.

- Freddy Jackson: give him a 3 year deal like Frank Gore's, that guarantees only two of the years. He is a stud, and an extremely valuable player that needs to be rewarded as such.

- Scott Chandler: great surprise this year. Dependable, good size, good hands. We need another solid TE, but Chandler is also a keeper.

- Andy Levitre: his contract runs into 2013, but he is hands down the most valuable player we have on our offensive line. Lock him up.

Players worth keeping around for another year:

- Arthur Moats

- Shawne Merriman

- Kirk Morrison

- Bryan Scott

- Leodis McKelvin

- Justin Rogers

- Chad Rinehart

- Demetrius Bell

- Naaman Roosevelt

- Brad Smith

Players that need to be cut/traded, and will make this team better by doing so:

- Chris Kelsay: he's been rewarded for years of mediocrity. If we're truly moving to a 3-4 defense, he doesn't belong here anyway.

- Terrence McGee: I would hate to see him go, but the injuries are getting too frequent. Great guy, but time to move on.

- Roscoe Parrish: Lots of potential, but too small, and too injury prone.

- Reggie Torbor: mediocre player, and not a long term solution.

- Reggie Corner: talented, but undersized and inconsistent.

Coaching changes:

Subtractions:

- George Edwards needs to go, and I think everyone knows it.

- George Catavolos is a good guy, and the players like him. But he has not gotten the results we need out of some high draft picks. Time for a change here.

Potential D-Coordinators:

- Dave Wannstedt: he is likely the front runner for the job because of his position and relationship with Gailey. Although, I'm not sure it's the best move if we're still planning to transition to the 3-4.

- Keith Butler, linebacker coach for the Steelers. It would be really tough to pry him away from Pitt, but maybe Whaley can work some magic here.

- Gary Patterson, TCU: One of college football’s top defensive minds. Would be a huge addition to this team.

- Bo Pelini, Nebraska: Another top defensive mind in college football.

- Potential coaches available due to being on bad teams this year: Romeo Crennel, Mike Nolan, Steve Spagnuolo.

I would not put Carrington, Spiller & McIntyre into the "part of the core, must keep" group. Two of them have done little to nothing as they close out their 2nd pro years, and the 3rd guy is basically a ST guy...not in the "must keep" category like a Tasker or Pike was.

I disagree with the McIntyre idea. The Bills need him on the team. I think Fred would be a more productive running back with McIntyre in the back field with him. Instead of Freddie picking up blitzers, McIntyre could do it, and allow Fred to be the safety valve. Which would also force the defense to leave a LB to cover Fred, thus possibly taking a blitzer away, or allowing Chandler, or Nelson to be open. I believe the offense should use McIntyre more, a lot more. Especially since the defense is so bad.

If the Bills intend to run a 3-4, Dwan Edwards absolutely belongs on your list.

And unless Kelvin Sheppard packs on about 20lbs of muscle, he can go share an apartment in Canada w/ Reggie Corner.

I actually just put Dwan in the "see ya later" category. Very disappointing, slow, and has provided ZERO production.

Sheppard has been incredibly promising. With Kyle Williams healthy, and some better OLB's in the supporting cast, he could be very good.