These are the Bills' Core Players

Got_Wood

Bo Pelini as DC? Good luck with that.

Same goes for Patterson.

Both would be big long shots. But you have to at least TRY. I would think these guys would want a shot at an NFL job. Why not use this as a stepping stone to get a head NFL coaching gig?

Both would be big long shots. But you have to at least TRY. I would think these guys would want a shot at an NFL job. Why not use this as a stepping stone to get a head NFL coaching gig?

They have stepping stones to an NFL gig already; they're head coaches with BCS teams. They're not going to step down as head coaches from BCS programs--especially a perennial top-25 program like Pelini has--to be coordinators in the NFL. Pelini makes more money* and has more autonomy, and Patterson probably makes more money and definitely has more autonomy, than coordinators do. And they get to recruit their own players, which not even an NFL head coach gets to do. Forget it. It's complete insanity to think otherwise.

*Pelini makes about $3M per year, averaged, until 2015. http://dataomaha.com/panorama/Bo-Pelinis-revised-contract And you think he's going to be a DC here?

Edited by Offsides Number 76

Not a great core .Wish we had a healthy McGee-but that ship has sailed.Wood's and Williams' injuries are worrisome.Their health is critical of course if this team is to have any near future success.

Mgmt better make a lot of good moves very rapidly.D front 7 please.Best talent available.Not a good idea to cherry pick some guy who just had some good sack totals in college.And we need a couple of Hangartner types in FA in addition to one or two starter types;not only to fill in for the injured but to spell the starters.High picks on WRs or CBs or RBs is craziness.

Thats not a

luxury a talent thin team like the Bills has.

Bo Pelini as DC? Good luck with that.

Same goes for Patterson.

Agreed...

I would not be in favor of a College DC whatsoever...It's a HUGE step up...And with Gailey's concentration on Offense The Bills are going to need and experienced NFL DC with a proven track record...Nolan or Spagnuolo would be my choice right now... B-)

Everyone not named Fred Jackson including Marcel Dareus, Kyle Williams, and Steve "plexiglass" Johnson is expendable.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Every team has a set of players that they build around. Some teams have a better group of talent than others, but regardless each team needs to hold on to players that make them better. The Bills can't afford to lose anymore talent, or make lateral moves that keep them in a perpetual state of mediocrity.

Potential D-Coordinators:

- Dave Wannstedt: he is likely the front runner for the job because of his position and relationship with Gailey. Although, I'm not sure it's the best move if we're still planning to transition to the 3-4.

- Keith Butler, linebacker coach for the Steelers. It would be really tough to pry him away from Pitt, but maybe Whaley can work some magic here.

- Gary Patterson, TCU: One of college football's top defensive minds. Would be a huge addition to this team.

- Bo Pelini, Nebraska: Another top defensive mind in college football.

- Potential coaches available due to being on bad teams this year: Romeo Crennel, Mike Nolan, Steve Spagnuolo.

I like your analysis in general.

I don't get the Kirk Morrison love. What has he done for us? Same with Torrell Troup. Back injuries typically end DT careers. I'm sorry the guy's hurt, but if he's facing back surgery and IR (which Chan implied), it could easily take him a year to come back.

I put Kelsay in the "worth keeping" category. He's not an OLB, is the problem, and even then, he's one of the few guys making it into the backfield. Falls into the category of "we can't afford lateral moves" to me.

The most puzzling thing to me is your finger on George Catavolos. We have no pass rush. We have no linebackers. We aren't getting the coach-up of the DL and LB that we need. Either take a broom and sweep the lot of defensive assistants out the door, or Catavolos gets a pass due to the astonishing lack of pressure making it hard to evaluate his work, while Bob Sanders and Giff Smith get the hook.

Edited by Hopeful

Agreed...

I would not be in favor of a College DC whatsoever...It's a HUGE step up...And with Gailey's concentration on Offense The Bills are going to need and experienced NFL DC with a proven track record...Nolan or Spagnuolo would be my choice right now... B-)

I agree that Spags, Nolan, and even Del Rio would be a good upgrade for this team on Defense.

I like your analysis in general.

I don't get the Kirk Morrison love. What has he done for us? Same with Torrell Troup. Back injuries typically end DT careers. I'm sorry the guy's hurt, but if he's facing back surgery and IR (which Chan implied), it could easily take him a year to come back.

I put Kelsay in the "worth keeping" category. He's not an OLB, is the problem, and even then, he's one of the few guys making it into the backfield. Falls into the category of "we can't afford lateral moves" to me.

The most puzzling thing to me is your finger on George Catavolos. We have no pass rush. We have no linebackers. We aren't getting the coach-up of the DL and LB that we need. Either take a broom and sweep the lot of defensive assistants out the door, or Catavolos gets a pass due to the astonishing lack of pressure making it hard to evaluate his work, while Bob Sanders and Giff Smith get the hook.

Kirk Morrison and Troup are simply stop gap depth guys until we find a better solution. That goes for most of the "one more year" group. Those guys either have to prove themselves, or they are temporary solutions.

As far as Kelsay goes, I'm just tired of seeing this guy get a free pass in this league. He is average at best, and is completely lost as an OLB. If we go back to a 4-3, I would be fine giving him another year. But even then, it just reminds me of the mediocre Bills defense that has plagued this team over the past 7-8 years.

Catavolos has been a part of the mediocrity as well. He shouldn't get a free pass, even if he's a likable guy. That includes Bob Sanders and Giff Smith as well.

Edited by Got_Wood

Kirk Morrison and Troup are simply stop gap depth guys until we find a better solution. That goes for most of the "one more year" group. Those guys either have to prove themselves, or they are temporary solutions.

As far as Kelsay goes, I'm just tired of seeing this guy get a free pass in this league. He is average at best, and is completely lost as an OLB. If we go back to a 4-3, I would be fine giving him another year. But even then, it just reminds me of the mediocre Bills defense that has plagued this team over the past 7-8 years.

Catavolos has been a part of the mediocrity as well. He shouldn't get a free pass, even if he's a likable guy. That includes Bob Sanders and Giff Smith as well.

It's so rare that the Bills only have three down-lineman, I don't know why Kelsay gets continually hurranged here for his misgivings as an "OLB." More often than not his hand is in the dirt. And when it is, he contributes. Period.

That's a crappy core of players. The only elite player on the Bills is Fred Jackson. Why in god's name would you suggest McKelvin, Merriman, and Bell are worth keeping around another year? That ship has sailed. Everyone not named Fred Jackson including Marcel Dareus, Kyle Williams, and Steve "plexiglass" Johnson is expendable.

...And head to another decade of futility. We have a solid core, and to blow it up, well, it's not worth discussing. The time for rebuilding is over. The time for filling the holes of our core is here. We are one stud lineman, a pass rush (needs serious help), a DC and a star WR away IMO.

McKelvin is a stud on ST and the coaching staff seem to think he can be a starter. He's worth keeping one more year. At least, we need depth and he can be used as a fourth CB.

Merriman had a tremendous impact, sans stats, on our pass rush the few games he was healthy. I think most fans are in agreement he is worth one more gamble if the price is right.

Don't really know about Bell one way or another.

Are you really saying MD and KW are expendable? Yikes.