FIRE GEORGE EDWARDS!!!!

Joaquin1119

I think based on some of your earlier posts, that it was Bob Sanders, the current Bills OLB Coach.

Winner #2.

Again. The man may be a great guy and a good OLB coach. Maybe it's coincidence that the symptoms of the Packers 2008 D (lack of pass rush, confusion on the field, giving up too many big plays, giving up 4th quarter leads) just sound so much like our problems -- and coincidence that the Pack went from #22 to #7 in 1 year with a new DC and only a few additions?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point, firing Edwards won't do much on the field of play. But you know what it will do? It will show the fans and the team as a whole that this **** won't be tolerated any further. It's the symbolism of his firing that'll hopefully reverberate throughout the franchise and fans. This defense is by far, the worst in the league..and it's simply unacceptable.

I'm sick and !@#$ing tired of this offense having to carry this team EVERY SINGLE GAME (minus the redskins game). Our offense has made serious strides this year but we're still not an elite offense - we can be good/really good some games and other be quite average/below average..we can't expect the offense to go and put up 30 points every week. But you give me a defense that ranks 15th or 16th in the league in yds allowed/pts allowed (aka an average defense), and I'll give you a team that is at least 7-4 or maybe even 8-3 at this point. That's water under the bridge at this point though..what really bothers me is taht we have seen little to no improvement in this defense as teh season goes on..look at the patriots, is the patriots defensive personnel much better than ours? their entire secondary is filled with scrubs and sure they got torched for a few weeks, but their COACHING STAFF turned **** around and put players in a position to succeed. that hasn't happened here in Buffalo..if anything, our defense is getting worse as teh season continues. I'm not crazy about demanding that someone lose their job, but Edwards just does not appear to be qualified enough to be a Defensive Coordinator in this league. thus, he must go.

This is the line of thinking that has screwed a lot of franchises and businesses up. Winning reverberates through the fans- not pandering. You ignore the fans and focus on improving talent. Fans don't know squat and shouldn't be listened to.

Yes, he was fired from Green Bay for what we are seeing now with the Bills defense.

Gotcha. Somehow, I don't think this train wreck should be pinned on Sanders though, hence my confusion on where this was going. The entire defensive staff isn't really doing an outstanding job. No pass rush. Inept LB play. Completely blown coverages. Bad technique. Guys out of position all over the place. The defense is rife with confusion and chaos at every level. I'm not sure I'd stop with just Edwards. The head coach needs to get these sorts of things under control; it's his team.

Gotcha. Somehow, I don't think this train wreck should be pinned on Sanders though, hence my confusion on where this was going. The entire defensive staff isn't really doing an outstanding job. No pass rush. Inept LB play. Completely blown coverages. Bad technique. Guys out of position all over the place. The defense is rife with confusion and chaos at every level. I'm not sure I'd stop with just Edwards. The head coach needs to get these sorts of things under control; it's his team.

Some of that bad technique and people out of position are due to players trying to compensate for the garbage talent around them. Edwards may not be great either, but to completely blame him is the type of nonsense you typically get from fans

Edited by Adam

Some of that bad technique and people out of position are due to players trying to compensate for the garbage talent around them. Edwards may not be great either, but to completely blame him is the type of nonsense you typically get from fans

Note that I was pretty clear in blaming the coaching staff in general and not Edwards completely. I also realize this is a catch-22 argument. If the front office is stocking your cupboard with garbage, then your casserole will be garbage. Of course, if the chef is a moron then regardless of the quality of the ingredients the casserole will be garbage.

Don't want to pin the train wreck on Sanders, Do want to make the point Edwards may not be the only weak link on the defensive coaching staff.

I'd like to agree with you, First Man, but I can't. We ain't stars, but we have at least as much talent as some of the other teams around the league, and while they're progressing on D from week to week we started poor and have regressed from there.

If the players have poor technique and either don't know or don't man their assignments, that's on the coaches.

Note that I was pretty clear in blaming the coaching staff in general and not Edwards completely. I also realize this is a catch-22 argument. If the front office is stocking your cupboard with garbage, then your casserole will be garbage. Of course, if the chef is a moron then regardless of the quality of the ingredients the casserole will be garbage.

Casserole? :sick:

Winner #2.

Again. The man may be a great guy and a good OLB coach. Maybe it's coincidence that the symptoms of the Packers 2008 D (lack of pass rush, confusion on the field, giving up too many big plays, giving up 4th quarter leads) just sound so much like our problems -- and coincidence that the Pack went from #22 to #7 in 1 year with a new DC and only a few additions?

Actually chronologically speaking, I think I was winner #1.

Seriously though, when you're a part of an unsuccessful group, it's hard for outsiders (and even insiders) to be able to divine how much blame each individual gets.

In situations like these, the blame has to start at the top. A great DC is the tide that will lift all boats. I understand your indictment of the entire staff but it's highly speculative and somewhat unnecessary.

Edwards has to go, IMO. It's as simple as that.

This is the line of thinking that has screwed a lot of franchises and businesses up. Winning reverberates through the fans- not pandering. You ignore the fans and focus on improving talent. Fans don't know squat and shouldn't be listened to.

Thanks colin cowherd. :thumbsup:

I get your point, and fans indeed may not know squat, but a retarded invalid has enough common sense to realize that this defense is arguably the worst in the league. There's no need for pandering, just look at the stats and watch the games.

Edited by bobobonators

Thanks colin cowherd. :thumbsup:

I get your point, and fans indeed may not know squat, but a retarded invalid has enough common sense to realize that this defense is arguably the worst in the league. There's no need for pandering, just look at the stats and watch the games.

Thanks. Colin is barely a step above buffalo sports radio and jerry Sullivan......I am correct.

Actually chronologically speaking, I think I was winner #1.

So noted!

Seriously though, when you're a part of an unsuccessful group, it's hard for outsiders (and even insiders) to be able to divine how much blame each individual gets.

In situations like these, the blame has to start at the top. A great DC is the tide that will lift all boats. I understand your indictment of the entire staff but it's highly speculative and somewhat unnecessary.

Edwards has to go, IMO. It's as simple as that.

Appreciate your perspective that it's hard for outsiders to divine how much blame each individual gets. I don't think it's that speculative that if the players seem unprepared, confused, and out of position some of that blame MUST fall to the men whose job it is to get the specific positions prepared - the position coaches. Last year, new scheme, they got a pass from me. This year, no pass.

Agree that the blame has to start with the top. Disagree it's as simple as firing Edwards. I would like to see us take the Packers approach and just get out the broom on the D side.

I don't think it will happen, just saying what I'd like to see.

This team has invested heavily on defense in the draft and free agency in the last 2 years and they are

still AWFUL on defense. I believe that there is some talent on this defense including Dareus, Aaron Williams,

Barnett, Carrington, etc. At the very least, they can't possibly be this under-talented. The fact that Maybin

is producing FAR better than he did here is a HUGE indictment of Edwards and his inability to get the best

from his players.

I believe that there is some young talent on this team and some try-hard vets also on D, but they are more

than getting frustrated and are NOT improving. I think that they should fire Edwards tonight and try to salvage

what talent they have on D before they lose all of their confidence and play out as yet 2 more failed draft

classes that should be blamed on bad coaching...

Comments welcome!

I am in total agreement. When you follow this team closely, you start to feel like the players are talented and worthy of playing better than the record indicates. Something is wrong. Something is holding them back. For the past several years, we have witnessed that when players leave this team, they often play far better on some other team. I can bet that many of the players on this team (even McElvin, who is often the brunt of jokes) could be much more effective somewhere else (even Maybin is making a name for himself). I think the Bills have been getting bargain basement coaches for several years, and both play calling and player development has suffered as a result. Even if Edwards is replaced for next year, can we automatically assume that the replacement will be able to get better results from the same players? Not if he is just another bargain basement guy. And I don't think Wennstadt is going to be the savior. He has been there long enough to make his influence be felt, and the defense is not getting any better.

This team has invested heavily on defense in the draft and free agency in the last 2 years and they are

still AWFUL on defense. I believe that there is some talent on this defense including Dareus, Aaron Williams,

Barnett, Carrington, etc. At the very least, they can't possibly be this under-talented. The fact that Maybin

is producing FAR better than he did here is a HUGE indictment of Edwards and his inability to get the best

from his players.

I believe that there is some young talent on this team and some try-hard vets also on D, but they are more

than getting frustrated and are NOT improving. I think that they should fire Edwards tonight and try to salvage

what talent they have on D before they lose all of their confidence and play out as yet 2 more failed draft

classes that should be blamed on bad coaching...

Comments welcome!

Sure fire Edwards. Who cares but I want to know what Wannstedt is doing to help this team?

Wannstedt is an ASSISTANT HEAD COACH. That position is higher in the organization than a DC.

What is going on at OBD?