FIRE GEORGE EDWARDS!!!!

Joaquin1119

I have no doubts that what Edwards is trying to accomplish makes zero sense or he doesn't know how to communicate with his players.

Seeing Spencer Johnson play exclusively as a LB is wasting a player talents. He's not the greatest player in the NFL, don't get me wrong, but he will never help your team if you ask him to do things he can't perform on a consistant basis. I saw one attempted DL stunt where the three players involved got in their respective ways and being blocked by a the center and a guard.

Today there must have been two or three plays where the ball was snaped and a player was still communicating what the defensive call was.

This defense can not diagnose a play, they are easily duped by misdirection and is trying too hard to be cute at times. I know Barnett had a nice sack on a blitz but for the most part our aggresive play call is easily nullified (see Rogers blitz early in the game).

We have 5 DL on defense on almost any given play but we still look like a soft unit.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's just get over the whole "the Bills don't have talent" argument. We have a lot of talent on this team. Enough to make the playoffs. But our coaches aren't getting the most out of these guys. The one in particular I'm speaking of is George Edwards. This has been beat to death, but let me validate this point.

Buffalo Bills Defense Rank & Coach at the time:

2008: 14th (Fewell)

2009: 16th (Fewell)

2010: 28th (Edwards)

2011: 28th (Edwards)

Here are some examples of teams that changed Defensive coaches, and the resulting change of Defensive Rank:

Cowboys:

2010: 31st (Pasqualoni)

2011: 12th (Ryan)

49ers:

2010: 16th (Manusky)

2011: 1st (Fangio)

Texans:

2010: 29th (Bush)

2011: 2nd (Phillips)

See the pattern there? They didn't completely overhaul the personnel to make their defense better. It was the leadership, philosophy, and defensive coaching style that made these teams better.

Now, the Bills can continue to circle the wagons with mediocre to terrible defenses by cheaping out on Defensive Coordinators. OR they can do their homework, and go out and hire a QUALITY defensive coach. And they might just have to spend a little money to bring a guy in. But if we can spend a few million a year on Brad Smith as a wildcat QB and part time WR, we better be able to spend some money on a quality defensive coordinator.

I wrote this out in another thread, but here are some candidates I think would be worth considering:

- Steve Spagnuolo (could likely be fired)

- Mike Nolan (the whole Miami staff could be gone soon)

- Keith Butler (likely the next in line in Pittsburgh once Lebeau is retired, but maybe Whaley can work some magic here)

- Jack Del Rio (good defensive coach, at least worth considering)

Edited by Got_Wood

Mangina errr Mangini is just the ticket for DC especially in our division.

Mangini has a terrible track record as a Defensive Coordinator and Head Coach. I say no way. He only got recognition because he used to work for Belichik.

I agree. I think Chan has coached up the offense with a WR corp of Stevie, Brad Smith and a bunch of F/As, a collection of TE's that is all FAs and an offensive line of Levitre and a bunch of F/As. Now when you look to Edwards there is no improvement, no coaching up. Moats isnt progressing, Carrington isnt doing much, McKelvin is going backwards, Batten, Dwan. Kelsay is his mediocre self. He couldnt find a way to utilize Maybin. The players cant shed blocks, cant fill holes, cant keep the edge, blow assignments at crucial times, there is no rush, on and on. If Chan goes into next season, knowing his fate is on the line by keeping Edwards, then he deserves to go after next year. And I dont want the stache either.

Edited by billsfan714

Now, the Bills can continue to circle the wagons with mediocre to terrible defenses by cheaping out on Defensive Coordinators. OR they can do their homework, and go out and hire a QUALITY defensive coach. And they might just have to spend a little money to bring a guy in. But if we can spend a few million a year on Brad Smith as a wildcat QB and part time WR, we better be able to spend some money on a quality defensive coordinator.

Unfortunately, cheaping out is the way that this team will go. I believe Edwards will find a new job next season so that he can leave and save face, and Wannstedt will be named DC. And very little will change. I appreciate your thinking and you have put a lot of thought into this, but it is the Bills under Ralph that we are talking about. :censored:

Meanwhile, in the real world, two other Bills coaching castoffs, who also were considered "the REAL problem" by all knowing Bills fans are in our faces being successful today. Grey, coaching the defense in our loss and lookee who is running the Giants offense.......Kevin "Killdrive"

Meanwhile, in the real world, two other Bills coaching castoffs, who also were considered "the REAL problem" by all knowing Bills fans are in our faces being successful today. Grey, coaching the defense in our loss and lookee who is running the Giants offense.......Kevin "Killdrive"

Don't forget about Greg Williams (DC of the Saints). Mike Mularkey (OC of the Falcons), Wade Phillips too.

Edited by Kevin

Don't forget about Greg Williams (DC of the Saints). Mike Mularkey (OC of the Falcons), Wade Phillips too.

Heck....this even goes back to the Dan Henning led-offense. He was an awful OC in Buffalo that got the axe, but he then went onto to coach the Pathers in a Super Bowl that almost beat New England and he was the architect of the Wildcat for Miami a few years back.

don't think too many fans "get it". Sure, Edwards is in over his head and deserves to be canned. But the next guy in won't be much better. Why???

Ralph Wilson! Allow me to explain.

Fans perceive that Ralph is in it to win. Wrong, Wilson doesn't care if the Bills win or lose. His phylosophy is, at best, to be somewhat competetive, spend moderately, but cautiously, and always make a profit. He has idiots in the front office to enable execution of the phylosophy I just mentioned. A GM with a plan in mind to win would have a plan to build a winning franchise. As you can see, Buddy is all ovr the place. He wants a big physical 3-4 defense built for outdoors, and in particular, Buffalo weather, but whiffs on thee fronts (that's only the tip of the iceburg)...

1) Allows Chan to bring in a first time DC.

2) Switches to the 3-4 having 4-3 personnel and doesn't even have the sense to bring in a real nose tackle, or 3-4 outside LBs to enable the transition. (Ok, half hearted attempt to bring in a one legged has been...Merriman)

3) Brings in Wannstedt, a 4-3 mythical wonder guy, who hasn't done spit since the mid 90's with Dallas, to compensate for the mistake of hiring Edwards, further stunting the transition to the 3-4.

Ralph Wilson likes losers. He has no place for winners. And, anyone he hires that attempts to build his Bills into one will promptly removed.

don't think too many fans "get it". Sure, Edwards is in over his head and deserves to be canned. But the next guy in won't be much better. Why???

Ralph Wilson! Allow me to explain.

Fans perceive that Ralph is in it to win. Wrong, Wilson doesn't care if the Bills win or lose. His phylosophy is, at best, to be somewhat competetive, spend moderately, but cautiously, and always make a profit. He has idiots in the front office to enable execution of the phylosophy I just mentioned. A GM with a plan in mind to win would have a plan to build a winning franchise. As you can see, Buddy is all ovr the place. He wants a big physical 3-4 defense built for outdoors, and in particular, Buffalo weather, but whiffs on thee fronts (that's only the tip of the iceburg)...

1) Allows Chan to bring in a first time DC.

2) Switches to the 3-4 having 4-3 personnel and doesn't even have the sense to bring in a real nose tackle, or 3-4 outside LBs to enable the transition. (Ok, half hearted attempt to bring in a one legged has been...Merriman)

3) Brings in Wannstedt, a 4-3 mythical wonder guy, who hasn't done spit since the mid 90's with Dallas, to compensate for the mistake of hiring Edwards, further stunting the transition to the 3-4.

Ralph Wilson likes losers. He has no place for winners. And, anyone he hires that attempts to build his Bills into one will promptly removed.

There is a couple minutes of ny life I will never get back.

im not sure hes that far off. winning is like a bonus to making money. if he broke even thats a failure(i think its impossible to break even when you own a nfl team. you make $ every year) some of the other stuff is a little foil hat ish. but i honestly dont think he cares as long as the team does not go 0-16 but he still makes $. 10 good years out of 50 is what the bills have been. is it just ralphs bad luck? i dont think so. this stuff starts at the top.

After today's dismal performance, it has to be a foregone conclusion that George Edwards will get the ax this year. I wish that some reporters with guts would have the jingle bells to ask Chan this point blank. I assume it's an unwritten rule among the media, because that question is obvious now.

The Bills franchise is predictable, so I think what we all think will happen -- will happen. Edwards gets the ax and is replaced with Wannstedt. We'll also switch to a 4-3

After today's dismal performance, it has to be a foregone conclusion that George Edwards will get the ax this year. I wish that some reporters with guts would have the jingle bells to ask Chan this point blank. I assume it's an unwritten rule among the media, because that question is obvious now.

The Bills franchise is predictable, so I think what we all think will happen -- will happen. Edwards gets the ax and is replaced with Wannstedt. We'll also switch to a 4-3

Has Buddy retracted his commitment to the 3-4? He's been scouting for the 3-4 for a long time, as has Whaley.