Chan Gailey's Future

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn! Last time I tested, I was classified as an ISTP with leanings towards an INTJ. Given that test was nearly 10 years ago, you could bloody well be right.

Kudos. :beer:

Background in psych?

Wow. And I thought I was here because I was former WNYer looking for others to talk about the Bills. Good or bad, it doesn't matter. I just want to partake in conversations and read others opinions regarding the Bills. I sure as hell don't come here, the "retard rodeo", because I find it a "challenge" or for the "mental exercise".

I have no formal background in psychology, though I've learned a little about it here and there. As for whether you've become an INTJ, I suggest you read this playful description that "tells it like it is," and see if it fits! Or you could read something more serious, if less specific.

I've noticed that your own posts tend to be well thought-out and intellectually rigorous. Creating a post like that is a form of mental exercise, regardless of the posting quality (or lack thereof) of the majority of posters here. It's also something I appreciate--I want to know more after having read a post than I had beforehand.

A discussion can have one of two purposes: 1) To inform, enlighten, express new ideas, etc. The emphasis here is on the discussion's content. 2) Discussion can be a sort of music, with the actual content being irrelevant. The emphasis here is on building social relationships between people. This is the sole purpose of small talk, because the actual content of the small talk has zero chance of resulting in mental stimulation.

If you are an INTJ, you will strongly prefer, and be better at, the first type of communication than the second type. But both forms of communication are legitimate.

I think in the beginning of the season, Gailey was a COTY candidate, but now OUR Bills are on a downward spiral. Listen I know we have less talent than 30 other teams in the league right now, but I have not seen Chan adjust his game-plan to fool other defenses, and the George Edwards hiring should automatically put him on a very tiny hot seat. I was never really a fan of his due to his failure to have elite teams at GT (Usually had a Top 25 recruiting class year in/out) and failure to go deep in the playoffs with a stacked Dallas team (Aikman, Smith, and Irvin (1 year)). I'm not saying fire him this year, but next year if he gets of to a slow start a la Dick Jauron should we fire him. I mean he is 60, so he could retire soon. So what do you guys think.

I don't agree that we have less talent then 30 other teams right now, we just are playing like it, which a big part of it is coaching. I think we have as much, and probably more talent then the Dolphins have, and they wiped the field up with us. I think we have more talent than a few teams that are doing better then we are (i.e., Denver). I am not sure where people got the idea in calling Chan a "Mastermind" which I have seen several times, if that was the case, don't you think another team in the past 10 or so years since he was fired in Dallas would have called his number by now?

15-5, Senator. The Bills will have to play a wild card playoff game, I'm afraid.

GO BILLS!!!

I know you are being sarcastic (I hope anyways), but they already have 6 losses?

Look, if Fitz and Stevie connect on just one of those three opportunities they had in the last 30 seconds, we're talking about what a great coach he is for keeping this team together through all they been the past few weeks.

Perspective Dude, Perspective.

You might be?

I don't agree that we have less talent then 30 other teams right now, we just are playing like it, which a big part of it is coaching. I think we have as much, and probably more talent then the Dolphins have, and they wiped the field up with us. I think we have more talent than a few teams that are doing better then we are (i.e., Denver). I am not sure where people got the idea in calling Chan a "Mastermind" which I have seen several times, if that was the case, don't you think another team in the past 10 or so years since he was fired in Dallas would have called his number by now?

I know you are being sarcastic (I hope anyways), but they already have 6 losses?

I agree we have as much or more talent on the offensive side of the ball, but please let me know where on defense we have as much or more talent than the Broncos or Phins. After Dareus, Barnett, Byrd, and perhaps Wilson, it gets pretty thin. For instance, Jason Taylor, at age 51 can still outplay all of our DEs and OLBs. And he's a situational player for crissakes. Seriously, where are we as good on defense?

GO BILLS!!!

I agree we have as much or more talent on the offensive side of the ball, but please let me know where on defense we have as much or more talent than the Broncos or Phins. After Dareus, Barnett, Byrd, and perhaps Wilson, it gets pretty thin. For instance, Jason Taylor, at age 51 can still outplay all of our DEs and OLBs. And he's a situational player for crissakes. Seriously, where are we as good on defense?

GO BILLS!!!

Name me all the great defensive players that the Dolphins and Broncos have? Von Miller was benched part of the year. Champ Bailey is still good, but not the elite player he once was. Jason Taylor plays about 5 or 6 plays a game. You are going to have to go to their websites to even find out who plays defense for them to answer this question. Not saying we are good on defense, but then again, without looking it up, tell me all the good defensive players those two teams have?

I can't remember how long Gailey's contract is for, but you know Ralph isn't buying him out. I would like to see him coach a team with a better than laughable defense.

So is the defense laughable (and I agree it is) because of the personnel or the coaches? Either way the fault, or at least a big part of it falls right back on Gailey's lap doesn't it? He surely has input into the draft and free agency, and I am quite sure he picked his coaching staff. You are obviously correct in that Ralph isn't buying him out, remember the fight he put up trying not to pay Wade Phillips what he owed him.

Edited by billsfreak

WOW. It is beyond obvious you have no clue about football. Chan is no Bill Cower, but he is the best coach the Bills have had in over a decade. He’s doing fine with what he’s got. He gets a minimum of another two years.

Name me all the great defensive players that the Dolphins and Broncos have? Von Miller was benched part of the year. Champ Bailey is still good, but not the elite player he once was. Jason Taylor plays about 5 or 6 plays a game. You are going to have to go to their websites to even find out who plays defense for them to answer this question. Not saying we are good on defense, but then again, without looking it up, tell me all the good defensive players those two teams have?

I don't claim that the Dolphins and Broncos have great players (with the exception of a few), just that they're better than ours. Especially over the last half dozen games or so. The fact that they DON'T have great players and are STILL better than us makes it that much tougher to take. Like I said, I'll keep Dareus, Barnett, Bryd and Wilson out of our current starters. I think Williams at CB has potential. I'd also keep a healthy K Williams and Merriman. But that's about it as far as I can see.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't claim that the Dolphins and Broncos have great players (with the exception of a few), just that they're better than ours. Especially over the last half dozen games or so. The fact that they DON'T have great players and are STILL better than us makes it that much tougher to take. Like I said, I'll keep Dareus, Barnett, Bryd and Wilson out of our current starters. I think Williams at CB has potential. I'd also keep a healthy K Williams and Merriman. But that's about it as far as I can see.

GO BILLS!!!

You just proved my point exactly?

You just proved my point exactly?

I don't think I proved anything. You asserted that the Bills have just as good talent as the Broncos and Dolphins. I say we don't. I also said Miami and Denver don't have a bunch of great players and they are STILL BETTER THAN US. That's how bad I think most of our D players are. I've seen several of these same players on defense fail in two predominant schemes over two coaching regimes. I'm not disagreeing that better coaching would help, just that we need better players first and foremost.

GO BILLS!!!

Even if the Bills suck again next season and are out of the playoffs by December you have to remember that you really cannot fire a HC or a GM unless you have someone better that is willing to take the job. In my opinion a big reason the Bills got both Nix and Gailey because they would accept the job. You cannot just whack someone because you don't like the teams record. It takes a little thought and planning. Like in Anaheim this week, they fired their coach then instantly hired his replacement so you know the deal was done before the existing coach got the axe.

If they fire Gailey THEN start looking for a replacement they will be in the same boat they were in when they hired Gailey in the first place.

DISCLAIMER: Not that I am endorsing firing Gailey or Nix at this point. The jury is still out on them in my opinion.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I think in the beginning of the season, Gailey was a COTY candidate, but now OUR Bills are on a downward spiral. Listen I know we have less talent than 30 other teams in the league right now, but I have not seen Chan adjust his game-plan to fool other defenses, and the George Edwards hiring should automatically put him on a very tiny hot seat. I was never really a fan of his due to his failure to have elite teams at GT (Usually had a Top 25 recruiting class year in/out) and failure to go deep in the playoffs with a stacked Dallas team (Aikman, Smith, and Irvin (1 year)). I'm not saying fire him this year, but next year if he gets of to a slow start a la Dick Jauron should we fire him. I mean he is 60, so he could retire soon. So what do you guys think.

you said it you self he is working with less talent than 30 other teams....he adjusted the game plan last week if you didn't notice the amount of play action that he ran with Fitz under center. he ran heavier sets with less wide-outs. how do you think we almost beat the jets they had no idea what they were seeing. Chans offensive production over the past two years is a refreshment from the past 5 years of horrible offense. He does need to fire Edwards though that is where i don't agree with him, I think he thinks it is pointless to fire him half way through the season. we beat some good teams this year.

Even if the Bills suck again next season and are out of the playoffs by December you have to remember that you really cannot fire a HC or a GM unless you have someone better that is willing to take the job. In my opinion a big reason the Bills got both Nix and Gailey because they would accept the job. You cannot just whack someone because you don't like the teams record. It takes a little thought and planning. Like in Anaheim this week, they fired their coach then instantly hired his replacement so you know the deal was done before the existing coach got the axe.

If they fire Gailey THEN start looking for a replacement they will be in the same boat they were in when they hired Gailey in the first place.

DISCLAIMER: Not that I am endorsing firing Gailey or Nix at this point. The jury is still out on them in my opinion.

Since when? The Bills have been doing it for over a decade now.

NIx and Chan came in with a plan. They aren't finished yet. If they impliment their plan and still have a loser, then talk about a new direction.

Here is why I hold out hope: the 2011 draft. It has been the best draft in a decade. Team has a bunch of football players from that group. I want to belive as other threads have speculated, that ditching Modak was the real start of their plan. 2010's draft class still looks like the old Mordak gameplan. 2011 is way different. 2012 will help me from an opinion on whether the pattern of failure is over or not.

I wouldn't go that far...yet, but this is feeling like THE JAURON SAGA PART II:RALPH STRIKES BACK

From those who brought you the CURSE OF DOUG FLUTIE and Bledsoe to Buffalo, It's Now Dick's Turn. The Curse of Dick Jauron. The Bills Playoff Curse Saga 2011-2012 Season. Vol. 12. It's Dick's turn now!!! HAHAHAHAHA

NIx and Chan came in with a plan. They aren't finished yet. If they impliment their plan and still have a loser, then talk about a new direction.

Here is why I hold out hope: the 2011 draft. It has been the best draft in a decade. Team has a bunch of football players from that group. I want to belive as other threads have speculated, that ditching Modak was the real start of their plan. 2010's draft class still looks like the old Mordak gameplan. 2011 is way different. 2012 will help me from ( FORM ) an opinion on whether the pattern of failure is over or not.

Yea, what he said...

The baby came out... the doc held it in the air by its two feet in one hand, and then slapped it hard on the butt with the other hand...the baby started crying normally...then the baby slipped outta the doc's hand!!! It landed on its head on the floor and promptly stopped crying....then looked up at the doc with a peculiar look in its eye... a look stating...why the &%#$ did you drop me #$%-@$!

I'm starting to think that the plan by these two is simply to try and stretch their employment for as long as they can while maintaining the owners endorsement. I find it difficult to comprehend some of the scheme decisions and player moves these two have made the last two years. As old and seasoned as these two men are they should not be making the mistakes you would expect to see from first time HC & GM.

Edited by Fear the Beard

Lets be real. 15 on IR. Who is at fault there? All teams have injuries yes. We have exceded the norm. Depth is lacking and will improve with each draft. Look at all our second string and third string guys are on the field. Great experience for next year. Give it a real chance.

Chan has done an amazing job with the offensive side of the ball. Another year should only continue that growth. However after giving 2 years to Edwards, it is clear that he isn't getting the job done. Gailey needs to make a change there. If the Bilsl don't continue to improve or flatline, then let's discuss his future.