FAILey......

RkFast

After listening to Gailey’s pressers during this November death march, am I the only one that is concerned with his coined response regarding defensive breakdowns: “I have to check the film as I was too busy going over offensive stuff?” This guy is the chief executive officer on game days and only appears to be overseeing half of the operation; I am all for delegation, but he doesn’t seem to have a clue, nor does he care to have a glue about defensive football and we all know the adage that defense wins championships!

He is the HEADCOACH and yet on gameday he coaches as if he is offensive coordinator. Is he even aware of what is defense is trying to do? He seems totally focused on offense.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is the HEADCOACH and yet on gameday he coaches as if he is offensive coordinator. Is he even aware of what is defense is trying to do? He seems totally focused on offense.

He said as much. He said he focuses on the offense and does not get involved with the D-Coordinator's game management.

I don't mind a head coach who knows how to delegate, but he has to make sure that the person he is putting his trust in can get the job done. Edwards has had two years to show some progress and so far his unit is stinking up the joint.......again.

Yeah, but I just watched his press conference. Basically he said blah blah blah, we need to run better routes, F$tz needs better protection, and blah. What he should have said is we are screwed so I'm gonna keep throwing the same **** out there and see if it sticks to the wall. The Bills are gonna get destroyed by the Jets, again.

I don't think Gailey wants to fire Edwards immediately because, record-wise, Buff is far from out of contention. A staff shake up now might be interpreted by some in the locker room as giving up on this season already - which would probably assure their current free fall would continue through the rest of the season.

That said, i agree with you, i've seen enough of the Edwards hybrid experiment and think he should go after this season. The talent level on D is inadequate for anything other than a base 43 at this point. We don't even have enough decent DBs to field a competent nickel/dime defense on passing downs. Unless you're playing Denver every week, that spells death in today's league. Here's hoping Aaron Williams makes some big strides in the next few weeks.

You can't chastise Gailey for using the "film" defense. When emotions run high, one can easily misspeak. With 53 dudes in the loacker room that you are the leader of, wouldn't you be concerned about that and choose your words wisely. He could easily say this guy should have done this or that, but when you look at the film you notice something else... maybe a guy was held or foot caught in the turf... there are lots of things that can happen that you don't want to guess at and have to eat your words.

As for Wanny. OK, some posters got me started. WTF has Wanny done for anyone lately? He sucked with the Bears (look it up). He sucked with the Dolphins (look it up). He sucked with Pitt (look it up). End of story.

You can't chastise Gailey for using the "film" defense. When emotions run high, one can easily misspeak. With 53 dudes in the loacker room that you are the leader of, wouldn't you be concerned about that and choose your words wisely. He could easily say this guy should have done this or that, but when you look at the film you notice something else... maybe a guy was held or foot caught in the turf... there are lots of things that can happen that you don't want to guess at and have to eat your words.

As for Wanny. OK, some posters got me started. WTF has Wanny done for anyone lately? He sucked with the Bears (look it up). He sucked with the Dolphins (look it up). He sucked with Pitt (look it up). End of story.

Dr. he has used this comment on two straight weeks; he doesn't seem to need tape for recalling bad throws and a receiver's inability to separate, but when it comes to opponent receivers running roughshod over McKelvin or Florence he is asking for tape. My concern is that he is completely clueless when it comes to defense, I can understand areas of specialization, but a good head man needs to have attention to detail and familarity with all aspects of the operation, at least in my opinion. I believe Jauron had similar problems, but in a reverse order to Gailey.

I don't think Gailey wants to fire Edwards immediately because, record-wise, Buff is far from out of contention. A staff shake up now might be interpreted by some in the locker room as giving up on this season already - which would probably assure their current free fall would continue through the rest of the season.

That said, i agree with you, i've seen enough of the Edwards hybrid experiment and think he should go after this season. The talent level on D is inadequate for anything other than a base 43 at this point. We don't even have enough decent DBs to field a competent nickel/dime defense on passing downs. Unless you're playing Denver every week, that spells death in today's league. Here's hoping Aaron Williams makes some big strides in the next few weeks.

I think our locker room is where the problem starts. Who cares what a bunch of guys who aren't making plays think? I sure don't. Pull the trigger on Edwards, and let's get this show back on the road.

Edwards should have been gone after last season. Is there anyone who doesn't think that?

He said as much. He said he focuses on the offense and does not get involved with the D-Coordinator's game management.

I don't mind a head coach who knows how to delegate, but he has to make sure that the person he is putting his trust in can get the job done. Edwards has had two years to show some progress and so far his unit is stinking up the joint.......again.

Maybe this is the problem. Perhaps he doesn't know who the DC is.

The scary truth over the past three weeks is...he's been spending all his time focusing on the offense and we've mustered up how many points?

touche`

you have a good point; I think Chan may have gotten a bit too enamored with his spread offense. You need the right horses to win that race and right now there are too many key players hurting or out, he needs to adapt to the players he has left and come up with a simple workable offense that can eat up some clock and keep our porous defense off the field.

He may (did) suck as a head coach, but I believe his average defensive ranking was usually around 10th, and in Miami his defense over the 6 years overall average ranking was around 6th for total yards.

He is no Wade Phillips, and he does not have Ryan family connections, but his defenses have been respectable. No one is asking for him to be HC, just turn a 31st ranked defense into something that resembles an NFL defense.

Sorta like how Rex is with the Jets defense. I think this can work for a team if you have a good coordinator and the side of the ball your specializing on is performing.

another 5-5 team ...oh hey wait a minute. Every coach has a side of the ball they are more informed about and usually is the strength of the team. Boy we are really digging - you can stop digging it's called lack of players.