An insurmountable lack of leadership

Simon

Sean Merriman

Kyle Williams

Chris Kelsay

Andra Davis

Eric Wood

This might very well be the top 5 leaders on this football team and due to injury and/or foolish coaching, all of them have been marginalized and removed from positions of leadership.

This is probably just too much to overcome. :(

With personnel changing due to injuries, I would like to think the coaching staff would fill in as much as possible despite not being on the field. But when you look at that group, most of them are from the college ranks and have little NFL experience. Outside of DeHaven and Catavolos, no one on that staff has much more than 3-5 years experience in their current positions. Gailey has 2 years as a HC, and the coordinators aren't exactly top shelf either.

There's a lot of work left to do at OBD, both in personnel and the coaching staff. Yep, a lack of leadership hurts this team when things aren't going well.

This might very well be the top 5 leaders on this football team and due to injury and/or foolish coaching, all of them have been marginalized and removed from positions of leadership.

I am curious - who is which in your opinion ? I attribute much of our D woes to coaching rather than a lack of talent esp with players being out of position and schemes not countering opposing O's.

What are you thinking ?

Sean Merriman

Kyle Williams

Chris Kelsay

Andra Davis

Eric Wood

Perhaps we're wrong; I certainly hope so. But, I have to agree. From where I sit, our season is done. IMO, Wood was the last straw. You just can't keep losing your best starters and continue winning.Add to that list of leaders lost, several starters (Bell, most notably) have or are missing significant playing time. That's just a lot for any team to over come; especially a young team in the 2nd year of a rebuild.

There are still holes on this team; we all see them. I have to have faith that Gailey sees them as well. Hopefully, they get addressed this off season. Because as of today, I'd say the off season is directly where were heading.

Sean Merriman - front office gamble, IMO worth the experiment

Kyle Williams - lock out created, lack of access to training staff

Chris Kelsay - old age, sorry to see at 32 Kelsay a reliable vet is showing signs of wearing down after seasons of durability

Andra Davis - old age, Kelvin Sheppard is also better

Eric Wood - possibility preventable if the starters were pulled by the time he was injured. Either way I will always say knee braces should be mandatory for all Olineman like in college football!

This is probably just too much to overcome. :(That wasn't the same attitude the 17 Packer replacement players had last year.

Sean Merriman

Kyle Williams

Chris Kelsay

Andra Davis

Eric Wood

I hope not. Kelsay will be back right?

Sean Merriman

Kyle Williams

Chris Kelsay

Andra Davis

Eric Wood

Yep, you convinced me. I'm putting my jerseys on ebay

Sean Merriman

Kyle Williams

Chris Kelsay

Andra Davis

Eric Wood

Where do you put Barnett & Jackson?

Perhaps we're wrong; I certainly hope so. But, I have to agree. From where I sit, our season is done. IMO, Wood was the last straw. You just can't keep losing your best starters and continue winning.Add to that list of leaders lost, several starters (Bell, most notably) have or are missing significant playing time. That's just a lot for any team to over come; especially a young team in the 2nd year of a rebuild.

There are still holes on this team; we all see them. I have to have faith that Gailey sees them as well. Hopefully, they get addressed this off season. Because as of today, I'd say the off season is directly where were heading.

Fitz is a leader and he's still healthy (for the moment)

Fitz is a leader and he's still healthy (for the moment)

I think Fitz needs to be more of a leader on the field. His body language

on the field should be better. On 4th or 3rds and short can't stroll to the line of scrimmage.

These may seem like small things---.But Fitz needs to work on this. He needs to be the leader--at least on offense.

I can't think of any very good QBs who don't act the field general part well.

Sean Merriman

Kyle Williams

Chris Kelsay

Andra Davis

Eric Wood

Hey, Nix found some scrubs off the waiver wire last season to fill in and become starters

He found a TE, an OT, a WR. now he needs to work his magic again and find a pass rusher who can stay healthy (LB-DE) another OT, a center

I am curious - who is which in your opinion ? I attribute much of our D woes to coaching rather than a lack of talent esp with players being out of position and schemes not countering opposing O's.

What are you thinking ?

Andra Davis is the only one on that list who's issues are not injury related. He's one of only 2 NFL quality LB's we have on this roster and Edwards has him glued to the bench. This irritates the hell out of me as it has been so glaringly obvious the last couple weeks that this defense is in desperate need of leadership and toughness. Davis provides both of those in spades yet he's standing around watching Sheppard get his ass kicked all over the field.

Andra Davis - old age, Kelvin Sheppard is also better

Well, Sheppard is too light in the ass to fill the hole and he's too slow to cover a TE or a RB. He's always late to the pile and plays with no power on the rare occasions he gets there on time.

But yeah, aside from having no instincts or strengths whatsoever, he's a lot better. <_<

Where do you put Barnett & Jackson?

I'd put Jackson right next to Wood as the two offensive leaders, probably 1 and 1a.

I'd put Barnett down the list behind all the guys listed in the original post, only because it's his first year here. He's easily been the best LB on the field but Williams, Kelsay, Merriman and Davis have all been here longer.

Right now Jackson and Barnett (with a nod to McIntyre) might be the only actual leaders we have on the field right now. And that spells trouble.