4th and Short - - LONG BOMB

miserable_fan

Apparently our entire offense is predicated on dinking and dunking, screens and running. We stick with this philosophy 99.9% of the time with mixed results. But numerous times this year I see the Bills in a 3rd or 4th and short go deep to Stevie or Jones with an almost guaranteed incompletion.

I'd love for Chan to try these plays throughout the game to keep the defenses honest, but during the most crucial parts of the game(s), you'd think they'd stick to a higher percentage play.

Am I the only one who's noticed this? Thoughts... It drives me crazy when I see it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just this game. It seems to happen at least once every game and I don't think I've ever seen it succeed.

I agree, it's definitely not a first, Fitz did it repeatedly on 3rd and short during the Bengals game. Not sure if it's strategy or poor decision making. We can only speculate at this point, shame the reporters ask the same dumb questions week after week and don't bring this stuff up.

Apparently our entire offense is predicated on dinking and dunking, screens and running. We stick with this philosophy 99.9% of the time with mixed results. But numerous times this year I see the Bills in a 3rd or 4th and short go deep to Stevie or Jones with an almost guaranteed incompletion.

I'd love for Chan to try these plays throughout the game to keep the defenses honest, but during the most crucial parts of the game(s), you'd think they'd stick to a higher percentage play.

Am I the only one who's noticed this? Thoughts... It drives me crazy when I see it.

Sat in the stands in disbelief after that throw. Get the freaking 1st down. I don't know if that's on Fitz or Chan, but I hated the call/decision.

Suggests that Gailey has a ton of confidence in his O-line, no?

On that fourth and 2 I said to my buddy... Please I hope they don't go for the end zone.. They ran the same exact play last week except this time D. Jones wasnt double covered but the throw wasn't good. And btw Stevie was open on a little 3 yard slant that would have gotten us the first down. I just don't understand the play call. I like the down field throws, but not in critical situation like that. I agree with the OP

Yup. The OP nailed it.

Pretty simple way of looking at it, actually. Fitz saw Jones in 1 on 1 coverage downfield and made the right read, but just put the ball on Jones a little flat. Still, it hit him right in the hands.

Curious, did u see anyone else open on that play? Because i didn't.

Also, i wouldn't classify that pass as a "long bomb".

Pretty simple way of looking at it, actually. Fitz saw Jones in 1 on 1 coverage downfield and made the right read, but just put the ball on Jones a little flat. Still, it hit him right in the hands.

Curious, did u see anyone else open on that play? Because i didn't.

Also, i wouldn't classify that pass as a "long bomb".

Over head view showed Stevie had separation on a little 3 yard slant. Could have got us the first down, but again Fitz, for some reason doesnt like going to his left...

Over head view showed Stevie had separation on a little 3 yard slant. Could have got us the first down, but again Fitz, for some reason doesnt like going to his left...

I saw that as well.

Jones made a nice move on the corner, but he never really had enough separation to justify a pass. Stevie was open, but it looked like Jones was the first read all along. It was a pretty immediate decision on Fitz' part

I saw that as well.

Jones made a nice move on the corner, but he never really had enough separation to justify a pass. Stevie was open, but it looked like Jones was the first read all along. It was a pretty immediate decision on Fitz' part

And it's been Fitzs MO, for the past 2 weeks. Make a pre snap decision on where he is going with the ball. Problem is either he is reading the defense wrong or the defenses are doing a good job disguising what they are going to do. I think it's the latter. Which means he needs to go through his reads now which would also require time in the pocket. Not sure the OL can do that...

They should be able to get great match ups on 3 or 4 and short. Especially w/ Fred in the backfield. Granted I wouldnt go w/ a long ball every short yardage late down play but I don't have a problem w/ the Bills going for the end zone there. It's twice as hard to hit a down field throw on 1st down then it is on 4th and 2.

Jones seems to get awfully open for not being an "NFL Caliber WR".

Relax people. It's not over yet.

On the play 4 receivers went short, Fitz opted to throw to the one deep route. My contention is that it had nothing to do with coaching, but an in game decision by a player.

On that fourth and 2 I said to my buddy... Please I hope they don't go for the end zone.. They ran the same exact play last week except this time D. Jones wasnt double covered but the throw wasn't good. And btw Stevie was open on a little 3 yard slant that would have gotten us the first down. I just don't understand the play call. I like the down field throws, but not in critical situation like that. I agree with the OP

Stevie was open, what does it have to do with the play call? The QB made a bad throw/decision.

Edited by Carey Bender

Everyone else was covered if you look at the replay, Simms said as much during the broadcast. Jones was the closest one to being open.

Not true, the slot receiver on the same side as Jones had a DB playing about 7 yards off. A quick throw nets a first down if he catches it